• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Just heard he is on pay-as-you-play but I'm sure he will be on a 'basic' wage.

Anyone know how he can fit into the Man U team?

Wants to go to the World Cup, so probably feels playing maybe 20 games at Man U will carry more weight than 38 games for Hull.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Well aside from 100k-a-week.

Laurent Blanc mark 2. :)
He won't be making that though.
Apparently he's taking a paycut of 50%. On the face of it, there are positives - free, relatively low wages, scores goals (when he's fit), tremendous experience, would be ok spending time on the bench, and hugely motivated in a WC year to perform at full capacity to get back into the England team.

And yet for all that I keep having to double check my calendar to confirm that it isn't in fact April 1.

Craig

World Traveller
Lol at stupid reports that Citeh want to sign John Terry. And yes Wayne Rooney is going to Real Madrid on a free transfer.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just heard he is on pay-as-you-play but I'm sure he will be on a 'basic' wage.

Anyone know how he can fit into the Man U team?

Wants to go to the World Cup, so probably feels playing maybe 20 games at Man U will carry more weight than 38 games for Hull.
Can see why Owen would do it, in fact I bet he can't believe his luck, but what United gain is rather less clear. His partnership with Rooney has never convinced for England.

Can only think it's because he's a cheap-ish option.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Best summer, just need Cahill and we will have my three favorite non Man U players at the club this summer.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can see why Owen would do it, in fact I bet he can't believe his luck, but what United gain is rather less clear. His partnership with Rooney has never convinced for England.

Can only think it's because he's a cheap-ish option.
What do United have to lose? It's a gamble that i don't think will come off, but he'll be on about 40k a week and for that it's completely worth it. And it's always great to take an ex-Liverpool man.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What do United have to lose? It's a gamble that i don't think will come off, but he'll be on about 40k a week and for that it's completely worth it. And it's always great to take an ex-Liverpool man.
Fair enough, as I said he has the merit of being relatively cheap and it's not like Fergie hasn't made duff signings before. Larry White was similarly ageing/high profile. Does sort of make one wonder if all or even the majority of the £80m for the winking chav will be reinvested in players, however. Last season the operating loss was (IIRC) £58m and that was with a CL victory to boost the coffers.

Honestly can't see how he'll fit into United's style of play tho, regardless.

Craig

World Traveller
If Adebayor leaves, Wenger has Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh lined up as a replacement according to French Radio Station RMC.

Craig

World Traveller
Fair enough, as I said he has the merit of being relatively cheap and it's not like Fergie hasn't made duff signings before. Larry White was similarly ageing/high profile. Does sort of make one wonder if all or even the majority of the £80m for the winking chav will be reinvested in players, however. Last season the operating loss was (IIRC) £58m and that was with a CL victory to boost the coffers.

Honestly can't see how he'll fit into United's style of play tho, regardless.
Having a medical on Friday.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seriously would rather Adebayor's lazy ****er ass here than Chamakh. Bloke is mediocrity personified.

Craig

World Traveller
Italian media is claiming Zlatan Ibrahimovic is the latest one MU are interested in. I think it is fair to say that won't be happening.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
£50k a week and no transfer fee for a player who's guaranteed to get goals against Premiership cannon fodder?

Excellent signing.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair, his wage isn't my biggest concern. I'm more worried that the doctor doing his medical is the same guy who did Hargreaves and Saha.