• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, gotta agree with the two posts above. I wasn't happy when Capello first left Owen out of his squads but he's been vindicated. I'd be wary of sticking Owen in our team tbh, well I would if we had any other players.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree completely, it's quite clear Owen is not the player he once was, his impact was minimal for Newcastle this year, lets remember, though Newcastle were dire, they were hardly poor at creating chances, just at taking them.
Newcastle where going pretty ok between August to about december. They started capitulating from about January.

If my memory serves me correct, Capello didn't pick him for intially 2008/09 qualifiers because he claimed owen wasn't fit enough. But then for a WC qualifier either Andorra/Croatia or Belarus/Kazakstan, the friendly vs Germany (cant remember exactly). Owen was scoring goals, but Fabio picked Defoe ahead of him & basically gave a pretty lame excuse why he didn't pick Owen - basically suggesting Owen was a goal poacher...

Owen may well have once been Englands best goal scorer, but it's clear to see that he isn't any longer. He has done absolutely nothing to warrant selection to the world cup squad, and if he were picked it would be an insult to all the other English strikers who have been putting in decent performances over the course of the season. I don't particularly rate Darren Bent or Jermaine Defoe, but to suggest Owen should be ahead of them in the pecking order is madness. You can't pick a player on reputation alone, and quite frankly, Owen doesn't even have his reputation anymore. I am a fan of Owen, and his decline is saddening, but he isn't the player he once was, and until he get back to somewhere near his best he won't be considered by a top premiership club, let alone England.
Of course he is pass his peak, but i dont see much of a difference between the Owen that smashed 2 passed Russia @ Wembley in late 07 to the one right now.

The type of role Owen would play as stiker means he would be battling with Agbonlahor & Defoe for a place as back-up to Rooney. Bent, C Cole & Crouch would be battling for the back-up target man role behind Heskey (i'd prefer Bent right now)

We all know Defoe is garbage at international level, while Gabby has some exciting potential so he should be given more of a chance, but he aint a goal-scorer. This is where Owen comes in quite clearly.

He was comig off his injury woes quite nicely until newcastle started folding. Capello just doesn't rate him fully deep down also i feel. Middlesborough where failing as well but Downing was consistently picked, explain that?. Surely he wasn't a better pick ATT than Ashley Young or my boy Matt Taylor?

I firmly believe if Owen goes to a semi-decent club its back to buisness as usual for him..

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Newcastle where going pretty ok between August to about december. They started capitulating from about January.

If my memory serves me correct, Capello didn't pick him for intially 2008/09 qualifiers because he claimed owen wasn't fit enough. But then for a WC qualifier either Andorra/Croatia or Belarus/Kazakstan, the friendly vs Germany (cant remember exactly). Owen was scoring goals, but Fabio picked Defoe ahead of him & basically gave a pretty lame excuse why he didn't pick Owen - basically suggesting Owen was a goal poacher...

Of course he is pass his peak, but i dont see much of a difference between the Owen that smashed 2 passed Russia @ Wembley in late 07 to the one right now.

The type of role Owen would play as stiker means he would be battling with Agbonlahor & Defoe for a place as back-up to Rooney. Bent, C Cole & Crouch would be battling for the back-up target man role behind Heskey (i'd prefer Bent right now)

We all know Defoe is garbage at international level, while Gabby has some exciting potential so he should be given more of a chance, but he aint a goal-scorer. This is where Owen comes in quite clearly.

He was comig off his injury woes quite nicely until newcastle started folding. Capello just doesn't rate him fully deep down also i feel. Middlesborough where failing as well but Downing was consistently picked, explain that?

I firmly believe if Owen goes to a semi-decent club its back to buisness as usual for him..
First of all, Owen has either been injured/rubbish all year, so Newcastles plight has nothing much to do with this.

Second, Capello's decision not to pick Owen hardly looks like the wrong decision, even with hindsight.

The difference between the Owen then was that he was fitter, and in better form, and hadn't played terribly on the odd occasion he actually made it onto the pitch.

Owen can never play as a target man simply because he cannot hold up the ball, Owen's main asset is his finishing, using him as a target man would make him totally innefectual due to his lack of size and physical presence, Heskey, who you mentioned, is much more suited to doing this, as is Peter Crouch.

Whethe or not Capello doesn't rate him deep down is pretty irrelevant, it's not like Owen has done a single thing to justify his inclusion in the England side. At least Stewart Downing played nearly an entire season and was a standout performer for Middlesbrough, I don't rate Downing at all but at least there are some justifications for his selection. Similarly, just because a team is failing doesn't mean that a players individual form will suffer, had Owen had a good season for Newcastle whether or not they were relegated would have nothing to do with him playing for England, the reason he hasn't been selected for England is because he played poorly, not because Newcastle were poor.

Craig

World Traveller
I'm a fan of Owen, FWIW. The trouble is he's nearly 30 (will be in December IIRC), has an awful lot of miles on the clock as he's been playing since he was 16/17, a chequered (being very generous) fitness history and has looked slow & off the pace when I've seen him in his brief cameos for Newcastle. At his age there's a tendancy to view such dips in form as signs of terminal decline rather than a blip.

If he really wanted to play for an upper-middle Prem team (Villa, Toffees, Citeh, T*ttenham) he'd surely be confident enough in his fitness/form to agree a pay-to-play deal? The fact he won't could be read that he's not convinced himself.

Whatever way it falls tho he must be kicking himself he turned down that £80k a week the Geordies offered him in January.
Is there a small base retainer thrown in per week, but the more he plays the more he earns (I think the analogy I can think of is like a salesman who works for comission)?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is there a small base retainer thrown in per week, but the more he plays the more he earns (I think the analogy I can think of is like a salesman who works for comission)?
Gonna hold my hands up and say I'm not sure of the ins-and-outs and suspect each contract is slightly different anyway, but the idea behind a pay-to-play contract is to incentivise appearances for the player and reduce risk for the club. The salesman analogy is probably close to the mark I imagine tho.

Craig

World Traveller
Gonna hold my hands up and say I'm not sure of the ins-and-outs and suspect each contract is slightly different anyway, but the idea behind a pay-to-play contract is to incentivise appearances for the player and reduce risk for the club. The salesman analogy is probably close to the mark I imagine tho.
I suppose that can also be viewed from the other aspect that if there is a rift between player and manager or the clubs needs to cut costs, then by not playing said footballer so they don't have to pay him. Mind you Michael Owen would have enough money to last the rest of this lifetime without working anyway :sleep:

In other news it seems if Mark Hughes can't sign Joelen Lescott, he will go after Kolo Toure.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Really not in Arsenals interest to sell Toure tbh, would be a dire piece of business imo, wouldn't mind Lescott at Arsenal though if there's any chance of that happening.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reckon he's been gash for about two seasons now so for some stupid money I wouldn't be disappointed to see him sold. That said, I'd really like a summer where we actually add players to the squad instead of having to replace first teamers who leave. A midfielder or two and maybe another defender with no other changes would be real good for us imo.

Though finding a buyer for Silvestre or Eboue would be a major opportunity which can't be turned down.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Reckon he's been gash for about two seasons now so for some stupid money I wouldn't be disappointed to see him sold. That said, I'd really like a summer where we actually add players to the squad instead of having to replace first teamers who leave. A midfielder or two and maybe another defender with no other changes would be real good for us imo.

Though finding a buyer for Silvestre or Eboue would be a major opportunity which can't be turned down.
Yeah indeed, my gripe is on the basis that it would take time an effort to find another first team player, personally I think that Arsenal needed to buy two new established defenders at the start of the summer, Vermaelen came in and so now only one is needed, Toure leaving would push that number back up to two. Would be a bit of a shame though, as he has been a decent servant for Arsenal and to all intents and purposes does seem to be genuinely a very nice lad.

I wouldn't exactly be crushed to see Adebayor go out the door for the mad money that is being talked about with some proposed moves for him, i'm still unconvinced over him and he seems to have a strange attitude to things to say the least, Van Persie leaving would be a much bigger blow, despite the fact that he's injured all the time.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
And yeah as do I, though I doubt anyone will buy Silvestre, best we can hope for there is a free transfer of some sort, but can't think why most teams would want him. That said, I imagine if he stays with Arsenal in will be in a reduced capacity, and although I think he's a pretty dire player, I think he could have his uses, for example if there was an injury crisis I always think a young backline (e.g. Djourou, Gibbs, etc..) would benefit big time from having an experienced player amongst them, even if he is inferior talent wise to all of them.

As for Eboue though, yeah, if someone comes up with a £6m plus off for him then we need to bite their hand off.

duffer

Yeah indeed, my gripe is on the basis that it would take time an effort to find another first team player, personally I think that Arsenal needed to buy two new established defenders at the start of the summer, Vermaelen came in and so now only one is needed, Toure leaving would push that number back up to two. Would be a bit of a shame though, as he has been a decent servant for Arsenal and to all intents and purposes does seem to be genuinely a very nice lad.

I wouldn't exactly be crushed to see Adebayor go out the door for the mad money that is being talked about with some proposed moves for him, i'm still unconvinced over him and he seems to have a strange attitude to things to say the least, Van Persie leaving would be a much bigger blow, despite the fact that he's injured all the time.
Robin signing a new deal is good news for us and as far as his injuries go I hope he goes the way of Gael Clichy, in that once he got over his injuries and had a good season is now relatively injury free.

Ade can **** off for all I care. Disgraceful attitude for such a limited player. Cannot believe we gave him 80k a week while deciding to not pay Flamini. Reckon I hate him more than I ever hated ****ley. Honestly think Bendtner is ready to step up, for a 21yo to get 15 goals in more limited minutes than Ade or van Persie is a great effort. He'll be very solid in a couple of years time. Needs a good crack now.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Robin signing a new deal is good news for us and as far as his injuries go I hope he goes the way of Gael Clichy, in that once he got over his injuries and had a good season is now relatively injury free.

Ade can **** off for all I care. Disgraceful attitude for such a limited player. Cannot believe we gave him 80k a week while deciding to not pay Flamini. Reckon I hate him more than I ever hated ****ley. Honestly think Bendtner is ready to step up, for a 21yo to get 15 goals in more limited minutes than Ade or van Persie is a great effort. He'll be very solid in a couple of years time. Needs a good crack now.
Yeah I think this season might turn out as a make or break for Bendtner, which will probably go well for him imo. My concern with him would be over his attitude rather than ability though, his supposed outburst in a newspaper about wanting out of Arsenal and being photographed out on the lash after the champions league exit are examples of his behaviour that don't exactly cover him on glory, but he is a young guy I suppose, and still learning in all walks of life.

Agree with Flamini, though I can also understand such a decision, does anyone know how he did this past season with Milan btw? I didn't bother to follow his progress.

duffer

Nah, ESPN's coverage of Serie A here makes me want to punch myself in the face repeatedly. Hearing American commentators talking about "pk's" and other inane **** which has nothing to do with the sport is too much to bear for me.

Don't mind Bendtner being on the cans after our season more or less ended and think he gets the rough end of the stick from fans regarding the shifts he puts in for us on the pitch. He tries a fair lot harder than Greedy does that's for sure. I like him and think if we sell the guy we'll regret it and he'll end up banging goals in for one of our rivals somewhere down the line. His goal production is excellent for his age and the amount of games he plays.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Agree with Flamini, though I can also understand such a decision, does anyone know how he did this past season with Milan btw? I didn't bother to follow his progress.
Barely got a look-in early on (Gattuso and all) until Gattuso's season was ended early. Underwhelmed in the defensive midfield role but was moved to right-back late in the season and was awesome. May have found himself a niche.

duffer

Was excellent for us at left back during our run to the CL final. Has the defensive skill and energy to be a decent fullback I guess.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Was excellent for us at left back during our run to the CL final. Has the defensive skill and energy to be a decent fullback I guess.
Especially in Italy where the pace of the game is slower and more meticulous. He reads the buildup very well and is quick enough to cut out what he sees whereas he's a tiny bit lacking in pace in the faster Premier League.

Could have a real future at RB for Milan IMO. He was so so good there in the games I saw of him (admittedly only three, but from all accounts he was just as good in the rest)

BoyBrumby

Englishman

I'm not a massive fan or anything, but will should have Senderos back next season too as Milan decided not to exercise their right to make the loan permanent. He does have a physical prescence that Toure & Gallas lack but sadly will **** up at least once a game because someone's flicked the "off" switch. If he could get his concentration sorted he could yet be the answer. & if my auntie had a ****, etc, etc...

Re: Bendtner, I quite rate him because he reminds me (in style of play) of my beloved Smudger (not as far as personalities go tho, Smithy was and is the world's soundest bloke and Nicklas clearly rates Nicklas a little too much) in that he's best with his back to the goal and has a good touch for a big bloke, but I'm not convinced he's a Wenger type of player. Arsene likes pace in his forwards (Wright, Anelka, Henry,Wiltord, Walcott) and that's something that Bendtner obvious lacks.