• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Speeds pre-1998

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
Think Craig White was the ultimate "fast bowler as ambler". Just gently trotted in and somehow got it down the other end at over 90mph. Amazing arm speed.
:laugh: Never fails to amuse me that.

Also, that was a great Matt79 post GIMH quoted.
I remember Sarwan being hit in the chest by a short ball from Craig White in 2000 which literally knocked him backwards. He was clearly expecting something on the trundling side of medium and it came as a big shock to him when it came at him at genuine pace.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Does it matter, Richard?
No, not at all - I just wondered, and was amused to see you using the exact same words.
Is it your hobby to revise and recall every post ever posted on cricketweb? :laugh:
No, I just know that one particularly well because it's from the thread which contains possibly the most famous post in CW history:
chris.hinton said:
Charles Kortwright, JJ Kotze or William Burns would all be suitable examples of super quick bowlers from the pre Larwood era, unlike Fred Spofforth.
What about Charles Harenc and Samuel Redgate?

a massive zebra

International Captain
No, not at all - I just wondered, and was amused to see you using the exact same words.
And anyone prepared to look hard enough may come across other instances of me commiting the exact same sin. Sometimes if I have already made a point on a topic that is relevant to a current thread I get lazy and just copy and paste my previous post. :ph34r:

No, I just know that one particularly well because it's from the thread which contains possibly the most famous post in CW history:
:laugh:

Very good, I'll let you off then.

What about Charles Harenc and Samuel Redgate?
I was trying to think of bowlers from the generation prior to Larwood, to reinforce Bagapath's point that there have been bowlers of all speeds in all eras since the commencement of Test cricket.

Redgate would be a good example from a couple of generations further back - we have him to thank for hastening the universal use of batting pads - although there is no real way of knowing how his pace would compare to the speed kings of the last century or so. Good knowledge though. :)

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My knowledge of Redgate would probably be non-existent but for this post from later in that same thread. I was curious when I read the names, which I'd never heard before (Kortright included at that point - I now know plenty about him), so I looked 'em up.

a massive zebra

International Captain
My knowledge of Redgate would probably be non-existent but for this post from later in that same thread. I was curious when I read the names, which I'd never heard before (Kortright included at that point - I now know plenty about him), so I looked 'em up.
It is good to know my presence on the forum has had a positive impact on the cricketing knowledge of cricketweb's most prolific poster!

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I often wonder when I read those old obituaries just how fast they really were back then, I reckon 90mph was probably the quickest anyone bowled but I'm just guessing. Hard to believe there hasn't been a significant increase in pace since the golden age. Was 70 what 80 is today? Would sort of explain why why slow bowlers were so effective, the quicks may not have been quick enough to consistently test out reflexes. This is all just conjecture though, I guess we'll never know. I also wonder when I read Fuller Pilch's average of 18, and him being known as the best batsmen of the age, with all our knowledge of strokes that didn't exist, better defensive technique, how good we'd be if we could play against those players now. For example imagine the confusion and dismay you'd cause by playing the slog sweep, or even the reverse sweep, many spinners simply wouldn't know what to do. When you start playing wristy leg glances and square flicks against the quicks who bowled too straight they wouldn't know what to do, would be great fun for us!

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I often wonder when I read those old obituaries just how fast they really were back then, I reckon 90mph was probably the quickest anyone bowled but I'm just guessing. Hard to believe there hasn't been a significant increase in pace since the golden age. Was 70 what 80 is today? Would sort of explain why why slow bowlers were so effective, the quicks may not have been quick enough to consistently test out reflexes.
The reason spinners were so much more effective was because of uncovered wickets. A) this meant wickets helped spinners inestimably more, and more often, and B) once it rained all that much that basically took the seam bowler out of the game, because with footwear that existed back then it was impossible for a seamer to keep his footing on a wet wicket.

That's the biggest reason I don't like the idea of returning to uncovered wickets. It is essentially a deliberate disadvantage to the seamer as much as a deliberate advantage to the spinner.

The effectiveness of spin over seam was certainly not confined to the Golden Age either - it carried-on right into the 1960s, by the end of which colour television was in full operation.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Though uncovered wickets would show how good the batsmen of today REALLY are.

You could have a direct comparison from today and yesteryear (maybe even to Hobbs' era, altough general maintenence is better now).

About speeds pre-1998, how fast was Allan Donald?

I think he was as fast as Lillee was at peak (ca 97-98mph top speed). He was clocking up to 95mph when he was in his 30's, though his average speed would be down on the Donald of 92-96. Still, don't know of many 31-33 year olds clocking 92-95mph. Brett Lee has to put everything in his delivery to just about hit 92mph nowadays and can't do it too often, Akhtar the same.

Insane. If only for speed guns pre-1998.

I have a suspicion his bowling against Atherton in the 94 and 95/96 series would be up there with the fastest of any spell that I've seen (ca 92/93mph average speed with some hitting full pace). Thommo, Shoaib, Lillee, Holding, Roberts have had some amazing spells and I think Donald would be up there.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Though uncovered wickets would show how good the batsmen of today REALLY are.

You could have a direct comparison from today and yesteryear (maybe even to Hobbs' era, altough general maintenence is better now).

About speeds pre-1998, how fast was Allan Donald?

I think he was as fast as Lillee was at peak (ca 97-98mph top speed). He was clocking up to 95mph when he was in his 30's, though his average speed would be down on the Donald of 92-96. Still, don't know of many 31-33 year olds clocking 92-95mph. Brett Lee has to put everything in his delivery to just about hit 92mph nowadays and can't do it too often, Akhtar the same.

Insane. If only for speed guns pre-1998.

I have a suspicion his bowling against Atherton in the 94 and 95/96 series would be up there with the fastest of any spell that I've seen (ca 92/93mph average speed with some hitting full pace). Thommo, Shoaib, Lillee, Holding, Roberts have had some amazing spells and I think Donald would be up there.

Donald wasnt as quick as Lee or Shoaib. He was the quickest around and then they raised the bar.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
If Donald only bowled 92mph (147kph) on average then it would be slower then Lee and Shoaib, who both use to consistantly be above 150kph in their hayday.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If Donald only bowled 92mph (147kph) on average then it would be slower then Lee and Shoaib, who both use to consistantly be above 150kph in their hayday.
People are becoming highly misguided regarding pace, imo. Lee and Shoaib were two of the all time quickest in their hayday (along with Thomson and Tyson, imo), we can't be comparing every bowler to the all time standouts, it just won't work. A 92mph average is bloody quick, if you consider that when Fidel Edwards even bowled a spell at that pace in the Tests against England in West Indies, it would always create several chances per over. Moreover, I don't recall Shoaib and Lee bowling consistently above 150kph in Tests (for more than an isolated series), ever, nor in ODIs, away from the 2003 World Cup, again, away from isolated games.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
People are becoming highly misguided regarding pace, imo. Lee and Shoaib were two of the all time quickest in their hayday (along with Thomson and Tyson, imo), we can't be comparing every bowler to the all time standouts, it just won't work. A 92mph average is bloody quick, if you consider that when Fidel Edwards even bowled a spell at that pace in the Tests against England in West Indies, it would always create several chances per over. Moreover, I don't recall Shoaib and Lee bowling consistently above 150kph in Tests (for more than an isolated series), ever, nor in ODIs, away from the 2003 World Cup, again, away from isolated games.
That's because Lee hasn't bowled consistantly over 150kph for about 5-6 years. For the last couple of years, his been bowling well within' himself to gain accuracy but in his earlier days he was always above 150kph.

I remember watching Lee bowl when I was younger and he had just first started out (1998-2002), he would usually get above 150kph and I remember watching that and that anything below 150kph was a disappointment. Being brought up in kph and seeing Lee bowl, made me think that 90mph isn't that fast afterall, once realizing that 90mph = 145kph and after I had seen Lee easily break 150kph so often in his earlier days.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
That's because Lee hasn't bowled consistantly over 150kph for about 5-6 years. For the last couple of years, his been bowling well within' himself to gain accuracy but in his earlier days he was always above 150kph.
I remember watching Lee bowl when I was younger and he had just first started out (1998-2002), he would usually get above 150kph and I remember watching that and that anything below 150kph was a disappointment. Being brought up in kph and seeing Lee bowl, made me think that 90mph isn't that fast afterall, once realizing that 90mph = 145kph and after I had seen Lee easily break 150kph so often in his earlier days.[/QUOTE]

I don't recall him bowling consistently over 150kph. In his prime, I'd say he bowled 40% of deliveries in an early spell over 150kph and I wouldn't call that consistent. However, I'd be willing to accept you as right on that one as my memory is not too great. Tbh, it doesn't really affect my point that Shoaib and Lee are standouts and their existence does not make 145kph 'slow'. BTW, I still have that thing with bowlers in the SA Vs Australia series' that anything below 145kph from Steyn or Johnson was a disappointment and any non slower ball below 140kph was just...unacceptable:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Donald wasnt as quick as Lee or Shoaib. He was the quickest around and then they raised the bar.
Not in 1998 or 1999 he wasn't, but it's not completely and totally inconceivable (though, I think, unlikely) that he was quite as quick as they were in 2001-2002 sort of time in 1992-1994-ish.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not in 1998 or 1999 he wasn't, but it's not completely and totally inconceivable (though, I think, unlikely) that he was quite as quick as they were in 2001-2002 sort of time in 1992-1994-ish.
He was pretty darned quick in the early 90s. At the WC in '92 people watching Donald and Patrick Patterson bowling in the nets side by side reckoned Donald was significantly quicker.

Mind you I accept that this isn't evidence of the highest quality as to his pace (or even that he was faster than Patterson for that matter, either in a match situation or even during that particular net session).

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He was pretty darned quick in the early 90s. At the WC in '92 people watching Donald and Patrick Patterson bowling in the nets side by side reckoned Donald was significantly quicker.

Mind you I accept that this isn't evidence of the highest quality as to his pace (or even that he was faster than Patterson for that matter, either in a match situation or even during that particular net session).
Patterson was a spent force by 1992, wasn't he?

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Not as fast as Shoaib overall, but when he bowled against Atherton, he was lightning fast and in a spell, it's not beyond possibility he was hitting serious speeds.

I actually meant in my post LOWEST speed of 92mph, not average. I think he bowled an average speed of 92mph as a general rule, but in a 6-7 over spell I'm sure he could hit 97-98mph top whack. No-one pissed him off as much as Athers did (and Athers was awesome against South Africa) and he looked to be bowling faster against him than in general.

Though this is summise, since there weren't speed guns in use I don't know for sure, but

Whilst Lee has clocked some silly speeds, from memory he wasn't as fast as Shoaib in average speed who was ca 150kph/93mph.

Plus, Lee had to put everything into a delivery to clock 150+ whereas Shoaib didn't spend too much energy to hit the same speed. The Donald of 92-96 would've been as fast as Brett Lee IMO.

Not Shoaib overall during his fastest (1999-2003), but I think the Donald of 1992-1996 was as fast as Lee at peak.

The problem is the lack of speed guns. But Donald hitting 95mph when he was 31 in 1998 makes it possible he could've hit 97-98mph, particularly in 1994-1996 when he was playing against us.

Nantie Hayward has hit 97mph and I don't think Donald at peak was slower.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not as fast as Shoaib overall, but when he bowled against Atherton, he was lightning fast and in a spell, it's not beyond possibility he was hitting serious speeds.

I actually meant in my post LOWEST speed of 92mph, not average. I think he bowled an average speed of 92mph as a general rule, but in a 6-7 over spell I'm sure he could hit 97-98mph top whack. No-one pissed him off as much as Athers did (and Athers was awesome against South Africa) and he looked to be bowling faster against him than in general.

Though this is summise, since there weren't speed guns in use I don't know for sure, but

Whilst Lee has clocked some silly speeds, from memory he wasn't as fast as Shoaib in average speed who was ca 150kph/93mph.

Plus, Lee had to put everything into a delivery to clock 150+ whereas Shoaib didn't spend too much energy to hit the same speed. The Donald of 92-96 would've been as fast as Brett Lee IMO.

Not Shoaib overall during his fastest (1999-2003), but I think the Donald of 1992-1996 was as fast as Lee at peak.

The problem is the lack of speed guns. But Donald hitting 95mph when he was 31 in 1998 makes it possible he could've hit 97-98mph, particularly in 1994-1996 when he was playing against us.

Nantie Hayward has hit 97mph and I don't think Donald at peak was slower.
The Atherton spell did have a speed gun. A diferent method maybe to now but speeds were given (89 mph IIRC). It isnt comparable to the way speeds are given now but Id be interested in how that was calculated.

I love Donald. I grew up trying to emulate him. He was a classical bowler, a supreme athlete and a thing of beauty. He was fast but not the fastest.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The Atherton spell did have a speed gun. A diferent method maybe to now but speeds were given (89 mph IIRC). It isnt comparable to the way speeds are given now but Id be interested in how that was calculated.
EDIT: Yep, one ball at 89mph, not that that proves much but interesting nonetheless.

I love Donald. I grew up trying to emulate him. He was a classical bowler, a supreme athlete and a thing of beauty. He was fast but not the fastest.
Brilliant action, one of the best, imo.

Attachments

Last edited: