• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Evermind

International Debutant
Why's everyone saying a par score's 400 when the pitch is said to be brown and grassless? I didn't get a chance to watch any of this. :(

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Fun day at the cricket today:

HIGHS
- perfect weather. Sunny, the very occasional light zephyr passing its way over the ground and warm enough for the chicks to be in short shorts and tank tops.
- Great day's entertainment - 375 runs and 9 wickets. Can't reeeeally complain about that.
- watching some of Tendulkar's exquisite shots in the first session.
- beers only $5 a pop, which isn't the worst really. I thought they'd be at least $6 or $7 each.
- Franklin was really getting it through - McCullum was taking balls from Franko and O'Brilliant up around his face (cue :naughty: smilie)

LOWS
- ball dropping agonisingly out of the reach of fielders several times.
- Southee over-pitching in the first section
- not being allowed on the field at lunchtime to play cricket..
- the ticketing pass-in/pass-out system. They were scanning every single ticket whenever someone came in or went out which would be fine if they had scanners that ****ING WORKED!! I kid you not, I had one pimply kid attempting to scan my ticket for over a minute. The infra-red light was as weak as a Chris Martin batting effort. When we went out to grab some lunch it must have taken at least 10 minutes to get out the gate. Dead-set, I'm not sure how you could have ****ed that up, NZ Cricket, but you have.

Maximus0723

State Regular
Why's everyone saying a par score's 400 when the pitch is said to be brown and grassless? I didn't get a chance to watch any of this. :(
It has lot of grass but it's rolled over.

First session did have good amount of swing. That's the only one I watched.
Sehwag's ball moved off the seem and had a good bounce.
This was a neutral pitch, IMO. Not a batsman or bowler's heaven.

Last edited:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Awesome day at the cricket, although the Indian tail wag was annoying. So many balls falling just short of fielders etc

320 odd would have been acceptable, but 375-9 makes it sorta India's day, but if NZ can bat for 2 days we will have plenty of time again to try and force a result.

Great crowd, great weather. The atmosphere at the Basin was awesome. BFJ now has a cult following, will be brilliant if he can score big tomorrow, hopefully there will be even more people down there.

I'll be down there again, this time with sunscreen.

JBH001

International Regular
What a day of play!

A bit more runs conceded than we would have liked, but there is still 4 days left in the test. A solid batting effort over 2 days and we should be in a position to turn the screws. Tomorrow is probably make or break day in terms of winning the test, and drawing the series.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I told you Munaf was good for 15-20 runs occasionally...

I don't think they'll be around for more than three overs though.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
At one stage like many others i thought we would not go past 250 but love the lower order batting. Harbajan shows how useful he really is with the bat. Awesome stuff really.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Glad India are basically out in the first day. Regardless of the high score. If we bat a day we'll be up around there there too and if we bat longer than that we'll be leading.

We need four good batting sessions and to bowl India out so we have less than 300 to chase with 6 sessions to spare IMO.

Bet we'll dominate the match and it'll rain and India draw. :ph34r:

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Still think India wud have scored less than par... Pitch should ease on days 2 and 3 and perhaps NZ will get the best of the batting conditions.. But the weather will be the X factor.

Still put NZ ahead 60-40 ATM though...
The pitch is offering seam movement which will be difficult to handle considering
in both the tests nz top order has not lasted till i wake up in the morning and if indians
do not drop easy catches nz are in serious trouble.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Harbhajan Singh in last 16 tests (beginning of 2008), scored 504 runs as opposed to 1497 runs in 77 match career. 265 runs at 37.85 in 5 tests against Australia. 5 fifties too in those 16 tests I think, he's definitely improving. He's hitting runs when we actually need them too which is nice.

India need to keep NZ's possible lead to 50 runs or so, 75 max if they are to have a chance of winning. If NZ get 500+ India are in deep trouble and batting out a draw on this surface won't be anywhere near as easy Napier. If India get through the first 3 again in quick time there's going to be an awful lot of pressure on Ryder and Taylor, I'm not so sure Mccullum's going to hit too many runs in these conditions.

ret

International Debutant
Day 1, India 375/9

will take the runs but not the wickets. they lost too many .... It's hard to speculate how many NZ will get. Who knows NZ might bundle out for 250 or play well and get 450. For Ind, the positive is that they are close to the higher side of what NZ could get

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
What do you think about NZ sending Ryder up the order if the chance presents itself? He is in redhot form and surely it must demoralise the Indians a bit to see him walking out to bat once the new ball has been seen off, rather than Taylor who you unfortunately at the moment you feel is always going to give you chances.

Hoping the new NZ Openers can put on a partnership of sorts.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Day 1, India 375/9

will take the runs but not the wickets. they lost too many .... It's hard to speculate how many NZ will get. Who knows NZ might bundle out for 250 or play well and get 450. For Ind, the positive is that they are close to the higher side of what NZ could get
Disagree. Jesse Ryder's form is amazing, he is the only one that seems to decide when he gets out.

NZ could very easily rack up 600+ here, just like the second Test.