• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

JBH001

International Regular
Yeah, NZ cricket seems to love strawmen. He should never have been placed in the position of batting AR. Not upto it and seems to have cost him his bowling too.

In other news, played some cricket yesterday and screwed my left knee by landing on it badly. Tried to bowl some pacers instead of my usual off-spinners and leg-spinners and paid the price for it with a sore left knee today. Anyway, home time for me. Pleasure chatting with you gents. Hope we are still batting by the time I get home.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
No runs and 1 wicket @ 290 odd tends to do that.
Batting out of position and being told your bowling is not your best asset by everyone and their dog tends to do that.

Tell Franklin to forget about batting, put him down and number 9 and tell him to bowl, which has got him to test level and what has got him success. Concentrate on bowling ffs, I'm not even sure Franklin knows what he is anymore.

Extremely unlucky in the other test too, got plenty of nicks from the Indian batsmen.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Batting out of position and being told your bowling is not your best asset by everyone and their dog tends to do that.

Tell Franklin to forget about batting, put him down and number 9 and tell him to bowl, which has got him to test level and what has got him success. Concentrate on bowling ffs, I'm not even sure Franklin knows what he is anymore.

Extremely unlucky in the other test too, got plenty of nicks from the Indian batsmen.
He bats top six domestically, doesn't he?

Flem274*

123/5
McIntosh, and Franklin should never play for NZ again, Southee should play atleast 2-3 more years of FC before he comes back in.
McIntosh I agree but Franklin? Go look at his bowling record in tests pre-comeback. If you think he can't ever be that good again for some reason then there's some merit in your drop, but if its based on this comeback alone.....some historical perspective would be handy.

Southee I agree on, atm he's a greentop bully. He has the assets to be better in future, but the guy isn't good enough atm.

Howsie

International Captain
McIntosh, and Franklin should never play for NZ again, Southee should play atleast 2-3 more years of FC before he comes back in.
Vettori should play as the all-rounder, he isn't a good enough Test Bowler to bat at eight.

And Williamson and McCleanghan should also be in this team.

Flem274*

123/5
He bats top six domestically, doesn't he?
Wellington with Black Caps

Bell
Brodie
Parlane
Ryder
Crook
Elliott
Franklin
Nevin

Wellington without (and this is FC and I'm assuming NZ are playing tests, also assuming Bell doesn't have yet another recall)

Bell
Brodie
Parlane
Crook
Elliott
Franklin

So yes, but borderline top 6 (though he's had plenty of success this season). Wellington doesn't have a huge amount of batsmen tbf, its their bowling that is awesome. Franklin is good enough to be a true allrounder at FC level, but at test level atm he's a good swing bowler that can bat at 8.

Flem274*

123/5
Vettori should play as the all-rounder, he isn't a good enough Test Bowler to bat at eight.

And Williamson and McCleanghan should also be in this team.
:laugh:

McClennaghan struggles to average under 40 at FC level ffs, what the **** is he going to do at test level?

To give some perspective, Southee, Gillespie and Franklin all average mid 20s with the ball, so McClennaghan would probably be twice as bad as they have been this series.

Williamson is 18 years old, still maturing in FC cricket (spent half the season for ND at 5 or 6) debuting him in Sri Lanka would be almost as dumb as Ken Rutherford at 19 vs the WI.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
McIntosh I agree but Franklin? Go look at his bowling record in tests pre-comeback. If you think he can't ever be that good again for some reason then there's some merit in your drop, but if its based on this comeback alone.....some historical perspective would be handy.
Not really. Performances from three years ago mean diddly. You only have to see from the amount of overs Franklin has been given this series to consider that he isn't fancied much. They took a punt that he could bat top six (and bowl a few overs here and there) and thus far he hasn't shown he can do it on the international stage.

Flem274*

123/5
Not really. Performances from three years ago mean diddly. You only have to see from the amount of overs Franklin has been given this series to consider that he isn't fancied much. They took a punt that he could bat top six (and bowl a few overs here and there) and thus far he hasn't shown he can do it on the international stage.
Performances from three years ago show what he's capable of though. In the WI series he was well underdone. He could probably be dropped sure (though the signs in this test are he's getting back up, albeit slowly) but never picked again?

Howsie

International Captain
:laugh:

McClennaghan struggles to average under 40 at FC level ffs, what the **** is he going to do at test level?

To give some perspective, Southee, Gillespie and Franklin all average mid 20s with the ball, so McClennaghan would probably be twice as bad as they have been this series.

Williamson is 18 years old, still maturing in FC cricket (spent half the season for ND at 5 or 6) debuting him in Sri Lanka would be almost as dumb as Ken Rutherford at 19 vs the WI.
Go and have a look on the net, Rob Key and some of the other England Lions batsmen said he was the best bowler they have faced in while. He is really fast.

Flem274*

123/5
Tbh, if some random bowler or batsman does well in the final, they'll probably go to SL. I can see it happening, especially if they're called Sinclair, Raval or McClennaghan

Flem274*

123/5
Go and have a look on the net, Rob Key and some of the other England Lions batsmen said he was the best bowler they have faced in while. He is really fast.
omg he'z reely farst.

They might rate him sure, and based on that series they might as well (they still smashed him around though), but come on, the guy is getting tonked by our domestic journeymen. He.Isnt. Ready. For. Test. Cricket.

EDIT: Also, Key gets to face Mahmood in the nets. I'd be really depressed in McClennaghan somehow turned out worse.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Wellington with Black Caps

Bell
Brodie
Parlane
Ryder
Crook
Elliott
Franklin
Nevin

Wellington without (and this is FC and I'm assuming NZ are playing tests, also assuming Bell doesn't have yet another recall)

Bell
Brodie
Parlane
Crook
Elliott
Franklin

So yes, but borderline top 6 (though he's had plenty of success this season). Wellington doesn't have a huge amount of batsmen tbf, its their bowling that is awesome. Franklin is good enough to be a true allrounder at FC level, but at test level atm he's a good swing bowler that can bat at 8.
Didn't Napier turn out for them? :ph34r:

Nice shot from Franklin there...

Howsie

International Captain

From what I've heard McCleanghan does have a future with NZ cricket, but he is not ready for test cricket. And I would really hate to see Kane Williamson taken to Sri Lanka. Give him two more years of FC cricket atleast.

Flem274*

123/5
From what I've heard McCleanghan does have a future with NZ cricket, but he is not ready for test cricket. And I would really hate to see Kane Williamson taken to Sri Lanka. Give him two more years of FC cricket atleast.
Amen.

EDIT: (to Howsie) Also, who would Williamson replace? He hasn't batted three for ND yet, so not Flynn. Franklin? OK, four bowlers in SL, hope they don't get injured. Push Flynn, Taylor and Ryder up one spot and slot him at five? Flynn ain't an opener, Taylor ain't a number three. Ryder could work at four, but thats about it.

Last edited: