• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

inbox24

International Debutant
I hope we don't get complacent, Ponting and Katich should really be looking to press on here and bat as if they were on 0. Considering the bowling attack probably 700 should be the target although realistically that might only be 550-600 unless the two at the crease push on to bigger things.

Woodster

International Captain
I hope we don't get complacent, Ponting and Katich should really be looking to press on here and bat as if they were on 0. Considering the bowling attack probably 700 should be the target although realistically that might only be 550-600 unless the two at the crease push on to bigger things.
We should really have pushed on to 900-1000 in our first innings, considering the attack we were up against, although realistically we were very happy to settle for 435, we did get complacent.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Hughes wasn't intimidated or bounced out like some are suggesting. Flintoff did bowl well but I thought Hughes played him fairly comfortably. I always feel as if you're a tad unlucky if you get out to an inside edge. His dismissal today didn't demonstrate being 'bounced out' like he was when he faced Harmison. Although it was pretty funny when Flintoff started sledging him after his first ball and Hughes turned around and almost burst into laughter.
You're kidding aren't you. Hughes went to pieces. His footwork completely deserted him. Damien Martyn explained it very clearly on SBS.

Bad day in the end for Hughes yesterday - but he's young enough, with enough self belief to put it in proper perspective and reload for the second innings and the rest of the series.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah, Hughes looked good when people bowled rubbish that was wide of the off stump, but looked fairly ordinary against the straight ball. I really don't want to sound like I am writing him off (which would be a ridiculous thing to do), but I reckon if we just bowl straight to him, he aint going to score a whole lot of runs.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hmm.. Going into the bedroom at lunch time wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done.

Well done Punter, I always remember SST's post about how often Punter tons up in the first innings (sorry if it's been brought up already) but yeah awesome performance!

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Hughes looked good when people bowled rubbish that was wide of the off stump, but looked fairly ordinary against the straight ball. I really don't want to sound like I am writing him off (which would be a ridiculous thing to do), but I reckon if we just bowl straight to him, he aint going to score a whole lot of runs.
Agree that we can't write him off, obviously. But yesterday you have to think that he got a bit overawed by the situation - facing THE Fred Flintoff, breathing fire, making the ball talk at 148kph, and getting in his face, in an Ashes test in the UK, and forgot to just play each ball on its merits in the fashion that had got him there. The plus side was that he before that displayed his great positives and he'll hopefully be better for the experience, once he watches the tape and has a chat to someone like Katich about it.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Agree that we can't write him off, obviously. But yesterday you have to think that he got a bit overawed by the situation - facing THE Fred Flintoff, breathing fire, making the ball talk at 148kph, and getting in his face, in an Ashes test in the UK, and forgot to just play each ball on its merits in the fashion that had got him there. The plus side was that he before that displayed his great positives and he'll hopefully be better for the experience, once he watches the tape and has a chat to someone like Katich about it.
I'm not sure whether he comes across as someone who gets all that nervous when batting. Obviously I have no idea what is going on in his head, but he seemed to have confident body language.

Like you said, it'll be a massive help to have Katich, Ponting and Hussey at the other end helping him out. Not only are they all massively experienced, they all seem like blokes who are very willing to put a metaphorical arm around him and give him some advice. I'm backing him to come good this series and score at least one hundred.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't ****ing wait til Jimmy starts taking a hatful in this series, seems he's been written off already :dry:
Well I for one won't write him off, it would be stupid to.

It's interesting though to heara MS Media comment to the effect Johnson didn't swing it and that spells trouble, but he finds wickets when it doesn't swing. I believe Anderson needs to show he can do that.

And tbf maybe he can do that but I haven't yet seen him do it - didn't see a lot of him in the WI, though by all reports on here, he bowled well without luck.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, it's the biggest myth that Johnson is ineffective unless he swings it back in.
And EVERYONE who sees him for the first time falls for it. Swing for Midge is simply icing on the cake - he can be a world class bowler without it.

howardj

International Coach
Given his age and raw materials, he has plenty of scope for improvement I guess, but geez Broad is lucky to be in the England team. If he's better value than Onions or Harmison then I'm a bad judge.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bumble and Botham are sitting in the studio now desperately trying to blame the ball for England's inability to take wickets.
Yep. Should have used a golf ball :).

On Hughes, I do wonder whether he's in a habit early on or when he's nervous that his trigger movements (which are so different to most everyone else's) get exaggerated, and that may be what's causing him problems atm.

Was a fine spell from Fred though. Think Fuller hit it on the head though when he noted the drop in pace in the second and third spells. Still getting miles in his legs imo.

Real problem in this innings has been the support cast though, and that's been the difference from the 05 series.

Still early days though.