• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Seeing as though Chelsea have Ashley Cole and then..... no one for their left back position, I'd say keeping Cole would be somewhat of a priority for them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Feel he's wasted at left-back, tbh. He's ridiculously fast and would give nearly every Prem right-back lots of trouble, so he really should be playing winger.

They're better off keeping Cashley and shipping Malouda off, though I'd assume Joe Cole's more likely to be in a bit of a fix here.
From what I've read Cashley is unhappy with the £120k a week the Chavs have offered him because it's not on a par with Terry's salary. Once a money-grabbing ****sucker...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Seeing as though Chelsea have Ashley Cole and then..... no one for their left back position, I'd say keeping Cole would be somewhat of a priority for them.
Its tricky, would Zhirkov be happy to play second fiddle to Cole, like Bridge?. I'm not so sure. He probably would for a season, but afterwards depening of his progression & Cole's form, frustration could very well & creep in.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Its tricky, would Zhirkov be happy to play second fiddle to Cole, like Bridge?. I'm not so sure. He probably would for a season, but afterwards depening of his progression & Cole's form, frustration could very well & creep in.
Bridge couldn't play anything but left-back, though. Zhirkov can play anywhere on the left, and based on that, it would be safe to assume he'll be getting twice (or more) the amount of games Bridge ever got in a season. Really doubt they'd spend 18mil on soimeone they see as a backup, even with all their riches.

He gives them a load of tactical options down the left side, which is usually what utility players do, but the difference is that this guy is really good. Another way Hiddink has paid off for them, very smart signing.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Bridge couldn't play anything but left-back, though. Zhirkov can play anywhere on the left, and based on that, it would be safe to assume he'll be getting twice (or more) the amount of games Bridge ever got in a season. Really doubt they'd spend 18mil on soimeone they see as a backup, even with all their riches.

He gives them a load of tactical options down the left side, which is usually what utility players do, but the difference is that this guy is really good. Another way Hiddink has paid off for them, very smart signing.
Word out, United could have probably gone for him instead of Valencia.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I really hope the United scouts & Fergie is keeping an eye on the dutch boys @ Madrid. Real's best team next season could be:

------------------------------------------CASILLAS---------------------------------------------------

RAMOS----------------------PEPE----------------ALBIOL------------------------------HEINZE

------------------------------------GAGO----------DIARRA-----------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------KAKA--------------------------------------------------

RONALDO------------------------------BENZEMA-----------------------------------SNEIJDER

Plus Raul might well & start otherwise. That means you got Robben, VDV & Huntelaar as subs. VDV is the most vulnerable, he needs to pursued until he probably snubs United.

Oh and just to prepare for any bad news on Hargreaves. Melo, Toulalan, De Rossi & M Diarra are the ones that should be considered. But unfortuantely none are attainable for a variety of reasons. So Fingers crossed until it hurts on big Owen...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
They play opposite sides of the field.
Yea, but given that Nani aint exactly established on either wing . Depending on form i can see the two swaping wings next season quite regularly.

Zhirkov would give solidity to a problematic left-wing position, that many football teams have. Then depending on the formation United play, Nani or VDV (that im advocating now) can be rotated around on the right.

Craig

World Traveller
Real's midfield would be exploited so much and how many more games is Pepe suspended for (currently sitting out 10 games because he is a violent thug and if he wasn't playing for Real, he would be having a longer time on the sidelines)?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I really hope the United scouts & Fergie is keeping an eye on the dutch boys @ Madrid. Real's best team next season could be:

------------------------------------------CASILLAS---------------------------------------------------

RAMOS----------------------PEPE----------------ALBIOL------------------------------HEINZE

------------------------------------GAGO----------DIARRA-----------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------KAKA--------------------------------------------------

RONALDO------------------------------BENZEMA-----------------------------------SNEIJDER

Plus Raul might well & start otherwise. That means you got Robben, VDV & Huntelaar as subs. VDV is the most vulnerable, he needs to pursued until he probably snubs United.

Oh and just to prepare for any bad news on Hargreaves. Melo, Toulalan, De Rossi & M Diarra are the ones that should be considered. But unfortuantely none are attainable for a variety of reasons. So Fingers crossed until it hurts on big Owen...
van der Vaart is too slow to play in England and not sure what he brings. Huntelaar is a good goal scorer, poor footballer (awful signing by Real considering he is the antithesis of their footballing ethos) and Man U just signed one of the them in Owen. Sneijder also has no real pace (Higuain will play out wide unless they get Ribery) and he plays better in the centre. Robben would be a great signing but I think his too injury prone to lay down serious money.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd also think that if United were interested in any of Real's players they would have asked for them as part of the Ronaldo deal.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Man U about to sign Bordeaux reserve, Gabriel Obertan.
Apparently having a medical as we speak. £3m the fee according to reports in France, so not too big a dent in the finances if he doesn't work out, and a good deal if he does.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Some interesting (disturbing?) quotes from Laurent Blanc:

Blanc admitted his surprise that a club of United's stature had come in for Obertan and added that the youngster needed to improve in a number of areas if he is to be a success at the Theatre of Dreams.

"I was surprised too, but it is an unexpected chance for him to play with one of the best clubs in the world," he told Europe1.

"Manchester United have been tracking him for a long time. They certainly hope to advance him, something that Bordeaux and Lorient have failed to do.

"He has the potential, but he must overcome psychological and mental challenges so he can express his true value."

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
van der Vaart is too slow to play in England and not sure what he brings. Huntelaar is a good goal scorer, poor footballer (awful signing by Real considering he is the antithesis of their footballing ethos) and Man U just signed one of the them in Owen. Sneijder also has no real pace (Higuain will play out wide unless they get Ribery) and he plays better in the centre. Robben would be a great signing but I think his too injury prone to lay down serious money.
Surely VDV & Sneijder have the game to do welll in England. If similar style players like Nasri & Rosicky can?