• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Er, how many points ahead did we wind up? week Saturday sounds about right if you put it up on the day Scunny robbed us, er, I mean, drew with us

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well It was either then or the day after...i'm away that weekend anyway so i'll change it when i get back, feel the need for something cricket related

Craig

World Traveller
West Ham have signed Inter forward Luis 'El Mago (The wizard - no pressure there)' Jimenez on a season loan. As long as he passes a medical the deal will go through on July 1. Not sure how they solved the Work Permit thing as he has not played for Chile since March 2008!

In other news Sturridge off to Chelsea Watch him flop SWP style.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
West Ham have signed Inter forward Luis 'El Mago (The wizard - no pressure there)' Jimenez on a season loan. As long as he passes a medical the deal will go through on July 1. Not sure how they solved the Work Permit thing as he has not played for Chile since March 2008!

In other news Sturridge off to Chelsea Watch him flop SWP style.
I resent that on behalf of every ENG football fan...

Craig

World Traveller
I think he was better off staying at Citeh for at least a little while yet instead of just been after a quick buck at Chelsea and not live up to the massive expectations. Now since Sturridge orginally came from Coventry (like Richards came from Oldham), does anybody know if the Sky Blues have a clause to get a % of the money Citeh will gain from Sturridge's transfer? (BTW it will be 'development fee' of around £10m, which Citeh want, whether they get that is another matter)

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
`IMPORTANT TEAM` AFTER ADEBAYOR
Posted 24/06/09 07:47EmailPrintSave

Emmanuel Adebayor's agent claims a 'very important team' has made contact about the Arsenal striker, but there has been no interest from Chelsea or Manchester United. Tabloid speculation has claimed that the Gunners have offered Adebayor to Serie A rivals AC Milan and Inter Milan in an attempt to prevent the Togo ace joining ****ski.

Milan tried to sign Adebayor last summer and former Rossoneri coach Carlo Ancelotti's move to Chelsea has prompted rumours the forward could also head to Stamford Bridge. Premier League champions United have also been linked with a bid, but the player's agent Stephane Courbis says Arsenal's domestic rivals have not been in touch.

"As of today, I have not even got evidence to speak of presumed interest from Chelsea and Manchester United," Courbis told calciomercato.it. "It's a given fact that Carlo Ancelotti likes the player seeing that last year he tried to sign him for Milan, although Chelseai have not contacted us. We have not received any calls, not from Milan or Ancelotti. Another team has contacted us, but I cannot say anything, it's a very important team."

Courbis also confirmed there has been no meeting with Milan and is confident Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is not looking to cash in on the £25million-rated former Monaco man. He added: "There has not been any meeting with Milan for Adebayor and lately I have not received a call on their behalf. This doesn't mean Ade is for sale to resolve Arsenal's economic problems. I spoke with Arsene Wenger this morning and he told me nothing of the kind."

This would be addition by subtraction in my mind. Get rid now please.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't blame a young bloke for chasing the quid, but I reckon it's a horrible move in terms of career development. I would say he'd be more likely to get a regular gig at Citeh than the Chavs. Aside from Anelka, Drgogba & Kalou he's going to be competing with other fringe players too.

Only makes sense (aside from financially) if he's going to be punted on loan.

Craig

World Traveller
`IMPORTANT TEAM` AFTER ADEBAYOR
Posted 24/06/09 07:47EmailPrintSave

Emmanuel Adebayor's agent claims a 'very important team' has made contact about the Arsenal striker, but there has been no interest from Chelsea or Manchester United. Tabloid speculation has claimed that the Gunners have offered Adebayor to Serie A rivals AC Milan and Inter Milan in an attempt to prevent the Togo ace joining ****ski.

Milan tried to sign Adebayor last summer and former Rossoneri coach Carlo Ancelotti's move to Chelsea has prompted rumours the forward could also head to Stamford Bridge. Premier League champions United have also been linked with a bid, but the player's agent Stephane Courbis says Arsenal's domestic rivals have not been in touch.

"As of today, I have not even got evidence to speak of presumed interest from Chelsea and Manchester United," Courbis told calciomercato.it. "It's a given fact that Carlo Ancelotti likes the player seeing that last year he tried to sign him for Milan, although Chelseai have not contacted us. We have not received any calls, not from Milan or Ancelotti. Another team has contacted us, but I cannot say anything, it's a very important team."

Courbis also confirmed there has been no meeting with Milan and is confident Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is not looking to cash in on the £25million-rated former Monaco man. He added: "There has not been any meeting with Milan for Adebayor and lately I have not received a call on their behalf. This doesn't mean Ade is for sale to resolve Arsenal's economic problems. I spoke with Arsene Wenger this morning and he told me nothing of the kind."

This would be addition by subtraction in my mind. Get rid now please.
Who would you like to replace him with?

Craig

World Traveller
Can't blame a young bloke for chasing the quid, but I reckon it's a horrible move in terms of career development. I would say he'd be more likely to get a regular gig at Citeh than the Chavs. Aside from Anelka, Drgogba & Kalou he's going to be competing with other fringe players too.

Only makes sense (aside from financially) if he's going to be punted on loan.
Now that Ancelotti is now managing Chavs, we haven't seen the last of Andriy Shevchenko in the Premiership, so you can add him to the list.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I think he was better off staying at Citeh for at least a little while yet instead of just been after a quick buck at Chelsea and not live up to the massive expectations. Now since Sturridge orginally came from Coventry (like Richards came from Oldham), does anybody know if the Sky Blues have a clause to get a % of the money Citeh will gain from Sturridge's transfer? (BTW it will be 'development fee' of around £10m, which Citeh want, whether they get that is another matter)
Well in a way yea, maybe he could have stayed at Citeh a bit longer. But along with Walcott & now Jack Wilshire, Sturridge is clearly one of better young talents ENG has ATM. So he could flourish at chelsea...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
It's mainly because of his own intransigence regarding his contract, from what I've read. He wants:.
a) Big signing on fee;
b) Large weekly salary;
c) Flat rate rather than pay to play

I haven't come across A, but i can understand why he would want B & C.

Given he's played precisely 7 games in the last 4 years you can see why teams might be loth to take a chance on a player deemed worse than a fat Australian and a one-legged Nigerian by one of his closest chums.
Buts thats the thing, as i keep saying Owen's fall from grace is been overplayed. Even Rooney would have struggled to find the net for Newcastle in the last 6 months.

Fact is behind Rooney, Owen remains our best goal-scorer & he has got to be in the WC squad. Unfortunately it seems like none of Villa, Everton, Fulham will go for him. So if its meant to be Hull or Stoke hopefully they dont capitulate next season...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well in a way yea, maybe he could have stayed at Citeh a bit longer. But along with Walcott & now Jack Wilshire, Sturridge is clearly one of better young talents ENG has ATM. So he could flourish at chelsea...
Only if he get's a game, which has got to be doubtful.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
No rush, Walcott took a while to become a first team regular for Arsenal as you clearly know. If he is good enough he will step up.
Yeah true enough, so you never know, but I personally see this turning out as a Steve Sidwell type signing.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Buts thats the thing, as i keep saying Owen's fall from grace is been overplayed. Even Rooney would have struggled to find the net for Newcastle in the last 6 months.

Fact is behind Rooney, Owen remains our best goal-scorer & he has got to be in the WC squad. Unfortunately it seems like none of Villa, Everton, Fulham will go for him. So if its meant to be Hull or Stoke hopefully they dont capitulate next season...
Disagree completely, it's quite clear Owen is not the player he once was, his impact was minimal for Newcastle this year, lets remember, though Newcastle were dire, they were hardly poor at creating chances, just at taking them. Owen may well have once been Englands best goal scorer, but it's clear to see that he isn't any longer. He has done absolutely nothing to warrant selection to the world cup squad, and if he were picked it would be an insult to all the other English strikers who have been putting in decent performances over the course of the season. I don't particularly rate Darren Bent or Jermaine Defoe, but to suggest Owen should be ahead of them in the pecking order is madness. You can't pick a player on reputation alone, and quite frankly, Owen doesn't even have his reputation anymore. I am a fan of Owen, and his decline is saddening, but he isn't the player he once was, and until he get back to somewhere near his best he won't be considered by a top premiership club, let alone England.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

I'm a fan of Owen, FWIW. The trouble is he's nearly 30 (will be in December IIRC), has an awful lot of miles on the clock as he's been playing since he was 16/17, a chequered (being very generous) fitness history and has looked slow & off the pace when I've seen him in his brief cameos for Newcastle. At his age there's a tendancy to view such dips in form as signs of terminal decline rather than a blip.

If he really wanted to play for an upper-middle Prem team (Villa, Toffees, Citeh, T*ttenham) he'd surely be confident enough in his fitness/form to agree a pay-to-play deal? The fact he won't could be read that he's not convinced himself.

Whatever way it falls tho he must be kicking himself he turned down that £80k a week the Geordies offered him in January.