• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in England

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Edwards has been bowling well. Rampaul will add some quality. Taylor seems not up to Test matches so having to do less in the ODIs will suit him. Baker's done well so far in ODIs. Expecting a close series.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
The WICB should have never agreed to the series etc etc

But I can't pretend that it doesn't hurt to see talented cricketers stroll around the field without a care in the World when we know just how good they can be. For example, compare JT in this series to the bowler who humiliated England with pace and swing at Sabina Park and bundled out South Africa at PE in 2007.

I understand twhy they have struggled with the bat because these are very unfamiliar conditions where most touring teams struggle, but it is the performances in the field that have been unfair on us long suffering fans. Is it too much to ask that they give 100% at all times rather than for short segments when someone who can't bat to save his life is in?

They better give a big performance in the ODI's to make up for this. We are the better ODI side with the more potent batting lineup IMHO so we SHOULD win at least 2 of them. The only thing I would say is that Headingly might be problematic as it is a ground we never do well at.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
God I hate it when journalists ramble on during the lunch break for TMS.

If only those they knew a fraction of what they think they know then I might give a **** what they think. Instead I'm just insulted by their utter cluelessness particularly when they go on about Panesar and technology in cricket. Worthless know-nothing muppets.

They already get one say in the birdcage bogroll, don't merit another opportunity.

Last edited:

roseboy64

The WICB should have never agreed to the series etc etc

But I can't pretend that it doesn't hurt to see talented cricketers stroll around the field without a care in the World when we know just how good they can be. For example, compare JT in this series to the bowler who humiliated England with pace and swing at Sabina Park and bundled out South Africa at PE in 2007.

I understand twhy they have struggled with the bat because these are very unfamiliar conditions where most touring teams struggle, but it is the performances in the field that have been unfair on us long suffering fans. Is it too much to ask that they give 100% at all times rather than for short segments when someone who can't bat to save his life is in?

They better give a big performance in the ODI's to make up for this. We are the better ODI side with the more potent batting lineup IMHO so we SHOULD win at least 2 of them. The only thing I would say is that Headingly might be problematic as it is a ground we never do well at.
Agree they should be giving better performances but just have to bounce back against Bangladesh and the Aussies.

King Pietersen

International Captain
First Test dismissal as Keeper for Collingwood. Give him the gloves permanently :p. Another wicket for Jimmy, 1 away from a Test Match 10 wicket haul now!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Harmison must be seriously crap these days if he's behind Broad, Bresnan, and Onions for any reason other than the selectors losing patience with his attitude

Let's face it, unless Harmison's absolutely lost it completely, even his most serious detractors would have to admit that he'd have been a massive handful in ths conditions that England have bowled in this summer PLUS I seriously doubt that Gayle would be walking down the wicket and plonking him into the stands over his head
You've pretty much nailed it; Harmy's probably exhausted his final last chance. Plus he's currently sitting out the latest round of FP games due to a shin problem that might turn into a stress fracture, so wouldn't have been available for the 2nd test anyway.

Great physical gifts; pea-sized heart.

King Pietersen

International Captain
All over. Bresnan picks up the last wicket, bit annoyed, I wanted Jimmy to get a 10fer. Ah well, a comprehensive victory, victory in 3 days in the 1st Test and in under 4 in the 2nd. Can't argue with that. West Indies are rubbish.

roseboy64

All over. Bresnan picks up the last wicket, bit annoyed, I wanted Jimmy to get a 10fer. Ah well, a comprehensive victory, victory in 3 days in the 1st Test and in under 4 in the 2nd. Can't argue with that. West Indies are rubbish.
Yep definitely so when they drew with Sri Lanka and New Zealand and beat England. 8-) The correct term is West Indies 'have been' rubbish.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well done lads. Comprehensively outplayed some pretty moderate oppo.:)

Not getting carried away, but I do feel marginally better about things after this series, then I did after the inapt performance in the Caribbean.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, good performance from the chaps. Plenty to take forward to yer Ashes, but perspective must be maintained.

Pretty disappointing showing from the Windies. One gets the distinct impression quite a few hearts weren't quite in it.

May tests have to go tho; public clearly voting with their feet.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, good performance from the chaps. Plenty to take forward to yer Ashes, but perspective must be maintained.

Pretty disappointing showing from the Windies. One gets the distinct impression quite a few hearts weren't quite in it.

May tests have to go tho; public clearly voting with their feet.
Or massively reduce ticket prices at this time of year.

Barring injuries, the side for the 1st Ashes test is settled apart from Bresnan vs 6th batman if Fred isn't fit. Nice confidence booster, and I'd like to think a side is being created in the coach's image. Maybe optimistic. We're probably 12 months away from being a genuinely good side.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Delighted with the choices of the awards:

Man Of The Match: Jimmy Anderson
Man Of The Series (England): Ravi Bopara

Cracking picks, Jimmy could have got both, but I'm glad Ravi got the award, has batted beautifully.

Briony

International Debutant
Meh. Same difference. Losing a 2 match series 2-0, losing both matches by an innings is rubbish.
Technically speaking they only lost one of the matches by an innings but they were still rubbish. They were poorly led and looked lacklustre for a lot of the time.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Really pleased by the way we didn't just win, but we won convincingly and everyone contributed well. I like this team and I like their attitude.

I don't think necessarily we need to do away with May tests, although six for the summer seems sufficient, and works well when there is no Ashes. I will be really pleased if WI are replaced by Pakistan next summer though. I'd much rather watch us playing a team who act as though they give a ****.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Here are my musings on various individual players in the series:

England:

Jimmy Anderson - Awesome and absolutely unplayable at various points in the series. If the Aussies face overcast conditions for much of the Ashes they may well be in trouble as they are not exactly super against swing either.

Graham Onions - I'm extremely impressed, he has the attributes to be a solid test match bowler in most conditions, and a destroyer when there is movement off the pitch. I can see him getting a decent number of wickets in the Ashes.

Tim Bresnan - Not overly impressed tbh, though his opportunities have been limited it has to be said. Will be ok when it swings but I have my doubts about his effectiveness when it doesn't swing.

Ravi Bopara - Looks very good and I enjoy watching him bat. We have been generous enough to drop him on a number of occasions and I doubt the Aussies will do the same, but I still think he is the real deal.

Windies:

Fidel Edwards - Top bowling at Lords that should have put us in an excellent position if not for poor fielding. Less impressive in this test but conditions were not in his favour. He is developing into an excellent tearaway fast bowler.

Jerome Taylor - Simply not himself during this entire tour, pace was 3-5mph down and he looked to be placing the ball rather than bowling it with effort. Very disappointing as a fully fit and firing JT would have been so good in these conditions.

Lionel Baker - Not good enough IMHO. Not as quick as Fidel or JT, he's not that accurate, doesn't get much movement even in these conditions and he is the same height so doesn't add anything different. Ravi Rampaul should be our 3rd seamer. If they want extra height it should be Richardson and if they want pace like fiyah it should be Pascal. It's not rocket science FFS. Sometimes our selectors make things seem so difficult.

Devon Smith - Why why why was he even here? I will not even bother following the Bangladesh series if he is not replaced by Adrian Barath.

Lendl Simmons - Is clearly a talent and plays some extremely pleasing shots but his technique has been well and truly found out. The selectors will have to decide whether we can do better at number 4 or if they should persist with him. I personally think Dwayne Bravo is a better batsman than Simmo anyway and I would bat him at 4. He tends to bat better when he is given more responsibility.

My team to play Bangladesh in July:

Chris Gayle (c)
Adrian Barath
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Dwayne Bravo
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Brendan Nash
Denesh Ramdin
Jerome Taylor
Suliemann Benn
Ravi Rampaul
Fidel Edwards