• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL 2009

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
DC play one game v BRC if I am not wrong..

Inspired move to send Botha up the order. Warne's genius again.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The trouble with this chase with the RR jumping to 12 is how big the ground is. Not easy to hit big shots. You have to get the 1s, 2s and 3s. It is almost impossible that Royals will win from here.

ret

International Debutant
DC play one game v BRC if I am not wrong..
it means that game will be like a QF if BRC beats DD

but for RR to go through, K11 has to lose to CSK, if K11 wins against CSK then RR has to hope that BRC loses to DD and beats DC .... but that all comes in to only if RR beats KKR

Polo23

International Debutant
Still can't believe Vettori isn't playing. He really must have done something wrong with the management because not only is he the best limited overs bowler in the world, he has been very good throughout this IPL at controlling the middle overs of the innings. To play Nannes AND Maharoof ahead of him?! Absolute bloody madness.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Still can't believe Vettori isn't playing. He really must have done something wrong with the management because not only is he the best limited overs bowler in the world, he has been very good throughout this IPL at controlling the middle overs of the innings. To play Nannes AND Maharoof ahead of him?! Absolute bloody madness.
More to do with the fact that Delhi has no good local pace bowlers and aren't too bad in the spin category than anything to do with Vettori. If they could pick whoever they like Vettori would be in the team every single game, but for the sake of team balance they take the inferior local spin bowler because he's still gun as opposed to the dire pacers.

Polo23

International Debutant
More to do with the fact that Delhi has no good local pace bowlers and aren't too bad in the spin category than anything to do with Vettori. If they could pick whoever they like Vettori would be in the team every single game, but for the sake of team balance they take the inferior local spin bowler because he's still gun as opposed to the dire pacers.
I dunno about that. Nehra has been fantastic all tournament and if they play one of Maharoof or Nannes then they have a pretty decent opening combination. Then they have Mishra and Vettori for the middle overs and Salvi and Dilshan to make up the 5th bowler. I'd say that attack will be more potent, on these pitches it would make scoring in the middle overs very very difficult.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
The inferior local spinner you are talking about is Amit Mishra, who has a five wicket haul on test debut, has an IPL hat-trick under his belt and has performed well for Delhi in every game he has played in.

Polo23

International Debutant
The inferior local spinner you are talking about is Amit Mishra, who has a five wicket haul on test debut, has an IPL hat-trick under his belt and has performed well for Delhi in every game he has played in.
Yet he is still an inferior T20 bowler than Vettori. Which shows exactly just how good Vettori is, and the type of quality DD are leaving on the sidelines.

ret

International Debutant
if Mishra had been a Kiwi bowler and Vettori an Indian one, these kiwi guys would be saying the opposite :p

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
if Mishra had been a Kiwi bowler and Vettori an Indian one, these kiwi guys would be saying the opposite :p
I thought it was widely believed that Vettori was one of the best limited overs bowlers around? Haven't heard the same about Mishra. :-O

Anyways, Vettori has been left on the sidelines as a result of Sehwags injury. So Warner for Vettori made sense. However playing both Maharoof and Nannes over Vettori was a bit puzzling. But heck, they won anyway so who cares.

ret

International Debutant
I thought it was widely believed that Vettori was one of the best limited overs bowlers around? Haven't heard the same about Mishra. :-O
if you had watched Mishra bowl, you probably wouldn't have said that. Imo, Mishra is a better wkt taking option, while Vettori a better restrictive one so it also depends up on what the captain is looking for

But again, Mishra plays as one of the local players, while Vettori as one of the overseas ones

Flem274*

123/5
Bet Vettori doesn't care anyway, as long as he gets paid. not like he's been left out of the NZ team.

Also, after McCullums reprimand for abusing the umpire, I vote he becomes captain of NZ. :p

Imagine the possibilities, McIntosh scores another duck..

Athlai

Not Terrible
Mishra isn't as good as Vettori in limited overs, though he is probably better in Tests and my point was that Mishra is still a fantastic second option even if worse than Vettori he's still better than Delhi's pace options.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Rohit Sharma should definitely play for India regularly in the T20 WC matches this year. I always felt that he was no good at ODIs but I have slightly changed my stand on his abilities after his recent performances. If he is consistent for a year or so from now, I wont have any problem with him playing ODIs for India.
Rohit's ODI record isn't terribly flash at the moment, but he is young, he is a classy player and right now there's not really a place in India's top 6 for him.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Rohit's ODI record isn't terribly flash at the moment, but he is young, he is a classy player and right now there's not really a place in India's top 6 for him.
If he maintains consistency for one year or so, Yusuf Pathan will start to struggle to maintain his spot in the side after his big shots dry up. He just doesn't have the ability to hang in and play a big innings. After he fails a lot, the selectors will pick Rohit Sharma in the side.

Or another scenario is Irfan Pathan losing his spot in the side and Yusuf playing as a spin bowling all-rounder at no.7 with Rohit Sharma in the side.