• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL 2009

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Top 6 being?

Gambhir
Sehwag
Yuvraj (3-5)
Dhoni (4-6)
Raina - Rohit
Y Pathan (6)
He is talking about ODIs... I believe Sachin will be in there somewhere in that top , perhaps just about getting in, given he is arguably the greatest ODI bat ever... :p

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Mishra isn't as good as Vettori in limited overs, though he is probably better in Tests and my point was that Mishra is still a fantastic second option even if worse than Vettori he's still better than Delhi's pace options.
Ya what you say is correct. I just objected to saying inferior local spinner. Cheers.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Yet he is still an inferior T20 bowler than Vettori. Which shows exactly just how good Vettori is, and the type of quality DD are leaving on the sidelines.
When an Indian player can do as well (actually he is doing better than Vettori in the ipl) I don't know why they should waste a spinners place on Vettori when they could have a good "'attacking'" all-rounder like Maharoof. (Look at last IPL stats to know his performance)

Polo23

International Debutant
When an Indian player can do as well (actually he is doing better than Vettori in the ipl) I don't know why they should waste a spinners place on Vettori when they could have a good "'attacking'" all-rounder like Maharoof. (Look at last IPL stats to know his performance)
Looking at stats (not just IPL, but T20 internationals and all domestic T20's) Vettori and Maharoof have almost identical batting statistics but Vettori's bowling is FAR superior. I think you'd find it hard to find someone on here who would rather Maharoof in their team than Vettori.

Also Mishra and Vettori have very similar records in the IPL this season. Their averages are pretty much identical, Mishra's econ is slightly better but Vettori's S/R is slightly better. I think they'd be pretty formidable bowling in tandem.

You seem to think people are critisising Mishra here, when that definitely isn't the case.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Looking at stats (not just IPL, but T20 internationals and all domestic T20's) Vettori and Maharoof have almost identical batting statistics but Vettori's bowling is FAR superior. I think you'd find it hard to find someone on here who would rather Maharoof in their team than Vettori.

Also Mishra and Vettori have very similar records in the IPL this season. Their averages are pretty much identical, Mishra's econ is slightly better but Vettori's S/R is slightly better. I think they'd be pretty formidable bowling in tandem.

You seem to think people are critisising Mishra here, when that definitely isn't the case.
I diidn't think that was the case. I just said that Vettori being left out was because an Indian spinner was doing well, so they felt th need for Maharoof who last year hit warne or 28 in an over. Thats all.

But as you say 2 spinners in tandem would be great for the team.

Briony

International Debutant
Looks like that RR will miss out on the semis thanks to the pathetic batting efforts of Graeme Smith. I hope he's dropped next match and a more deserving member of their squad gets a gig. Surely the high-priced Henderson is worth another go. And Smith is embarrassingly overweight.

Good performances from Dilshan and AB to bring Delhi home.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Looks like that RR will miss out on the semis thanks to the pathetic batting efforts of Graeme Smith. I hope he's dropped next match and a more deserving member of their squad gets a gig. Surely the high-priced Henderson is worth another go. And Smith is embarrassingly overweight.
He hasn't been good this tournament but you can't just drop him. It isn't like the other options are far better.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Their bowling and middle order batting has been fine, it has been the opening that has let RR down. It is shown that in the first six overs, they have, on average, scored the least runs and lost the most wickets. If they had Watson, even just to open, then they might have already secured a semi final spot. They wasted overseas spots on Quiney and Carseldine (sp?) and it has cost them dearly.

Briony

International Debutant
Their bowling and middle order batting has been fine, it has been the opening that has let RR down. It is shown that in the first six overs, they have, on average, scored the least runs and lost the most wickets. If they had Watson, even just to open, then they might have already secured a semi final spot. They wasted overseas spots on Quiney and Carseldine (sp?) and it has cost them dearly.
They have the worst overseas players of all the franchises. Quiney and Carseldine haven't been great but they've been no worse than Smith who looks badly out of condition as well. Says something about his lack of professionalism. Surely also if you pay so much for Henderson, he's worth more than one game when Smith is allowed to fail in just about every game. Maybe Smith doesn't cut the mustard in this form of the game because being so overweight makes him slow and he, unlike the other openers, lacks the power to cross the boundaries, a fact pointed out by the stats guys in the analysis of sixes hit over the tournament. He's composed of fat, not muscle. His balance also seems out, probably a result of the ballast he's carrying. Looks like being a liability in England.

AB has been mega impressive. Is he now SA's best batsman?

Kallis has also been disappointing with the bat.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
They have the worst overseas players of all the franchises. Quiney and Carseldine haven't been great but they've been no worse than Smith who looks badly out of condition as well. Says something about his lack of professionalism. Surely also if you pay so much for Henderson, he's worth more than one game when Smith is allowed to fail in just about every game. Maybe Smith doesn't cut the mustard in this form of the game because being so overweight makes him slow and he, unlike the other openers, lacks the power to cross the boundaries, a fact pointed out by the stats guys in the analysis of sixes hit over the tournament. He's composed of fat, not muscle. His balance also seems out, probably a result of the ballast he's carrying. Looks like being a liability in England.
AB has been mega impressive. Is he now SA's best batsman?

Kallis has also been disappointing with the bat.
Just like last summer. 8-) :laugh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't rate Vetorri at all in Tests. But he is a very very good OD and T20 player. Mishra hasn't played international T20s but he has done very well in the IPL. I'd like to see them both playing.

I'd still take Vetorri in T20 though.

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
looking at how guys like Karthik, Nehra and even Munaf [that over against MI] have performed may be the Indian selectors jumped the gun in announcing the squad [that is if they were not required to meet an ICC deadline]

From the guys in the team, Sehwag and Gambhir need to find some form. Raina needs a few more big scores. Zak has been bowling rubbish in T20s. Praveen Kumar is not doing enough, Bhajji goes up and down player, Yuvi needs a few good scores under his belt too, YP needs to pick up his game. He has not been consistent after that match-winning inning against Delhi, iirc

On the other hand, Rohit and Dhoni have been shaping up well, and so are RP and Ojha .... Ishant and IP have been decent,