• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in England

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think swapping between opening and #4 depending on where you were playing would be great for Simmons's development as a player.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
THe problem is that the other pacers in the region are no better than Bravo, IMHO, so they're a waste of a place....

This would be my Test XI for the tour of Australia:

1) Gayle
2) Barath/Richards
3) Sarwan
4) Simmons
5) Chanderpaul
6) Nash
7) Bravo
8) Ramdin
9) Taylor
10) Benn
11) Edwards

For the home Tests against Bangladesh, this would be my XI....

1) Gayle
2) Barath/Richards/Simmons
3) Sarwan
4) Nash
5) Chanderpaul
6) Bravo
7) Ramdin
8) Taylor
9) Benn
10) Edwards
11) Jaggernauth/Brown/Wallace
I don't think Benn should stay in the side too much longer. When the pitch isn't spitting and turning, he is pretty ineffective, as shown by his Test average of 49.08. His FC record, even if we are to exclude Tests, does not match up to Jaggernauth or Brown and so I think the latter two should play as part of a three pacer-two spinner (the third pacer being Bravo) strategy.

shivfan

Banned
Another option is to give the number four slot to Nash on a permanent basis....

IMHO, he's a better batsman at this level than any youngster currently playing domestic cricket in the Caribbean, anyway.

Did anyone see that John Dyson interview? I only caught the tail-end of it. He was critical of Bravo jetting off around the place, while this series was going on. He also pointed out that everyone knew what the conditions were like in England at this time of the year, and he was disappointed that the players moaned about the conditions, instead of trying to come to grips with them.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway...am crossing the border on thursday to watch the first ODI, lets hope its not a washout. Also possibly crossing over for the Roses game as part of the deal for the ODI ticket and will probably get to the Lancs T20 over there as well if i can get over from work in time.

Flem274*

123/5
Just because an overrated third rate english side which is only good in its own backyard won against a the windies who also are the same doesnt mean the englangers go on a ego romping.

They were thrashed bY India both home and away and will be decimated by the great aussies who are now rejuvenated after losing to India and the BOKS.

I predict 5-0 to aussies. only rain may save the englanders
Hey Sammy/Precum, how are you?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
THe problem is that the other pacers in the region are no better than Bravo, IMHO, so they're a waste of a place....

This would be my Test XI for the tour of Australia:

1) Gayle
2) Barath/Richards
3) Sarwan
4) Simmons
5) Chanderpaul
6) Nash
7) Bravo
8) Ramdin
9) Taylor
10) Benn
11) Edwards

For the home Tests against Bangladesh, this would be my XI....

1) Gayle
2) Barath/Richards/Simmons
3) Sarwan
4) Nash
5) Chanderpaul
6) Bravo
7) Ramdin
8) Taylor
9) Benn
10) Edwards
11) Jaggernauth/Brown/Wallace
I'd back Rampaul and Richardson to have better bowling figures than Bravo if they were given a long run. Too early to be thinking about Australia as well. Performances against Bangladesh to be assessed first.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I don't think Benn should stay in the side too much longer. When the pitch isn't spitting and turning, he is pretty ineffective, as shown by his Test average of 49.08. His FC record, even if we are to exclude Tests, does not match up to Jaggernauth or Brown and so I think the latter two should play as part of a three pacer-two spinner (the third pacer being Bravo) strategy.
Would agree with Benn not being in any longer.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
IMHO the most likely candidate in the Caribbean to be a World Class spinner is Gavin Wallace. The selectors picked him for the A team a couple of months ago so they clearly see him as one for the future. He got spanked about a bit in that match but he also bowled Strauss and Bell with ripping leg breaks.

Unfortunately he has been treated very badly by Jamaican captain Tamar Lambert so he didn't get to bowl as many overs as he would have liked.

I would love the selectors to take a punt on him against Bangladesh as he has the raw materials to succeed, but I doubt they will. They will probably continue with Benn. The fact they are sticking with a spinner at last is certainly admirable, it's just unfortunate that they have chosen the 5th best spinner in the Caribbean.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hasn't had a settled spot in the T&T lineup TBH.
Yeah, I know, but that's quite possibly why he only averages about 35 for them.

I don't have a problem with him either batting four or opening, but it should be one or the other IMO, not a different position defending on where the game is.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
What's become of Amit jaggernauth. I remember himbeing celebrated to the high heavens some time back.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
With the Bangladesh series coming up and the recent controversy about the importance of Test cricket. What would be the fall out if WI lost a Test to Bang?

Beamer

Jaggers is still a very good off spinner with an outstanding first class record. He has just finished his worst year so far in FC cricket, averaging almost 30 runs per wicket.

He is a much better spinner than Benn. It seems the one match he was given has been enough to cast him away for good.

All of the following are better spinners than Benn:

Gavin Wallace (LS)
Nikitta Miller (SLA)
Odean Brown (LS)
Amit Jaggernauth (OS)
Shane Shillingford (OS)

Last edited:

Beamer

With the Bangladesh series coming up and the recent controversy about the importance of Test cricket. What would be the fall out if WI lost a Test to Bang?
Obviously the captain would lose his position and there would be a lot of personnel changes. But I seriously doubt that will happen given that we just beaten England in our own conditions. We might have performed terribly in this series but I would hope and expect Bangladesh to be seen off pretty comfortably.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously the captain would lose his position and there would be a lot of personnel changes. But I seriously doubt that will happen given that we just beaten England in our own conditions. We might have performed terribly in this series but I would hope and expect Bangladesh to be seen off pretty comfortably.
I would hope and expect so too

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jaggers is still a very good off spinner with an outstanding first class record. He has just finished his worst year so far in FC cricket, averaging almost 30 runs per wicket.

He is a much better spinner than Benn. It seems the one match he was given has been enough to cast him away for good.

All of the following are better spinners than Benn:

Gavin Wallace (LS)
Nikitta Miller (SLA)
Odean Brown (LS)
Amit Jaggernauth (OS)
Shane Shillingford (OS)
Not sure if Jaggernauth when it comes to international cricket, really is an outright better spinner Benn. Of course he seems that maybe in helpul conditions he would probably get more purchase than Benn, but other than that, the tall Bajan is better in most other areas TBH.

No way is Shillingford better than Benn come on, he aint even better than Rawl Lewis for the windwards.

Miller hmm, WI seem to prefer him in ODI's but don't think he has anything over Benn really. They probably about even.

Haven't seen Brown & Wallace so no comment....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Bravo not good enough to be in a bowling lineup like that. If Benn's out there are better spinners to come in.
How so?

In a potential all seam attack of Taylor/Edwards/Rampaul/Bravo.

Bravo along with Taylor is the most disciplined bowler, partnership breaker & when conditions suite i.e Manchester 04, Adelaide 05. He can be very dangerous.

But he still is only a 4th seamer. He aint good enough play as a 3rd seamer, so that suggestion would throw the bowling balance of further.

Beamer

Not sure if Jaggernauth when it comes to international cricket, really is an outright better spinner Benn. Of course he seems that maybe in helpul conditions he would probably get more purchase than Benn, but other than that, the tall Bajan is better in most other areas TBH.

No way is Shillingford better than Benn come on, he aint even better than Rawl Lewis for the windwards.

Miller hmm, WI seem to prefer him in ODI's but don't think he has anything over Benn really. They probably about even.

Haven't seen Brown & Wallace so no comment....
Shillingford is the biggest turner of a cricket ball in the Caribbean. He has much better stats than Rawl Lewis so I don't know where that came from. These are the FC records (excluding tests) of the spinners I mentioned:

Benn - 44 matches, 148 wickets @ 28.71, econ 2.95

Jaggernauth - 49 matches, 195 wickets @ 23.31, econ 2.63

Shillingford - 49 matches, 171 wickets @ 25.55, econ 2.55

Wallace - 13 matches, 45 wickets @ 23.00, econ 3.54

Brown - 29 matches, 105 wickets @ 22.67, econ 2.84

Miller - 34 matches, 141 wickets @ 19.31, econ 2.00

Mohamed - 62 matches, 212 wickets @ 24.80, econ 2.79

Lewis - 120 matches, 294 wickets @ 31.40, econ 2.82

If you are going by stats and perfromance over the last 3 years you would have to go with Miller or Jaggernauth. If you were going with raw ability you would have to choose Wallace.