• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL 2009

Smith

Banned
75 is pretty good considering his role in the side and his average is superb. Not a problem when Smith, Gibbs, AB and JP all strike close/over 80 and then you have Albie, Bouch, van der Merwe et cetera.
I am still unconvinced. Had he been averaging 50+, I can understand his utility as a anchor player. (Considering only non minnows). But his average which has been inflated to some extent due to not outs does not justify that Strike rate. He is no great, just good.

RainaRocks

Cricket Spectator
Decent chance he won't play.

Smith, Gibbs, AB, JP, Bouch, Albie, van der Merwe, Botha, Parnell, Steyn, Abdulla/Morne.
Abdulla/Morne are not ripe for international T20 WC and I dont think they are the best choices in the playing XI

And I believe 6 proper batsmen are necessary at least for T20 format

RainaRocks

Cricket Spectator
He was getting hit for runs and it is fine for a domestic tournament like IPL but in a T20 WC you would expect a bowler to be economical .. I dont think Abdulla is the best choice for T20 team like SA

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Abdulla/Morne are not ripe for international T20 WC and I dont think they are the best choices in the playing XI

And I believe 6 proper batsmen are necessary at least for T20 format
Albie averages over 40 in first class cricket, he can bat. And Botha, who would come in at 7, has opened in first class cricket. That line-up has enough in the tank with the bat.

Bowling would also be very strong with that line-up, so many options with the ball (7).

Athlai

Not Terrible
He was getting hit for runs and it is fine for a domestic tournament like IPL but in a T20 WC you would expect a bowler to be economical .. I dont think Abdulla is the best choice for T20 team like SA
Abdulla was expensive in the IPL but also took a lot of wickets and has one of the lowest career T20 economy rates in the game.

RainaRocks

Cricket Spectator
Albie averages over 40 in first class cricket, he can bat. And Botha, who would come in at 7, has opened in first class cricket. That line-up has enough in the tank with the bat.

Bowling would also be very strong with that line-up, so many options with the ball (7).
Albie and Botha are no doubt good but they are not proper batsmen .. they are ok but they are options and not proper batsmen ... I would go for 6 proper batsmen at least in a T20 WC.. I am not comparing but if you just check the Indian side then there are 9 batting options and 9 bowling options.. you have to have a lot of options but still I think 6 proper batsmen are necessary in T20 as wickets can crumble all of a sudden in T20s

RainaRocks

Cricket Spectator
Abdulla was expensive in the IPL but also took a lot of wickets and has one of the lowest career T20 economy rates in the game.
I think Langevelt is a better choice though I am not sure if he is in the team or not.. Langevelt has got better pace and a better line

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I think Langevelt is a better choice though I am not sure if he is in the team or not.. Langevelt has got better pace and a better line
He has retired and is injured (for the whole county season) anyhow.

SA would love to have him though.

RainaRocks

Cricket Spectator
He has retired and is injured (for the whole county season) anyhow.

SA would love to have him though.
I did not know he is retired... he looked completely fit when he played in the IPL match this year ... he took three crucial wickets there too .. has he played for SA in international matches BTW

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I did not know he is retired... he looked completely fit when he played in the IPL match this year ... he took three crucial wickets there too .. has he played for SA in international matches BTW
He retired (internationally) after the very public Norman Arendse Mickey Arthur affair. Still plays domestically.

Langers played for South Africa over 60 times (Test, ODI and 20/20).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Albie and Botha are no doubt good but they are not proper batsmen .. they are ok but they are options and not proper batsmen ... I would go for 6 proper batsmen at least in a T20 WC.. I am not comparing but if you just check the Indian side then there are 9 batting options and 9 bowling options.. you have to have a lot of options but still I think 6 proper batsmen are necessary in T20 as wickets can crumble all of a sudden in T20s
Albie Morkel averages over 40 in his FC career, I'd class that as being the average of a "proper" batsman.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I believe the term young has no different connotation when it comes to Tendulkar. Because from 1994 through 1996 (3 years), he averaged nothing less than 49.12 (Age - 21 to 23).

And from 1998 through 2003 (6 years), he averaged a staggering 52.70 (Age 25 to 30).

Had Tendulkar debuted at 25, and retired at 30, there would have been no doubt whatsoever as to who the best ever ODI player was.
There isn't any doubt.

Tendulkar is the greatest ever ODI batsman. Of all the other batsmen who have played the game, only Viv Richards and to a far lesser extent Michael Bevan, have a serious claim to that title.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Dravid in 2006 was a top 10 ODI batsmen in the world
In the period 2003-2007, the period you picked out as Dravid's peak, 10 batsmen who played more than 50 ODIs averaged more than Dravid, and- this is the clincher- every single one of them scored at a better strike rate. If that doesn't change your mind, i'm afraid I'll have to accept your mind is set.

In case you're interested, those batsmen are:

Mike Hussey, Jacques Kallis, MS Dhoni, Matthew Hayden, Ricky Ponting, Inzamam Ul-Haq, Michael Clarke, Andrew Symonds, Sachin Tendulkar and Kumar Sangakkara.

Those averaging under five runs less, but with a much superior strike rate, include Graeme Smith, Chris Gayle, Marcus Trescothick, Adam Gilchrist, Sanath Jayasuriya and- perhaps most surprisingly- Andrew Flintoff. There's not a player on that list that I wouldn't prefer in my ODI team to Dravid.

Source.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
In the period 2003-2007, the period you picked out as Dravid's peak, 10 batsmen who played more than 50 ODIs averaged more than Dravid, and- this is the clincher- every single one of them scored at a better strike rate. If that doesn't change your mind, i'm afraid I'll have to accept your mind is set.

Mike Hussey, Jacques Kallis, MS Dhoni, Matthew Hayden, Ricky Ponting, Inzamam Ul-Haq, Michael Clarke, Andrew Symonds, Sachin Tendulkar and Kumar Sangakkara.

Those averaging under five runs less, but with a much superior strike rate, include Graeme Smith, Chris Gayle, Marcus Trescothick, Adam Gilchrist, Sanath Jayasuriya and- perhaps most surprisingly- Andrew Flintoff. There's not a player on that list that I wouldn't prefer in my ODI team to Dravid.

Source.
Really interesting post. I'd never looked at the stats before but I'd always assumed Dravid to be a better ODI bat than that. You learn something new every day!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Source.
Small point: Kallis has a lower S/R than Dravid during that period. But Kallis, Sangakarra, Hayden and Dravid are all too close and the S/R differences are not significant.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Small point: Kallis has a lower S/R than Dravid during that period. But Kallis, Sangakarra, Hayden and Dravid are all too close and the S/R differences are not significant.
Ah yeah, so he does. My mistake. Hayden's strike rate, even over his career, is surprisingly low.

Gotta give a mention to Adam Gilchrist's record in that period- 3670 runs in 100 innings, with just four not-outs, averaging 38.22 with a strike rate of 104.37. Pretty incredible.

RainaRocks

Cricket Spectator
Albie Morkel averages over 40 in his FC career, I'd class that as being the average of a "proper" batsman.
Yes I agree.. but check the stats for International matches.. FC and international matches are not the same

Albie has an average of 26 in T20 Internationals and an average of 22 in ODI .. this cannot be told to be a batman's average .. if you even compare a half decent player like Irfan Pathan's average then it is 30 in T20 Internationals and 23 in ODI.. but would you call Irfan Pathan a proper batsman .. I think 6 proper batsmen are needed in T20 and the rest 5 can be filled up with proper bowlers or bowlers with batting ability

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yes I agree.. but check the stats for International matches.. FC and international matches are not the same

Albie has an average of 26 in T20 Internationals and an average of 22 in ODI .. this cannot be told to be a batman's average .. if you even compare a half decent player like Irfan Pathan's average then it is 30 in T20 Internationals and 23 in ODI.. but would you call Irfan Pathan a proper batsman .. I think 6 proper batsmen are needed in T20 and the rest 5 can be filled up with proper bowlers or bowlers with batting ability
Down to the role he plays though.

South Africa use Albie Morkel as a late innings hitter. He's going to be a bit hit and miss playing that role.

And you can't really use T20I batting averages for or against a player. There haven't been enough T20Is played to get meaningful data from them.