• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Ranks the Bowlers

BoyBrumby

Englishman
1) Waqar Younis
2) Fred Trueman

Can't whack a bit of sphincter-loosening pace.
Lost count of how many times I've recycled this now tbh.

Still maintain that before his injury Waqar is the best I've ever seen. If he hadn't had the ticker to come back he'd have ended up with nearly 200 wickets at a tick over 18 each. Seems wrong to penalise a bloke for wanting it enough to play on.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It seems the fight is between Lillee and Imran this round. I don't care who wins between the two, as I respect both greats almost equally as bowlers. So, I shall vote for those two whom I would have voted for in this round (and evidently whom I consider better than the abovementioned two). My votes are:

1. Bill O'Reilly
2. George Lohmann

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Still maintain that before his injury Waqar is the best I've ever seen. If he hadn't had the ticker to come back he'd have ended up with nearly 200 wickets at a tick over 18 each. Seems wrong to penalise a bloke for wanting it enough to play on.
It's hard to argue with this. He was a force of nature and really astonishingly good.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Lost count of how many times I've recycled this now tbh.

I have often felt the same way.

Its difficult to say which of the bowlers one sees decades apart is the best but I doubt if any bowler has filled me with a kind of tense apprehension as Waqar did when he started on his run up at his peak. I literally had goose pimples all over. He was a fast bowler's fast bowler. At his best he would not look out of place in the company of any bowler in history - thats how good he was.

I think we are lucky to have seen so many great fast bowlers in the last three decades of the 20th century. It will be a long time before we have such a 'crowd' again.

adharcric

International Coach
Vote for #9 bowler of all-time

Haha, one round lasts longer than usual because I disappear for the weekend and the crowd goes up in arms about the format sucking. Love it.

Lillee over Imran in a tight one.

1. Malcolm Marshall
2. Sydney Barnes
3. Glenn McGrath
4. Curtly Ambrose
5. Richard Hadlee
6. Muttiah Muralitharan
7. Shane Warne
8. Dennis Lillee

The vote for the #9 bowler of all-time begins now.