• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That has to be a joke, right? They'd never release him for that, both in terms of getting injured and also being away from the team planning and training.

Edit: Lol, yeah, a joke, surely. There's photos of him at Australia's training in Cardiff this morning.
Why name him in the squad then?

social

So:
1 P Hughes
2 S Katich
3 R Ponting
4 M Hussey
5 M Clarke
6 M North
7 B Haddin
8 M Johnson
9 N Hauritz
10 S Clark
11 P Siddle
That'll be the team BUT they should stick with the same side that won the first 2 tests in SA convincingly bar Clark replacing Hilfy

Maybe the imbecile Oz selectors could've taken into account a potential injury and at least given McDonald some match practice!

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Given how Hauritz has been bowling I'd be relieved, as an England fan, if he's named in the team.

Just about the only thing about him that worries me is that he's capable of scoring some useful runs but the Crim lower-middle order is already pretty strong and hardly needs shoring up.

I've no idea about Hilfenhaus' recent form and I've rarely seen him play but he does strike me as a skilful and dangerous quick bowler who swings it. I'm sure our batsmen would prefer facing a popgun spinner than him, unless the pitch is an utter dustbowl which it won't be.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's happened with Lee is exactly why I advocated a slowly-slowly approach with him. Instead of giving him some match time and seeing what happens, he busts a gut in a warm-up. What are Aus left with after pinning their hopes on Lee? A spinner who barely turns the ball and Clark, another bowler coming back from a serious injury. No game time for McDonald and barely any for Hilf.

Worst of all, it absolutely sucks for Lee. He's gone from on the sidelines to front-liner, bowled a heap of overs and is now out for a couple of Tests (if not more) and will have to find his feet all over again. Poor man-management from the selectors.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, it is weird that they've flogged Lee into the ground, and yet protected Johnson and Siddle.

A lot could rest on how the Aussie quicks get through this tour. Lee is already injured, Clark is coming back from injury, Siddle likewise and he's always injured, Hilfenhaus likewise and he's not had much game time, Watto isn't even bowling at the moment. There's only Johnson really fit, and he's supposed to have some kind of long-standing ankle injury anyway. And if they decide to play four quicks that's a really big workload in back to back tests if we manage to dig in for a while.

social

What's happened with Lee is exactly why I advocated a slowly-slowly approach with him. Instead of giving him some match time and seeing what happens, he busts a gut in a warm-up. What are Aus left with after pinning their hopes on Lee? A spinner who barely turns the ball and Clark, another bowler coming back from a serious injury. No game time for McDonald and barely any for Hilf.

Worst of all, it absolutely sucks for Lee. He's gone from on the sidelines to front-liner, bowled a heap of overs and is now out for a couple of Tests (if not more) and will have to find his feet all over again. Poor man-management from the selectors.
Symonds anyone?????

Anyway, people laughed when I said Lee should be sent to the change-rooms after his first destructive spell against the Lions - I guess they're not laughing now (unless they're Eng supporters, of course!)

The Oz management has a long and indistinguished record of total incompetence so we shouldnt be surprised

The good news is that, statistically, by far the best bowler engaged in this series is Clark and now he is guaranteed a start

The question s whether he is fit

Last edited:

Uppercut

Lee should have been told he was already in the team before the Lions game (or indeed, told that he was out of the team). Warm-up games should never be used as selection trials (particularly less than a week before the first test), and this is one reason why.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25740818-5001023,00.html

Ponting boasting about how he rev'd up Lee before the warm-up! :D

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Lee should have been told he was already in the team before the Lions game (or indeed, told that he was out of the team). Warm-up games should never be used as selection trials (particularly less than a week before the first test), and this is one reason why.
I don't agree with this at all. Particularly here where three guys hadn't really done much to press their claims. Surely you go for the guy who is in the best form.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I don't agree with this at all. Particularly here where three guys hadn't really done much to press their claims. Surely you go for the guy who is in the best form.
Word. That argument is a basically hindsight. Lee had to show he was in form in the warm-ups, it was his test trail. Even he didn't take 6, all the people who where questioning him, would still be on case.

pup11

International Coach
Though Lee's injury is a big blow, but it would be pretty unfair to say that the Ponting or the Aussie team-management should be blamed in any way for Lee getting injured here, he was desperately short on game-time, and he needed to play in the practice game.

If bowling flat-out in the practice games has led to Lee to going down with this recent injury, then wouldn't have Australia been in bigger trouble had he got injured during a test match, but still all said and done, feeling really, really bad for Lee atm.

Uppercut

Word. That argument is a basically hindsight. Lee had to show he was in form in the warm-ups, it was his test trail. Even he didn't take 6, all the people who where questioning him, would still be on case.
I said exactly the same thing before the warm-up. Surely after a couple of months with the touring squad they should know who their best bowlers are. Brett Lee in "far better than Nathan Hauritz" shocker.

Uppercut

Though Lee's injury is a big blow, but it would be pretty unfair to say that the Ponting or the Aussie team-management should be blamed in any way for Lee getting injured here, he was desperately short on game-time, and he needed to play in the practice game.
If Lee was so in need of game-time, how come he bowled so fantastically well in the match?