• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Evermind

International Debutant
Definitely a waste of time, so here's my last post on the topic. My initial "No" was a casual remark - hardly anything changed between then and when I started watching the fourth day's play and decided to go for the avatar challenge - but it's still a "No" and if that's why you're not recognizing this bet, that's fine. Given that you had proposed a bet earlier that day, I assumed that you're still interested and added your name to the list. Didn't realize that my initial post was binding ...

My only issue was you suggesting that I initially said no, watched India increase their chances of a draw throughout the day and then changed my stance at the end of it all. That's rather insulting but I'm over it.

Fine - I'll take your word for it then, that you didn't change anything critical between your initial post and your edit.

Of course the initial post was binding, because we hadn't even agreed on how long the avatar would stand for, and I assumed it was't on. What was insulting to me was the suggestion that I was "backing out" of a bet that I hadn't agreed on at all. But I'm over it too. Moving on...

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Two thirds of this thread is disgraceful and a waste of space. Mods should go through deleting all the dire posts, imo.

Evermind

International Debutant
Yeah.

If India not winning in South Africa and Australia isn't enough to make them good (not great) travellers, then I wonder what South Africa not winning in India does. Unless a draw is good enough?

If a draw is good enough, then India drawing in Australia in 2003-04 must be right?

I think its fair to say that India are the 3rd best travelling team in cricket at the moment. And no Indian fan on this board will argue with that.
Hmm...since 2000, England have won in:

Pakistan
NZ
SA
SL

India have won in

Pakistan
WI
England

Pretty good case for England, IMO. I wouldn't disagree that India are the third best side, but as travellers, they're simply not as good as they should be. Let's see how this NZ series goes, whether they are able to sustain the pressure, hopefully on what will be a greentop.

Evermind

International Debutant
These innings by Laxman and Gambhir should be convincing arguments against the claim that centuries in draws don't count. India would've definitely lost the match if not Gambhir's 11 hours at the crease.

Evermind

International Debutant
woah.. I was online around that time and I KNOW he had done the edits soon after... If you are not willing to take up this loss on the chin then leave it. I don't think anyone here expected anything better from you than to chicken out of this... But cut out the name calling on adharcric. He is a respected enough poster and certainly not the sort who will stoop to the levels you mention just to win an avatar bet...

Go **** yourself, honestly. Both he and I have agreed to let it end, so I don't know why you're stirring **** up again. If you had half a brain and had read the posts concerning the bet, you'd know that I hadn't lost the bet at all.

It's retards like you that give Indian fans a bad name, in all fairness.

biased indian

International Coach
Go **** yourself, honestly. Both he and I have agreed to let it end, so I don't know why you're stirring **** up again. If you had half a brain and had read the posts concerning the bet, you'd know that I hadn't lost the bet at all.

i thought you had moved on :ph34r:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

I didn't see that the matter was settled... I was replying to the post as I saw it. Apologies...

Craig

World Traveller
Clearly we here at CW know something about cricket.. as all the discussed topics were brought up on Cricinfo chat:

Pitch too flat?

Sambit Bal: I don’t understand this. Why shouldn’t New Zealand make pitches that suit whatever strengths they have. Yes, they might lose to this Indian side on seaming wickets. It’s fact that this is a much better Indian team than the one that came to New Zealand the last time. But that will be their only chance of competing with India. They just don’t have the bowlers to get India out on flat pitches. Cricket administrators have an unhealthy obsession these days about making matches last five days. Television pays for cricket and TV bosses want every commercial break they can get. But if it starts in the way of producing interesting cricket, it would be self-defeating. Such cricket will only turn people away from Tests. There have been too many pitches like this in the last couple of months. It’s killing Test cricket.

Mistake to enforce the follow-on?

Rajesh: It's easy to say that in hindsight - Vettori should have rested his bowlers for a couple of sessions, the set India a target of around 500. But the way this pitch behaved, it's difficult to see the Indian batsmen collapsing anyway. And Vettori would have expected at least some more assistance from the pitch on the final day. In the end, the pitch was just too flat for New Zealand to dismiss this Indian line-up twice

Sehwag's innings - bad or just playing his natural game?

Sambit Bal: I wrote about Sehwag's approach after the first innings. I have no problem with him trying to play his natural game. But I agree with Dravid that Test players need to adapt to the situation. Of course, as long as Sehwag stays at the wicket, runs will come. But both his shots in this Test were ill-chosen. Those two balls didn't deserve the strokes he attempted. He is an enormously gifted player, but this Test would have taught him something. If he learns from it, he will be a better player.
9:49

Yuvraj - **** and should be dropped, or needs more time?

Okay, here's another question about another Indian batsmen and his approach ...Kamala Kannan has some harsh words for Yuvraj. He says that Yuvraj has to find some form for Tests. He is not suited for this format ..Jamie/Rajesh what do you think?

Rajesh: I'd give Yuvraj some more time... remember he got a couple of half-centuries against England in the previous series. And this half-century, while not entirely convincing, might yet do him lots of good for the next Test. It reminds me of what Dravid went through in Australia in the 2003-04 series. He started with a duck, and there were plenty of questions about his form. Then, in the second innings of that match in Brisbane, he got an unbeaten 40-odd in a match heading for a draw. Not many thought much about that knock, but it was a fluent innings and it set him up for what turned out to be a prolific series. Hopefully Yuvraj can turn in similar performances in the next match. At least he has spent some time in the middle, and that can't be a bad thing

Jamie: Its not that Yuvraj isnt suited. He's a good player, but will never be a great Test player. His basic set-up allows him to score runs on tracks like this, but when there's a bit of nip around or its overcast, even an average exponent of swing will fancy his chances against Yuvraj. He's hardly been a fixture in the side for a few months and deserves more time.
My take on all of the aforementioned topics:

Pitch too flat?

Absolutely. As great as it was for us to score 9/619 and three batsmen get centuries, you had to think that this was going to favour India at some point and to bowl them out twice, was going to be a tall order. Plus there is nothing wrong in having a wicket which will suit good bowlers and good batsmen.

Mistake to enforce the follow-on?

No. At the time New Zealand had just bowled India out with a 305 run lead and with over two days of cricket left, Vettori would of felt confident enough to back his bowlers to pick up another ten wickets. On another day they might have. If you can't back your bowlers with such a lead, when will you? You make a call like that, you live by it, for better or for worse.

Sehwag's innings - bad or just playing his natural game?

Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. If you expect him to bat like Gambhir did, wake up, your dreaming, he has never been and never will be that sort of batsman. So yes he is better off playing his natural game, but agreed there are times restraint is needed. I didn't see the shot that he played that got him out, so I can't comment on that.

Yuvraj - **** and should be dropped, or needs more time?

You have picked him ahead of other proven Indian FC batsmen so for mine you have taken a punt and you should keep him for the final Test. And I can't help but think ODI form has played a big part in his selection, however much I disagree with the idea that awesome in ODIs = awesome in Tests. It doesn't quite work like that. For some it does, but IMO he is better off in ODIs and T20. But as I have said, the selectors have taken a punt and risked their reputation on the line for Yuvraj, so he should play in Wellington and have him be told that his chances won't last forever and that there are many more batsmen in India who want his spot.