• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is currently India's best Test batsman?

Who is currently India's best Test batsman?

• Total voters

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I think if Sachin had scored in SL (disappointing series from him, that's for sure) he'd be #1, but Shiv hasn't had a mare for a long time.

Who would be the 3-5 best test batsmen in the world right now?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I think if Sachin had scored in SL (disappointing series from him, that's for sure) he'd be #1, but Shiv hasn't had a mare for a long time.

Who would be the 3-5 best test batsmen in the world right now?
Don't really know how much weighting to give to their current form in order to answer that question.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Strauss has been better than Pietersen as well. One of the most under-rated batsmen in world cricket Andrew Strauss, well and truely back to his best. Good overall record as well, 31 scores of 50+ in Test Cricket, 17 converted to Hundreds.

Sachin for India. Such an awesome player, to have played for so long and to still be churning out hundreds is a testament to the man. Can't wait to see him bat in the flesh in June! :D

Xuhaib

International Coach
^

Tendulkar
Chanders
Kevin P
Smith
Ponting
Sangakkara
Sehwag

are all up there.
Feel sorry for Younis he is in the form of his career but lack of test cricket is hurting him badly if Pakistan was getting consistent cricket he would easily be in top 5-7.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sachin is not in his mid-late nineties form, but he is slowly getting there it seems. Pretty good in your 20th year of International matches.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Good to see Dasa is still around. Say hi once in a while you douche :p

Sachin's last 3 series (8 tests with one more to go) have resulted in these scores:

10*
103*
DNB

Average of 63.46 with 3 centures and 3 fifties. Probably be a little disappointed in him not kicking on more often (by his standards), but nonetheless, hopefully he can keep up this good form.

Batting like a champion :)

couldn't agree more.. sachin the greatest ever..

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think that an opposition player would spend more time planning for Sehwag than Tendulkar. That doesn't mean that Sehwag is better, but if Sehwag faces 150 balls, then you're going to struggle to win the Test.

R_D

International Debutant
Sachin !!

Been awesome watching him in the past year or so.... been playing like a champion. It must be great for him as well, finally being part of a successful team :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Simple Question.
Its not all that simple you know? I am actually very confused. These Indians seem to have this rotating system. I mean lets take the month of March itself. The best batsman has changed more often than my wife's opinion on whether Siddhu is a pain in the backside or just a bad dream.

As on

• 3rd March 2009 - MS Dhoni
  • 6th March 2009 - Tendulkar
  • 8th March 2009 - Tendulkar
  • 11th March 2009 - Sehwag
  • 14th March 2009 - Rohit Sharma
  • 19th March 2009 - Gambhir
  • 20th March 2009 - Tendulkar
  • 28th March 2009 - Dravid
  • 29th March 2009 - Gambhir
  • 30th March 2009 - Laxman

I mean how do I decide.

Give a clue mate. When you say "currently", do you mean this month (which is impossible as you can see), This fortnight, this week, or do you have in mind a specific hour of the day on a specific day of the week on a specific month . . . . .
:wacko:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sarcastic overload from you there SJS.

It was just an innocent question :)
You are right Jono and my apologies to the poster concerned for it wasn't just aimed at him but the overall trend nowadays. This is our rating system (ICC rating or Maruti Suzuki rating etc) gone berserk.

I think I would not have reacted so strongly had Gambhir's name not been in that list. He is from my home town and I love the kid. He has done a wonderful job but the best batsman in this side ? Already ? Thats a bit too much dont you think. I think with just four names I would have voted instead of writing and no, I may not have automatically voted for Tendulkar, I would have thought hard and really debated between him and Sehwag and then voted for Tendulkar :)

I think we need to leave Gambhir alone and let him find his place. If he is already an equal of the likes of the other four, I dont know if he needs to do anything more to improve his game. Thats not true is it ?

But yes, I was over-sarcastic which I am guilty of at times when trying to stress a point but I need to take care :)

adharcric

International Coach
You are right Jono and my apologies to the poster concerned for it wasn't just aimed at him but the overall trend nowadays. This is our rating system (ICC rating or Maruti Suzuki rating etc) gone berserk.

I think I would not have reacted so strongly had Gambhir's name not been in that list. He is from my home town and I love the kid. He has done a wonderful job but the best batsman in this side ? Already ? Thats a bit too much dont you think. I think with just four names I would have voted instead of writing and no, I may not have automatically voted for Tendulkar, I would have thought hard and really debated between him and Sehwag and then voted for Tendulkar :)

I think we need to leave Gambhir alone and let him find his place. If he is already an equal of the likes of the other four, I dont know if he needs to do anything more to improve his game. Thats not true is it ?

But yes, I was over-sarcastic which I am guilty of at times when trying to stress a point but I need to take care :)
The common consensus here seems to be that Chanderpaul is currently the best test batsman, better than Tendulkar. What do you think? Is Chanderpaul better than Tendulkar? Is Chanderpaul better than Tendulkar right now? If you say "yes" and "no", respectively, just like most in here would, why shouldn't Gambhir be in this poll?

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The common consensus here seems to be that Chanderpaul is currently the best test batsman, better than Tendulkar. What do you think? Is Chanderpaul better than Tendulkar? Is Chanderpaul better than Tendulkar right now? If you say "yes" and "no", respectively, just like most in here would, why shouldn't Gambhir be in this poll?
My answer is No and No to the Sachin-Chanderpaul questions.

Having said that, I think you still did not get what I was saying. :)

adharcric

International Coach
My answer is No and No to the Sachin-Chanderpaul questions.

Having said that, I think you still did not get what I was saying. :)
Maybe not. Why do you disagree with the notion that Chanderpaul > Tendulkar right now? Is it a matter of form vs class or am I totally missing your point?