• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Introducing cricket to a new country and audience

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
They were discussing cricket in Romania, talked about the (very few) local clubs, then went on to mention a topic I started on a Romanian sports forum (with 3, maybe 4 participants, and me doing the bulk of the talking), then finally called me by name as a fan who's writing to them and has good knowledge about cricket.

Since I couldn't go to Bucharest to have a try at commentary (maybe next year during the T20 World Cup, I suppose they will broadcast it then too, these contracts rarely run over a single year - but this year there are major works in my house and couldn't leave), this is the next best thing, I guess. And I feel I deserved it after all the preaching to the walls I had done since two years ago, this thread being a good document to that.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good on ya, Atisha. Its always pleasing to see one man make a difference on such an issue. Hopefully we'll be able to see/hear some of your commentary on You Tube in years to come.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
Atisha is the screen name (from a buddhist master called such), my actual name is Vasile. Still, thank you again ;)

(I should have waited for Richard to tell you that, shame on me.)

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
(I should have waited for Richard to tell you that, shame on me.)
:laugh:

Brilliant. I missed this the first time around. I'm afraid to say, you may have a bit too much character to make it as a main-stream commentator with this sort of penchant for humour!

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
So, folks, all in all the first cricketing TV experience in Romania with local commentary was a success. During and after the final quite a few people landed on my blog with cricket-related google searches. The rugby commentators mentioned cricket a few times during the IRB Nations Cup games of our national team. There's talking, there's that buzz to build on.

All those who ridiculed Eurosport's effort to bring cricket to new countries and audiences should check their words again. Yes it's Twenty20, but it's cricket, and quality cricket at that.

Now if only some station would build on that and show at least half an hour of Ashes highlights per day, that would be something. Even if I'm not sure there will be highlights to show on certain days, given the English weather.

Kensashi

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Twenty20 is the ideal vehicle to get people into cricket, IMO.

Thank you for your great service to the cricketing world! Hopefully we'll see alot more international teams playing cricket at the highest level! It's so heartening to see cricket broadening its horizons. :)

Last edited:

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
top effort - i think i am echoing sentiments already expressed, but great to see how a single person's determination can change things. Keep it up!

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
I just needed to tell the story of the last ball of the Don, my favourite cricketing story by far, for its drama and symbolism (hailed hero falls just short of a landmark, still remains the best in his field).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Wishing I'd got a bit further than "Cerberus est canis" with my Latin lessons, tbh.

I'm assuming the last couple of sentences regrets that there will be no TV coverage in Romania?

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
I can't read that! Its all written in gobbledigook! ;)

Keep pushing it. Maybe you'll be able to commentate on Romanians playing the game in the fullness of time.
Don't look now, but one of the main TV stations was interested to produce a piece of news about the triangular between teams from Romania, Bulgaria and Hungary which took place in the last weekend of June in Bucharest.

So, really, you never know.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
Don't look now, but one of the main TV stations was interested to produce a piece of news about the triangular between teams from Romania, Bulgaria and Hungary which took place in the last weekend of June in Bucharest.

So, really, you never know.
well that is more interest that Kenya media ever show in our cricket team. hope it goes ahead