• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he's a ridiculously frustrating player who is too erratic for a big club to be at a big club.
Yeah, that's me. He's useless to a club like United, because he's no better than someone like Park (who i think is a decent player fwiw). He's not the world's worst player but he's not good enough for a top four side.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I think he's a ridiculously frustrating player who is too erratic for a big club to be at a big club.
I too agree that he's inconsistent but like Nani he has the attributes to be a success. Ferguson obviously thinks he can get more consistency out of him and I wouldn't count him out of doing that.

He's not useless though which is my only point. Will he be a good signing and up to Utd standard? I don't know. The people at Old Trafford think so and I'd trust their opinion as they've been more right than wrong when it comes to transfers.

roseboy64

Yeah, that's me. He's useless to a club like United, because he's no better than someone like Park (who i think is a decent player fwiw). He's not the world's worst player but he's not good enough for a top four side.
Should have just said that from the beginning. His potential is good enough for top four side though. World class potential? No. Not the same things mind.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Woah forgot to delete the "to be at a big club" bit at the end.

But rose, I think he's the type of guy who doesn't have it to become consistent. He always seems to make the same mistakes over and over again. Doesn't look like the has the learning ability to be what he can be. See Eboue.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Actually finishing first is being on top. Finishing in the top 3 being 15 points behind the winners and getting knocked out of the Champions League at first knockout stage does not equal being on top. Doing that while winning the FA Cup shows that the team is a top club but not best.
No, because it was my factual opinion and therefore you cannot be right.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And you had similar opinions about Evra and Vidic when they were doing awful on arrival? And was saying Fletcher should be out? Or were you opposite to those opinions? What about Carrick?
Evra was an interesting one. His debut was against Citeh and we lost 3-1 after they adopted a tactic of thumping the ball down the right wing where Evra got owned by the much-taller Trevor Sinclair in the air. My assessment was that he seemed a useful player, but he needed to improve his aerial ability before he'd be solid enough for the side. At the time, we had Gabriel Heinze in that position- who was awesome defensively and contributed plenty going forward- so Evra was really a signing for the future. Fair play to the guy, he certainly improved in his time here and he's now one of my favourite players at the club.

I certainly didn't call him useless on arrival, because I wasn't qualified to comment. I hadn't seen anywhere near as much of him as I have of Valencia.

Vidic genuinely excited me. I'd seen a bit of him playing for Serbia & Montenegro, and the guy was an absolute machine. Love players like Vidic, and i really thought he'd do well once he settled. Finally a replacement for Jaap Stam.

I wasn't a fan of Fletcher though. The guy was just poor for the first few years of his career at United. Even now, he's useful, but he's not exactly tearing the Premiership apart and making all his doubters look like fools. He's certainly improved though. Hopefully we see even more of an improvement.

My opinion on Carrick hasn't really changed. We all know what he can do- he's a passer. You pass him the ball and he passes it to someone else, his job is to knit the play together. He's never been any more, and he's never been any less. He's a decent player, but I sometimes wonder whether what he does is quite enough. Someone like Fabregas does everything Carrick does plus scores and sets up more goals, someone like Keane had the passing part nailed but was also a genuine ball-winner and inspiration to the team. Off the top of my head, I count seven CMs from other big four clubs I'd rate higher than Carrick- Alonso, Lampard, Mascherano, Gerrard, Fabregas, Essien and Ballack (the only remotely debateable one). The guy does a job, but he's not exactly an all-time United great.

roseboy64

Woah forgot to delete the "to be at a big club" bit at the end.

But rose, I think he's the type of guy who doesn't have it to become consistent. He always seems to make the same mistakes over and over again. Doesn't look like the has the learning ability to be what he can be. See Eboue.
Evra was an interesting one. His debut was against Citeh and we lost 3-1 after they adopted a tactic of thumping the ball down the right wing where Evra got owned by the much-taller Trevor Sinclair in the air. My assessment was that he seemed a useful player, but he needed to improve his aerial ability before he'd be solid enough for the side. At the time, we had Gabriel Heinze in that position- who was awesome defensively and contributed plenty going forward- so Evra was really a signing for the future. Fair play to the guy, he certainly improved in his time here and he's now one of my favourite players at the club.

I certainly didn't call him useless on arrival, because I wasn't qualified to comment. I hadn't seen anywhere near as much of him as I have of Valencia.

Vidic genuinely excited me. I'd seen a bit of him playing for Serbia & Montenegro, and the guy was an absolute machine. Love players like Vidic, and i really thought he'd do well once he settled. Finally a replacement for Jaap Stam.

I wasn't a fan of Fletcher though. The guy was just poor for the first few years of his career at United. Even now, he's useful, but he's not exactly tearing the Premiership apart and making all his doubters look like fools. He's certainly improved though. Hopefully we see even more of an improvement.

My opinion on Carrick hasn't really changed. We all know what he can do- he's a passer. You pass him the ball and he passes it to someone else, his job is to knit the play together. He's never been any more, and he's never been any less. He's a decent player, but I sometimes wonder whether what he does is quite enough. Someone like Fabregas does everything Carrick does plus scores and sets up more goals, someone like Keane had the passing part nailed but was also a genuine ball-winner and inspiration to the team. Off the top of my head, I count seven CMs from other big four clubs I'd rate higher than Carrick- Alonso, Lampard, Mascherano, Gerrard, Fabregas, Essien and Ballack (the only remotely debateable one). The guy does a job, but he's not exactly an all-time United great.
Fair enough.

duffer

Cristiano Ronaldo admits kicking in girl's car window

REAL Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo has admitted kicking in the car window of a teenage girl who was taking video of him in a Lisbon street.

Potuguese media say the former Manchester United star, 24, sent shards of glass into 17-year-old student Sara Pardal.

She was treated in hospital and later reported the attack to the police.

She told them she was in the car outside Ronaldo's Lisbon apartment on Sunday night because she is a fan and wanted an autograph.

The Portuguese World Player of the Year has admitted kicking the car in a rage. But he insisted the girl was working with a paparazzi photographer and has accused her of exaggerating her injuries.

Ronaldo, who has just completed his $160 million move from Manchester United to Real Madrid, said: "I regret what I did, but I can't promise that I would not react in the same way again in the same circumstances."

The incident took place on at around 9pm on Sunday in Lisbon, where the footballer is supposed to be relaxing before being presented as a Real Madrid player in Spain next Monday.

Ronaldo was heading to an Elton John concert in the Portuguese capital with his mum Dolores Aveiro, 54, sisters Elma and Catia, and a group of friends.

The star claims the girl was with a photographer who had been stalking him, "standing for days on end in front of my house, eating yogurt and waiting for anything newsworthy to happen".

He says the photographer and the girl had followed him to his house from the Ritz Hotel.

When he spotted the girl filming him, he leapt out of his $400,000 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano in a rage and kicked the car.

Ronaldo said: "This persecution caused my mother to be so disturbed and upset that I had to stop my car to try to convince them to leave us in peace.

"When I'm on my own, fine, I try to swallow it and remain indifferent. But when my mother is involved, then I'm sorry but I don't let anyone, I repeat anyone, harass her.

"When my mother is involved it is very difficult for me to keep a calm sate of mind."

Ronaldo's management company admitted in a statement: "Faced with Dolores' distress, Cristiano Ronaldo ended up reacting impulsively, kicking the car containing the individual in question and his travelling companion."

Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha described the girl as a fan who had been trying to get an autograph of Elton John at the Ritz, then went to Ronaldo's house hoping to meet the footballer.

But rival daily 24 Horas said she was in the car with freelance photographer Hugo Martins, 35.

Ronaldo has been followed closely by photographers in his native country since returning from holiday in the US

Sara went to the Sao Jose Hospital for treatment to cuts on her arm, arriving at around 11pm on Sunday night.

A spokeswoman for the hospital said: "We are not allowed to disclose any information about our patients without the consent of the patient.

"We cannot confirm even that she was treated here in the hospital."

A police spokesman said: "We cannot make any comment whatsoever. We will not be confirming or denying these stories.

"You will have to ask the girl or Cristiano Ronaldo what happened."

If state prosecutors decide Ronaldo has a case to answer, he could face charges of wounding or destroying property.

He could be ordered to pay compensation to his victim, who could also pursue a civil claim.

The girl's father Manuel Pardal, 78, said from the family home in Lisbon: "I've been told I have to cut off the phone. Goodbye."

Ronaldo claims the photographer later offered to sell him a video of the incident.

The footballer said: "He immediately tried to sell the video recording to the company that represents me, but I could never, I emphasis, never, agree.

"During the attempt to negotiate the sale of the video, the girl companion, although it could clearly be seen she had no visible injury, appeared wearing a hospital gown, which leads me to believe they plan to add various items to the small encounter that actually took place.

"Unfortunately, I know that one day soon everything they recorded will be available in every newspaper and what they falsely add will be credited, because unfortunately there are always buyers, there are unscrupulous people and there will continue to be rewards for this reckless attempt to try everything, at any cost, for personal gain.

"That's not my way. I could have bought the tape and the subject would never have been made public, but I know it will be made public.

"Because that's what I want, because this is the only way I know how to be in life."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 83,00.html

The fact he was going to an Elton John concert was pretty funny, but the bit that got me was that he; has accused her of exaggerating her injuries.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The country/ league argument matters because not everyone can adapt to different styles. Valencia has played in England and done well enough to be a target for top clubs. He's used to the league and is less of a risk than signing some Italian winger who'll get fed up within the first few games and be wanting a move.

Djemba and Kleberson didn't adapt to England moving to a top team directly and not having the chance to work themselves in by getting a regular run of games. Valencia like say Cantona has been in England for a while so now knows what to expect and is less of a gamble than the Italian winger. The German league is similar to England's in some respects so someone like Ribery would be a good buy as well noting that Ribery is a better player than Valencia.

For what the manager wants though, Valencia fits. He's got pace, will put in a tackle, works hard and has a decent cross but his finishing is off and as been admitted as much by Bruce.
Indeed. Ferguson seems to have had his fingers burned by the array of big money flops brought in c. 2000-2004.

Virtually every big money signing made by Manchester United in the last 5 years have either been English players (Rooney, Carrick, Hargreaves, going a bit further back Ferdinand) or players that have proven themselves in the Premiership (Tevez, Berbatov, van der Saar).

Johnners

I know I'm flying against the wind here, but imo there's a chance (albeit slight) that signing Owen could be a reasonably thing for Utd (Credit to F365 for the idea :p). If he's fit (obvs should be more of a chance to be fit in side where he's not expected to lead the way for the entire season) then he's a better option than say Macheda if Rooney goes down for a couple of weeks. In saying that though, it's still a highly amusing and risky signing if it happens,, and I very much doubt that Fergie wouldn't try sign another Forward to cover the loss of Tevez/Ronaldo.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Car crash of a thread lately, worst footy thread ever and the season's still a month away