• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree.. It should be Bravo, Pollard and Sammy replacing Nikita... that would be better and bring in a decent batsman.. say Nash.. :blink:
Not at all convinced by Nash in ODI cricket. He's never been anything worthwhile in limited overs cricket at domestic level, let alone international level. I also think Nikita Miller is a decent bowler, and would certainly prefer him to Benn. That said, Dave Mohammed is the best limited overs spinner in the region. I know this is starting to sound like Trinidadian bias :p, but I think stats would support it. He's gone missing lately though.

In terms of batsmen outside the team, I rate Dale Richards, but only if he's opening the batting. As for the incumbent Lendl Simmons, he reminds me of Runako Morton at the moment- sticks around and clogs up the wicket.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Baker's done pretty well in ODIs so far.
Statistically, yes, but he was quite poor in 3 of his 7 bowling matches so far. The one time that I've been genuinely impressed was against New Zealand when he bowled 10 overs for not many. The Kiwis were scoring against practically everyone else, but he stood firm. Other than that, his outstanding bowling has tended to come when batsmen were under pressure or struggling.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Not at all convinced by Nash in ODI cricket. He's never been anything worthwhile in limited overs cricket at domestic level, let alone international level. I also think Nikita Miller is a decent bowler, and would certainly prefer him to Benn. That said, Dave Mohammed is the best limited overs spinner in the region. I know this is starting to sound like Trinidadian bias :p, but I think stats would support it. He's gone missing lately though.

In terms of batsmen outside the team, I rate Dale Richards, but only if he's opening the batting. As for the incumbent Lendl Simmons, he reminds me of Runako Morton at the moment- sticks around and clogs up the wicket.
No trinidadian bais at all, Dave has it in him to be one of it not the top ODI spinner in the world

Mr Mxyzptlk

Windies are one batsman short though.. Gayle, Sars, Shiv, Simmons need another one.. Maybe Nash?? he is slow but could be valuable...
Why is Simmons any safer than Pollard? And why not mention Bravo? He's a vastly superior international batsman.

Nash is slow and doesn't make scores. He's not the useful slow and steady type. Just slow.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Statistically, yes, but he was quite poor in 3 of his 7 bowling matches so far. The one time that I've been genuinely impressed was against New Zealand when he bowled 10 overs for not many. The Kiwis were scoring against practically everyone else, but he stood firm. Other than that, his outstanding bowling has tended to come when batsmen were under pressure or struggling.
Have to say though that he's always looked at least decent when bowling in ODIs. Maybe in some matches he's not been penetrative enough but would have no problems with him continuing in the team.

Pretty nice to have some good bowling competition for ODIs though with Taylor, Rampaul, Edwards, Baker, Sammy, Miller, Benn, and Mohammed and Powell.

Mohammed if he can start playing for T&T again and Powell who's one of our better bowlers in this form somehow gets back a bit of confidence and doesn't play Tests again to dent his confidence. If he sticks to ODIs his performances in the format could get better and he wouldn't have to worry about being carted in Tests.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Have to say though that he's always looked at least decent when bowling in ODIs. Maybe in some matches he's not been penetrative enough but would have no problems with him continuing in the team.
The way I see it, if you're as unpenetrative as Baker tends to be, you have to be going at less than 4.20 per over, almost unerringly. Baker's wickets are typically poor shots or attempted slogs and he's no Cameron Cuffy.
Pretty nice to have some good bowling competition for ODIs though with Taylor, Rampaul, Edwards, Baker, Sammy, Miller, Benn, and Mohammed and Powell.
I break that bunch down as:

Taylor = sure selection. Clearly the best of the bunch, when fully fit.
Edwards = in the absence of Taylor, a sure selection. The only other genuine wicket-taking threat.
Rampaul = a big talent starting to rediscover his feet. Impressive at times in ODIs and in top for. We'll see how he goes, but hopefully he goes to England.
Sammy = a good, intelligent ODI bowler. Still a poor man's Bravo in many regards, but less ambitious and thus less likely to go for runs, trying to make something happen.
Miller = clever, if limited, spin bowler. Not afraid to attack the batsman, which is a plus.
Benn = average spin bowler who could be much better if he used his height better. As things stand he's far from an international bowler unless the pitch offers a fair deal of help.
Mohammed = best OD spinner in the region, but gone missing.
Powell = sure his days are over. He wasn't bowled on the final day of the Test series when everyone else was, and he was utterly rubbish in the first ODI.

Powell has produced some quality ODI performances in the past, but he's been quite substandard more often than not. It's infuriating, because he's quite passionate and has ability to bowl stunning deliveries (ask Strauss) but is a very poor bowler at the end of the day.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not at all convinced by Nash in ODI cricket. He's never been anything worthwhile in limited overs cricket at domestic level, let alone international level.
TBF to Nash his little dobbers were fairly economical in the Windies domestic limited overs comp, weren't they? Obv beside the point WRT his batting, but reckon he could be an effective opener the others play round.

gvenkat

State Captain
TBF to Nash his little dobbers were fairly economical in the Windies domestic limited overs comp, weren't they? Obv beside the point WRT his batting, but reckon he could be an effective opener the others play round.
yes that was my thought exactly.. he could be the perfect compliment for Chris Gayle... But he needs to play a little bit more attacking... he is too dour...

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
The way I see it, if you're as unpenetrative as Baker tends to be, you have to be going at less than 4.20 per over, almost unerringly. Baker's wickets are typically poor shots or attempted slogs and he's no Cameron Cuffy.

I break that bunch down as:

Taylor = sure selection. Clearly the best of the bunch, when fully fit.
Edwards = in the absence of Taylor, a sure selection. The only other genuine wicket-taking threat.
Rampaul = a big talent starting to rediscover his feet. Impressive at times in ODIs and in top for. We'll see how he goes, but hopefully he goes to England.
Sammy = a good, intelligent ODI bowler. Still a poor man's Bravo in many regards, but less ambitious and thus less likely to go for runs, trying to make something happen.
Miller = clever, if limited, spin bowler. Not afraid to attack the batsman, which is a plus.
Benn = average spin bowler who could be much better if he used his height better. As things stand he's far from an international bowler unless the pitch offers a fair deal of help.
Mohammed = best OD spinner in the region, but gone missing.
Powell = sure his days are over. He wasn't bowled on the final day of the Test series when everyone else was, and he was utterly rubbish in the first ODI.

Powell has produced some quality ODI performances in the past, but he's been quite substandard more often than not. It's infuriating, because he's quite passionate and has ability to bowl stunning deliveries (ask Strauss) but is a very poor bowler at the end of the day.
Maybe him focusing on just the one format could improve that?

Agree that Benn needs to use his height more. He doesn't get a lot of spin so he should try for some more bounce.

Neil Pickup

It's stopped raining and the Umpires are taking a look but D/L is sure to come into play here. My copy of the software is out of date now but it's still not too far out so should give a good indicator of what's to be expected:

50 overs = 240 to win (4.80)
45 overs = 227 to win (5.04)
40 overs = 213 to win (5.33)
35 overs = 197 to win (5.63)
30 overs = 179 to win (5.97)
25 overs = 158 to win (6.32)
20 overs = 135 to win (6.75)

NB: John Dyson, do not use these figures. Wait for the real ones.

gvenkat

State Captain
It's stopped raining and the Umpires are taking a look but D/L is sure to come into play here. My copy of the software is out of date now but it's still not too far out so should give a good indicator of what's to be expected:

50 overs = 240 to win (4.80)
45 overs = 227 to win (5.04)
40 overs = 213 to win (5.33)
35 overs = 197 to win (5.63)
30 overs = 179 to win (5.97)
25 overs = 158 to win (6.32)
20 overs = 135 to win (6.75)

NB: John Dyson, do not use these figures. Wait for the real ones.
England could struggle here... my guess is it's going to be around 35-40 overs.. More than Dyson Chris Gayle should have a sheet and Andy Flower and Co.. should not do a Dyson... :laugh::laugh:

Neil Pickup

Well, according to Cricinfo the cut-off time is 4:30pm local (currently 3:19pm local).

That seems rather weird as the finish time is scheduled for 5:15pm local. I would imagine no play possible after 6:30pm local, meaning we would need to start 20 overs at 5:00pm local.

Buggered if I know what that means for the overs.

EDIT - clarification is we must start by 4.30pm local time if we are to get 20 overs in.

It looks like we will get underway in about 20 minutes, which will give us another 45 minutes of play. That gives us another (45/80)*20 = 11 overs... so the Pickup Prediction for the runchase is 183 off 31 overs.

EDIT 2 - Sky tell me they are aiming for a 3.50pm restart: therefore 179 off 30 overs.

Isn't maths fun?

Last edited: