• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL 2009

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Am still sceptical about Dravid's role as a T20 batsman. He was one of the main reasons BRC lost the finals, by dropping a sitter of Symonds first and then making a slow 9 off 13 balls when the RR was around 8. He is become a liability on the field and is of no great value than an ordinary Indian youngster as a batsman.
He was one of the reasons they won the semis.. Without which they won't have been in the finals..

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, he was their best player last season and has been good value most of this year for mine. Still worth his place in the side easily.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's hard to make a case for him to be dropped, it just doesn't sit easy with me that such an all-time great is so mediocre in this form of the game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sachin is perhaps the greatest ODI batsman of all time and even he is only above average in this format, on the evidence of the two IPLs... Dravid is significantly lesser than Sachin in limited overs cricket, so not at all a surprise for me...

pasag

RTDAS
Sachin is perhaps the greatest ODI batsman of all time and even he is only above average in this format, on the evidence of the two IPLs... Dravid is significantly lesser than Sachin in limited overs cricket, so not at all a surprise for me...
It is because of age, nothing else. Some old dogs have been able to learn new tricks quicker than others. If the format was introduced when they were kids things would be substantially different, imho.

Uppercut

It is because of age, nothing else. Some old dogs have been able to learn new tricks quicker than others. If the format was introduced when they were kids things would be substantially different, imho.
Don't know about Dravid. He never remotely convinced me as an ODI batsman even when he was younger.

Sachin in his younger days would doubtless have dominated T20 just like he dominated everything else.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Don't know about Dravid. He never remotely convinced me as an ODI batsman even when he was younger.
Probably because when he was 'younger' he wasn't any good.

Check out his record from 2003-2007.

I believe his record as ODI captain is brilliant too.

I've seen you express your point regarding Dravid (and similar players) in ODIs before. But no one is arguing Dravid is/was a Ponting or Sachin, but he was definitely in the top 10 ODI batsmen in the world at a point in his career.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
His average improves by half a point. His strike rate improves too, but is still very low. Cricinfo Statsguru - R Dravid - One-Day Internationals - Batting analysis

Half-decent, but certainly not convincing.
That actually surprises me, as I actually expected him to average a few runs higher, so I'll concede this point. Its still a very good record as far as I'm concerned. Again, no one is saying he's a Ponting.

I think you underestimate the value of a consistent average of 40 over a 12+ year ODI career.

He will definitely be remembered as a 'convincing' ODI batsmen.

Uppercut

I actually expected him to average a few runs higher, so I'll concede this point. Its still a very good record as far as I'm concerned. Again, no one is saying he's a Ponting.

I think you underestimate the value of a consistent average of 40 over a 12+ year ODI career.
I expected him to average more too tbh.

I generally think the "batting through" role is horrendously overrated. All it does is increase the pressure on everyone around you, and if you get out- and the majority of the time, you do- it leaves your team deep in the **** because you've let the run rate climb. You need a seriously good average to make it work, or you need to be batting in an extremely poor batting lineup to make it worth it. Players like Inzamam, Dravid, Kallis, Yousuf aren't worth half as much as most believe IMO- and Dravid has the worst record out of any of them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But they all play a role in their respectice teams.

Dravid has had Sehwag, Yuvraj and Sachin around him. Inzy had Afridi, Razzaq, 'two random openers who were always out trying to go over the top' etc.

Seriously harsh on Kallis and Yousuf btw, their averages speak for themselves, and their strike rates are hardly poor. They've had the ability to lift when necessary (especially Yousuf). They adapted when necessary.

I think Dravid in 2006 was a top 10 ODI batsmen in the world at that time, but he cannot compare to Kallis and Yousuf in ODIs. Grouping them in the same criticisms of Dravid is misleading.

Last edited:

Smith

Banned
I expected him to average more too tbh.

I generally think the "batting through" role is horrendously overrated. All it does is increase the pressure on everyone around you, and if you get out- and the majority of the time, you do- it leaves your team deep in the **** because you've let the run rate climb. You need a seriously good average to make it work, or you need to be batting in an extremely poor batting lineup to make it worth it. Players like Inzamam, Dravid, Kallis, Yousuf aren't worth half as much as most believe IMO- and Dravid has the worst record out of any of them.
The present Indian captain believes otherwise and is all set to emulate Dravid, albeit for seemingly no particular reason. However good thing is that Dhoni indeed bats through.

Smith

Banned
younger tendulkar though more attacking was not consistent and had very poor ODI record too
I believe the term young has no different connotation when it comes to Tendulkar. Because from 1994 through 1996 (3 years), he averaged nothing less than 49.12 (Age - 21 to 23).

And from 1998 through 2003 (6 years), he averaged a staggering 52.70 (Age 25 to 30).

Had Tendulkar debuted at 25, and retired at 30, there would have been no doubt whatsoever as to who the best ever ODI player was.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member