• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wonder how much patel would have helped.. the welly boys doing good on their local track

Ps. **** pitch
In hindsight couldn't do any worse than Southee has. Easy to say now though; I probably would have picked Southee ahead of Patel too.

Playing Southee seems to be part of the 'we're going to pretend it's a green seamer and bowl first' approach. Probably a plan hatched by Vettori with some bitterness towards the groundsman!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
In hindsight couldn't do any worse than Southee has. Easy to say now though; I probably would have picked Southee ahead of Patel too.

Playing Southee seems to be part of the 'we're going to pretend it's a green seamer and bowl first' approach. Probably a plan hatched by Vettori with some bitterness towards the groundsman!
Absolutely rotten bowling from Southee (and at times Martin). Completely wasted the new rock. Normally I'd be completely apoplectic after a first hour like that, but I'm too giddy over Jimmy to care. Fast, accurate, with good variation, bounce and swing. He was all over Sachin, and if he can keep that up after lunch he'll have as good a chance as any of picking him up. Welcome back Frank.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
What speeds was Franklin clocking? Didn't see any signs of a speedo.

Gambhir's wicket was dissappointing, he should have read that. Sehwag's was expected. Backing Tendulkar for a hundy here, probably the kiss of death...

Yuvraj has got no chance unless he comes in with a lot of time against the old ball.

I think Vettori's made a bit of a howler bowling first here, he's given Bhaji last crack at NZ on a surface that should really suit him. Bit of a slap in the face to his batsmen too considering they just hit 600...I think spending all day in the field today is going to really take it's toll on O'Brien and Martin, coming off 3 days in the field that's a hell of a lot of bowling and fielding. NZ need another 2 wickets in the second session or they're in trouble. Definitely would have played Patel over Franklin, even in hindsight.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
What speeds was Franklin clocking? Didn't see any signs of a speedo.

Gambhir's wicket was dissappointing, he should have read that. Sehwag's was expected. Backing Tendulkar for a hundy here, probably the kiss of death...

Yuvraj has got no chance unless he comes in with a lot of time against the old ball.
Around 135-140.

Polo23

International Debutant
Franklin always had to play. He's NZ's best swing bowler, and the only way we are going to bowl India out on this pitch is with swing.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
It was NZ's session. If India get 2-3 more wickets in this session, India could be done.
Considering they were put in I reckon India will take that session. They got over 100 on the board which is good and Southee looks all over the place which doesn't bode well for NZ. The fact that both Tendulkar and Dravid are still there will make them happy too. Second session is absolutely critical for NZ's chances, they need minimum 2 wickets. At the very least they'll want Yuvraj facing the second new ball, then they can get through the tail quickly and will have a chance of knocking India over for less than 400. Probably looking a bit too far ahead.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm...from the sounds of it there's a bit more in the pitch than anyone though. Is that right, or is this just really good bowling?