• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England's field placings have been schoolboyesque....and no Jimmy Anderson...is Strauss on drugs?
Apart from anything else, Anderson needs to bowl before the ball gets much older.

These two look completely untroubled now. Strauss needs to make a decision very soon indeed.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
With that beautiful coverdrive from Michael Clarke brings Broad's average is back over 40... can't say I didn't see that coming, TBH.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Wish someone in the commentary box would point out that he's bowled absolute ****house and shouldn't be bowling. Probably try and make excuses for him.

ripper868

International Coach
Loved that side angle of north taking panesar tothe boundary, kept his head down the whole time, if your coaching kiddies show them that, good place to start to develp a good technique.

Steulen

International Regular
First hint of criticism from Bumble, although he prefers to call it a 'dilemma', saying Panesar should be bowling from the other end. Yeah, Bumble, it's really necessary Broad bowls with the wind otherwise he wouldn't be threatening. Oh, wait...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I honestly don't think Harmison in along with Onions for the second test would be a bad move. It's not like England will be hurting for batting depth that much with Swann already at 8, and he's been in decent form, and as much as it's been overhyped, he did obviously get Hughes out twice.

Definitely have to bring Onions in for Panesar, but I think Harmison would compliment Anderson, Flintoff and Onions a little better than Broad does. Just doesn't seem a test bowler yet, even if he has the basic attributes of one, and it would add a little more variety.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
For all the criticism Monty Panesar has received pre-selection, he is bowling very well. Not a bowler who is out of form. Almost feels like a sub-continent game with fielders around the bat, plenty of "oohing" and "aahing", and the occasional ball spinning sharply.

He may well not have progressed very far since his debut over 3 years ago, but he is still young in spin bowling years, and has some real ability to continue to work with.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I honestly don't think Harmison in along with Onions for the second test would be a bad move. It's not like England will be hurting for batting depth that much with Swann already at 8, and he's been in decent form, and as much as it's been overhyped, he did obviously get Hughes out twice.

Definitely have to bring Onions in for Panesar, but I think Harmison would compliment Anderson, Flintoff and Onions a little better than Broad does. Just doesn't seem a test bowler yet, even if he has the basic attributes of one.
Really worried England with drop Swann instead of Panesar, especially if Panesar gets a couple more gimmes like the Ponting wicket

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
For all the criticism Monty Panesar has received pre-selection, he is bowling very well. Not a bowler who is out of form. Almost feels like a sub-continent game with fielders around the bat, plenty of "oohing" and "aahing", and the occasional ball spinning sharply.

He may well not have progressed very far since his debut over 3 years ago, but he is still young in spin bowling years, and has some real ability to continue to work with.
There's always a lot of ooh's and aah's with Panesar bowling, even when the ball is cruising to the boundary. He's hardly troubled the batsmen

King Pietersen

International Captain
That'd be madness. Sure Swann's not bowled well, but they'd struggle to justify Panesar's inclusion, other than the fact he turns the ball into the lefties. I'd get Swann in from the end Panesar's bowling, with MSP going from the other end. Broad's bowled awfully in this game. In for his batting it seems.

SIXER. Lovely shot from Clarke.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
That'd be madness. Sure Swann's not bowled well, but they'd struggle to justify Panesar's inclusion, other than the fact he turns the ball into the lefties. I'd get Swann in from the end Panesar's bowling, with MSP going from the other end. Broad's bowled awfully in this game. In for his batting it seems.

SIXER. Lovely shot from Clarke.
If he was in for his batting he wouldn't be bowling as many overs as he is, Strauss seems to think he is our best bowler

King Pietersen

International Captain
I was joking.

He's clearly not our best bowler, how he's bowled as many overs as he has is baffling. Going to put it down to just a bad game though tbh, which an established player with a good record (Swann) would have gotten away with, but because he's already got a poor record it's putting him under immense pressure. Don't think he's finished for the series yet, I still have faith in him.

tooextracool

International Coach
If another commentator talks about Panesar's ability to bowl the arm ball Im going to throw up. He desperately needs to be bowling an arm ball, particularly to North whos having no problems getting outside the line for all of his deliveries.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Truly bizarre tactics from Strauss

Broad hasnt looked like getting a wicket and is leaking runs whilst both Clarke and North are starting to line Panesar up

Sure Swann bowled a couple of crap overs earlier but I'd assume he was the senior spinner ATM and Jimmy hasnt bowled for quite a while

Steulen

International Regular
Swann starting off with a full toss. Not in control of his length so far.

I still say Hauritz has been the best spinner so far...