• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in England

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because back then at least the West Indies could be arsed to make an effort and actually play some good cricket. Consider England had just played the Windies and unlike the Banglas, most of them had other thing they would rather have been doing (see IPL). Its been widely acknowledged that this series exists mainl;y cos the ECB has a quota home tests it has to fulfil with BSkyB and therefore when the original guests (Zimbabwe) could not make the trip (for obviuos reasons) they shoe-horned in the West Indies and a replaceament, after Sri Lanka were unable to commit due to their own senior player's IPL commitments. Consider the attitude of some of the West Indies senior players (Chris Gayle especially) on this tour and how distracted and disinterested they have looked on the field. Consider that even then their best all rounder Dwayne Bravo has still to turn up at all.

Now given Bangladesh unlike Sri Lanka and West Indies have only one senior player in the IPl (who has only played one game), and that they hardly get to play any meaningful cricket with anyone at all you would expect that they would grab the opportunity with both hands and even if we wound up with the same innings defeats that we have found ourselves looking at now that the Windies have sort tuirned up and wasted 6 days of test cricket with these rather abysmal efforts. Sarwan's ton aside none of the players can be accused of trying very hard

Personally I would rather have weaker opposition put 100% in and lose that a strong team make a mockery of the game with such a poor attitude.
I know this isn't what you meant at all, but i find the implication that the West Indies lost because they weren't trying a tad annoying. They were comprehensively outclassed in all three of batting, bowling and fielding by a much better (although still not great) side. They just are nowhere near good enough to compete with these sides away from home. They maybe could have run faster in the field or tried to bowl a little faster but the fact is, they were ****e. That's all there is to it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Chris Gayle (c)
Adrian Barath
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Dwayne Bravo
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Brendan Nash
Denesh Ramdin
Jerome Taylor
Suliemann Benn
Ravi Rampaul
Fidel Edwards

Reserves:

Lendl Simmons
Andrew Richardson
Two major problem with this XI is that Ramdin aint a test #7 & Bravo to date in test cricket aint good enough to bat in the top 6 consistently. So pushing him up to 4 won't solve the problem really, i saw work with Simmonds he won't face English conditions everyday

Barath/Richards should open with Gayle no doubt, its definately about time Smith is banised. It all depends on if the selectors want to blood the youth or see what the elder bajan bloke has to offer..

Gayle
Barath/Richards
Sarwan
Simmons
C'Paul
Nash
Bravo
Ramdin
Taylor
Rampaul
Edwards

Harsh on Benn but for balance sake once all are fit, he would have to be dropped

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
There's not a bowler under the sun who can "run through" lineups of that quality "consistently".
* Batting line-ups.

I call a quality spinner someone who will trouble the best batsmen in the world. He wont trouble the top batsmen with his current repertoire of deliveries.

But with a doosra in his locker, I think he could take 3 of the top 6 batsmen of the Indian (in India especially), South African & Australian batsmen when the conditions allow for spin.

Negotiating off spin in itself isn't all that difficult for the Ponting, G.Smith, Hussey, Tendulkar, Dravid, Gambhir's etc of the world, but with one which goes the other way anyone will be troubled, even the best players of spin.

Uppercut

* Batting line-ups.

I call a quality spinner someone who will trouble the best batsmen in the world. He wont trouble the top batsmen with his current repertoire of deliveries.

But with a doosra in his locker, I think he could take 3 of the top 6 batsmen of the Indian (in India especially), South African & Australian batsmen when the conditions allow for spin.

Negotiating off spin in itself isn't all that difficult for the Ponting, G.Smith, Hussey, Tendulkar, Dravid, Gambhir's etc of the world, but with one which goes the other way anyone will be troubled, even the best players of spin.
I think that's a fallacy. Shane Warne only barely had a delivery that went the other way, and it was about as subtle as his chat-up technique. Swann can threaten quality players of spin provided the pitch is giving him some turn. He won't do it that often, but one reason the spinner is in the side is specifically for such circumstances. He can dominate poor players of spin like Devon Smith regardless of conditions.

If the ball's not turning, it's not going to turn the other way either. A doosra would make him a better bowler, but it's certainly not a necessity.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I know this isn't what you meant at all, but i find the implication that the West Indies lost because they weren't trying a tad annoying. They were comprehensively outclassed in all three of batting, bowling and fielding by a much better (although still not great) side. They just are nowhere near good enough to compete with these sides away from home. They maybe could have run faster in the field or tried to bowl a little faster but the fact is, they were ****e. That's all there is to it.
Actually as much as the west Indies are no of England standard they are better than being run over by innings defeats within 6 days of cricket played.

Uppercut

Actually as much as the west Indies are no of England standard they are better than being run over by innings defeats within 6 days of cricket played.
That's your opinion, but that they weren't any better than that is a fact.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
England's efficiency has done the coffers no good in this series!

Nice to get a good win going into the Ashes, Jimmy is in wonderful form, Broad & Onions look in decent shape, Swann had a quiet game but didn't really need to be involved, and the batsmen played well. IIRC this is the first home series in which Pietersen has failed to score a century since he first joined the side, mad.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He bowled great against South Africa last summer, though. I know his figures don't necessarily back this up, but everyone who watched the series thought he was bloody brilliant.

Burgey

England's efficiency has done the coffers no good in this series!

Nice to get a good win going into the Ashes, Jimmy is in wonderful form, Broad & Onions look in decent shape, Swann had a quiet game but didn't really need to be involved, and the batsmen played well. IIRC this is the first home series in which Pietersen has failed to score a century since he first joined the side, mad.

Obviously

On a serious note, Anderson looks to me the biggest single stumbling block between Australia and the Ashes.

FBU

International Debutant
Anderson makes it to number 7 in the ICC rankings and England move up one place past Pakistan. :)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Two major problem with this XI is that Ramdin aint a test #7 & Bravo to date in test cricket aint good enough to bat in the top 6 consistently. So pushing him up to 4 won't solve the problem really, i saw work with Simmonds he won't face English conditions everyday

Barath/Richards should open with Gayle no doubt, its definately about time Smith is banised. It all depends on if the selectors want to blood the youth or see what the elder bajan bloke has to offer..

Gayle
Barath/Richards
Sarwan
Simmons
C'Paul
Nash
Bravo
Ramdin
Taylor
Rampaul
Edwards

Harsh on Benn but for balance sake once all are fit, he would have to be dropped
Bravo not good enough to be in a bowling lineup like that. If Benn's out there are better spinners to come in.

Sanjeev Chhiber

Cricket Spectator
England is a third rate side

Just because an overrated third rate english side which is only good in its own backyard won against a the windies who also are the same doesnt mean the englangers go on a ego romping.

They were thrashed bY India both home and away and will be decimated by the great aussies who are now rejuvenated after losing to India and the BOKS.

I predict 5-0 to aussies. only rain may save the englanders

James

Cricket Web Owner
Just because an overrated third rate english side which is only good in its own backyard won against a the windies who also are the same doesnt mean the englangers go on a ego romping.

They were thrashed bY India both home and away and will be decimated by the great aussies who are now rejuvenated after losing to India and the BOKS.

I predict 5-0 to aussies. only rain may save the englanders
Welcome to the forums Sanjeev.

Just a handy hint to you as a new poster on these forums to tone down posts such as this which in general are likely to kick off flame wars which we try to prevent.

shivfan

Banned
Bravo not good enough to be in a bowling lineup like that. If Benn's out there are better spinners to come in.
THe problem is that the other pacers in the region are no better than Bravo, IMHO, so they're a waste of a place....

This would be my Test XI for the tour of Australia:

1) Gayle
2) Barath/Richards
3) Sarwan
4) Simmons
5) Chanderpaul
6) Nash
7) Bravo
8) Ramdin
9) Taylor
10) Benn
11) Edwards

For the home Tests against Bangladesh, this would be my XI....

1) Gayle
2) Barath/Richards/Simmons
3) Sarwan
4) Nash
5) Chanderpaul
6) Bravo
7) Ramdin
8) Taylor
9) Benn
10) Edwards
11) Jaggernauth/Brown/Wallace