• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Going on paper you would generally expect England to still get around 450. They have a proper batsman left, two good lower order bats and a couple of tailenders of varying degrees of stickability. So you have the batsmen who'd average around 45, 25-30 twice, 15 and 10. Obviously one will get a not out and you'll get plenty of variance, but you'd hope they can bat well and get up to that mark and possibly beyond on what is a good wicket to bat on.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Was feeling off colour last night and fell asleep in the lunch break (my disposition certainly wasn't helped by what I saw in the first session). Sounds like Australia regained some dignity in the final session, but that opening session was as poor a session from Australia as I can remember. Fairplay to Cook and especially Strauss. Johnson in particular made it easier for them early, but they did a fantastic job - a nice way to celebrate their record breaking innings together.

Well done to Mitch on his 100th wicket, although it came about four hours too late. Hope he finds some form soon. With Lee soon to be avAilable and Clark mixing drinks, if he doesn't improve it's a painful sight for the Aussie team management.

Hope Hauritz is ok - but I did laugh at the description in the Cricinfo day summary of him immediately signalling the dressing room before nearly vomiting on the pitch.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I'm a bit happier having seen them. Generally the balls which got the batsmen out were good balls. KP's in particular was an absolute snorter and no-one can accuse him of throwing it away today. Others will be disappointed: Colly's chip to mid-on, Prior's failure to keep out what was admittedly a wonderful inswinger from Johnson.
cricinfo did.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Thunder and lightning (very very frightening) here in London atm. Forecast for the rest of the game ain't great either - looks rainy tomorrow. Could be difficult for the batsmen going off and on tomorrow, but if the outfield's wet the ball might not swing. We shall see...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haven't seen any pos-tea highlights but woke up pleasantly surprised (score was ok too).

So, better bowling, poor shots? What was it?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Haven't seen any pos-tea highlights but woke up pleasantly surprised (score was ok too).

So, better bowling, poor shots? What was it?
KP got a good one, got a very fine edge to the keeper who managed to hold on to it which was a bit of a surprise given the day he'd had

Collingwood will be kicking himself - he tamely chipped Clarke to mid-on - but tbf he does score a lot of runs with that shot

Freddie prodding and edging to slip

Prior bowled through the gate by a lovely inswinger, but a loose looking shot

Some uncannily similar dismissals to Cardiff actually, esp when you add Bopara's lbw

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Thunder and lightning (very very frightening) here in London atm. Forecast for the rest of the game ain't great either - looks rainy tomorrow. Could be difficult for the batsmen going off and on tomorrow, but if the outfield's wet the ball might not swing. We shall see...
Not good for tailenders. Generally they (like all batsmen) perform better when set but find it harder to start again after interruptions.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Just saw Fred's dismissal - nice outswinger from Hilfenhaus, drew him forward defensively, caught at 2nd slip by St Ricky

Burgey

KP got a good one, got a very fine edge to the keeper who managed to hold on to it which was a bit of a surprise given the day he'd had

Collingwood will be kicking himself - he tamely chipped Clarke to mid-on - but tbf he does score a lot of runs with that shot

Freddie prodding and edging to slip

Prior bowled through the gate by a lovely inswinger, but a loose looking shot

Some uncannily similar dismissals to Cardiff actually, esp when you add Bopara's lbw
Ta mate. Whereabouts in London are you?

Burgey

South. Clapham Junction.
Ah. Was over there running a case in 03. Didn't get to that part of town.

To say it's a sizeable city is something of an understatement. Kills me to say it, but I really loved it.

A lot of English people though :).

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So was Johnson's spells in the third session any better than the tripe he bowled in the first two?

EDIT: I saw his wicket taking ball, which was very, very good but I'm talking about his spell.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
So was Johnson's spells in the third session any better than the tripe he bowled in the first two?

EDIT: I saw his wicket taking ball, which was very, very good but I'm talking about his spell.
Ah, I was stuck at work so didn't see enough to form a judgment. The reports suggest that he bowled a bit better, and from the highlights he was still getting hit but there were fewer clips of rank wide long hops. And it was amazing that each new batsman was greeted to the crease with something full and tempting on or outside leg stump.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah. Was over there running a case in 03. Didn't get to that part of town.

To say it's a sizeable city is something of an understatement. Kills me to say it, but I really loved it.

A lot of English people though :).
Running a case? You're not of the legal persuasion are you?