• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is currently India's best Test batsman?

Who is currently India's best Test batsman?

• Total voters

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe not. Why do you disagree with the notion that Chanderpaul > Tendulkar right now? Is it a matter of form vs class or am I totally missing your point?
Its purely class AND Sachin is not in bad form by any stretch of imagination.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Its purely class AND Sachin is not in bad form by any stretch of imagination.
After facing both batsman in recent series, I'd say that they're about equal at present. Both seem almost impossible to get out, maybe Chanderpaul more so in that department, yet Sachin is more dangerous in terms of playing a match winning knock.

It really depends upon the situation, if you want to win I'd take Sachin, if you want to draw I'd consider Chanderpaul.

Xuhaib

International Coach
After facing both batsman in recent series, I'd say that they're about equal at present. Both seem almost impossible to get out, maybe Chanderpaul more so in that department, yet Sachin is more dangerous in terms of playing a match winning knock.

It really depends upon the situation, if you want to win I'd take Sachin, if you want to draw I'd consider Chanderpaul.
Chanders has been sustaining his form longer thats why I went for him over Sachin nor do I think current Sachin is more dangerous in playing match winning knocks its just that he plays in a better unit so he gets more opportunities to play match winning stuff then Shiv.

People are forgetting this is not the 90's Sachin who looked immovable as well as destructive the current Sachin maybe as immovable but is certanly not half as dominating.

Maximus0723

State Regular
Its not all that simple you know? I am actually very confused. These Indians seem to have this rotating system. I mean lets take the month of March itself. The best batsman has changed more often than my wife's opinion on whether Siddhu is a pain in the backside or just a bad dream.

As on

• 3rd March 2009 - MS Dhoni
  • 6th March 2009 - Tendulkar
  • 8th March 2009 - Tendulkar
  • 11th March 2009 - Sehwag
  • 14th March 2009 - Rohit Sharma
  • 19th March 2009 - Gambhir
  • 20th March 2009 - Tendulkar
  • 28th March 2009 - Dravid
  • 29th March 2009 - Gambhir
  • 30th March 2009 - Laxman

I mean how do I decide.

Give a clue mate. When you say "currently", do you mean this month (which is impossible as you can see), This fortnight, this week, or do you have in mind a specific hour of the day on a specific day of the week on a specific month . . . . .

:wacko:
I mean whatever u mean "that" as.

gwo

U19 Debutant

Wait, you're in the NZ cricket team?

... Wait, both these batsmen bowl as well?

Well I'll be damned. Who would have thought?

Evermind

International Debutant
When you say "currently", do you mean this month (which is impossible as you can see), This fortnight, this week, or do you have in mind a specific hour of the day on a specific day of the week on a specific month . . . . .
:wacko:
Pretty sure he was talking about 30-03-2009, 11:25 AM GMT+8:30hours - time of the first post.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
I voted Gambhir, but in truth its probably still Sachin.

The tide is turning however and in the near future I can see that Gambhir could be more effective. He is a class player who is only going to get better and seems to have a good attitude, which will help him suceed even if he has a poor trot.

:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I voted Gambhir, but in truth its probably still Sachin.

The tide is turning however and in the near future I can see that Gambhir could be more effective. He is a class player who is only going to get better and seems to have a good attitude, which will help him suceed even if he has a poor trot.

:)
One hopes and prays you are right but it is early days yet. There have been other careers that have taken off so well and yet. . . Lets keep our fingers crossed and enjoy the career unfold rather than pronounce greatness on this talented youngster and raise abnormal expectations.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There is a very interesting article in yesterday's DNA regarding Gambhir being India's top scorer in Tests and ODI's put together since September 2007. The article can be seen online here. Unfortunately the accompanying table is missing online. Here it is. . .

Code:
[B]Player    	 Inns	 NO	 50s	 100s	 Runs	 Avg[/B]
G Gambhir	69	7	18	8	3124	50.4
S R Tendulkar	66	7	17	7	3000	50.8
V Sehwag	60	2	16	6	2981	51.4
M S Dhoni	74	15	25	1	2852	48.3
Yuvraj Singh	63	6	13	5	2313	40.6
S C Ganguly	44	3	9	3	1743	42.5
V V S Laxman	36	8	9	3	1469	52.5
R Dravid	48	4	8	2	1315	29.9
S K Raina	27	6	7	2	946	45.0
I K Pathan	32	7	0	1	633	25.3
W Jaffer	17	0	3	1	553	32.5
Interesting stats. The order changes somewhat if you take it in order of averages. . .

Code:
[B]Player    	 Avg[/B]
V V S Laxman	52.5
V Sehwag	51.4
S R Tendulkar	50.8
G Gambhir	50.4
M S Dhoni	48.3
S K Raina	45.0
S C Ganguly	42.5
Yuvraj Singh	40.6
W Jaffer	32.5
R Dravid	29.9
I K Pathan	25.3

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Am I the only one who still thinks Sridharan Sriram would have been an awesome test batsman if he had got the chance in test matches?