• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in England

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Nah, best selection of the decade is Trescothick. He's been battering county attacks for fun over the last two seasons since he retired from international cricket and he still averages over 5 more in tests than in first-class cricket.
agreed, onions will be forgotten by the end of the summer. tresco and vaughan were plucked almost from obscurity and did well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Collingwood keeping wicket in Prior's absence. Interesting to see what kind of job he makes. Future trivia question I suspect: first Durham player to keep in tests for England.

Might mean Fozzie gets a gig in the ODI side if Matty has broken his ring (fnarr, fnarr) finger.

tooextracool

International Coach
Nah, best selection of the decade is Trescothick. He's been battering county attacks for fun over the last two seasons since he retired from international cricket and he still averages over 5 more in tests than in first-class cricket.
Trescothick was initially selected for a different format, for which he had had a decent run of scores before making his debut. The only reason he got selected for tests was because he had taken like a duck to water that he was given a shot in tests. He was hardly a rip roaring success in tests during his early years, merely a mediocre flat track bully scoring runs on featherbeds until around 2004-05 when he really stepped up and became a test player to take note off. I would not be surprised if his FC career picked up from then going forward as well.

tooextracool

International Coach
agreed, onions will be forgotten by the end of the summer. tresco and vaughan were plucked almost from obscurity and did well.
Vaughan made his debut last decade.
Onions may be forgotten at the end of the summer, but he is a class above Harmison, Sajid Mahmood, Liam Plunkett, Amjad Khan and virtually anyone else who had been suggested with a shot of playing for England.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Collingwood keeping wicket in Prior's absence. Interesting to see what kind of job he makes. Future trivia question I suspect: first Durham player to keep in tests for England.

Might mean Fozzie gets a gig in the ODI side if Matty has broken his ring (fnarr, fnarr) finger.
Let us know if he does a better job than Prior.

They might swap jobs in the long term.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well Onions gets Sarwan, and I don't care what the naysayers say I like the look of him.

Ohh and now a snorter gets gayle:)

King Pietersen

International Captain
Onions is a leg-end. The thinking to get Sarwan out was top class. Everyone was expecting the short ball, so the full straight one was perfect. All his LBW's seem to end with the batsman falling over somewhat. Looks a handy bowler, miles better than Bresnan, who lets be honest, no-one expected a great deal from anyway, very average cricketer.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Should win this tomorrow, not great all day long, some poor spells, but in general we've had too much for them.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Dire application from the windies, they should just give England the test and get on the plane. Even shiv's concentration's looked iffy.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
LOL @ Broad, diplomatic. Asked about Prior, he said he was okay etc, and that it was good, because "he's been in great form for us with the bat," pause, long pause, "er, and the gloves, honest, I really mean that, I promise."

Woodster

International Captain
England once again looking in full control of this Test, save for a gritty Chanderpaul special tomorrow.

Been relatively impressed by Onions so far, he came back well from a bit of a towsing early in his spell, and the wickets of Gayle and Sarwan were invaluable, two good deliveries. Seems a skiddier type of bowler who pitches it up there and gives the ball a chance. Wholehearted, and deserving of his place judged solely on recent efforts.

Tim Bresnan does not seem to have the same confidence instilled in him from Strauss as yet. A few overs here and there and not had a real opportunity to prove his worth. Should have had his first Test wicket today, but for the flat footed Prior who waved it bye as it sailed between him and Straussy at first slip.

The plans are currently being executed well, Broad's effort against Sarwan in the first innings demonstrated that the plans put in place are only as good as the guys executing them, and Broad did it very well in this instance. Anderson v Edwards part 2 tomorrow, Jimmy may be focusing more on removing his stumps rather than his head in the next duel.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Where are all the posts about how England's batting is actually useless and the pitch was just ridiculously flat? Did it turn into a minefield when Strauss declared?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Where are all the posts about how England's batting is actually useless and the pitch was just ridiculously flat? Did it turn into a minefield when Strauss declared?
Yep, apparently it did. I reckon it was those sneaky Durhamers did it, can't trust these northern types:@