• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Barath had a good start to this domestic season, but has tapered off a bit....

Apparently, there's a chink in his armour - short-pitched bowling - and he's been peppered with it. He averages about 47 this season so far. I think he should be averaging 50 or over to get into the team.

Also, he's more of a Test player than an ODI player, IMHO. I still think he's a good prospect for the future, maybe even the tour of England....

As for Taylor, I don't expect to see him play in any of the ODIs....

He'll probably rest with a view to getting fit for the tour of England - and the IPL, of course!
:)
Don't get me wrong - I really think Barath is a WI player in the making. NOt now, though....

These are the domestic batting averages this season so far:

Cricinfo - Records - Regional Four Day Competition, 2008/09 - Most runs

Narsing Deonarine, Floyd Reifer, Dwayne Smith and Ryan HInds have all made more runs than Barath this season, and all four average over 50. But are they all better players than Barath? I don't think so. But I do think Barath will benefit from a little more time in first-class cricket before being blooded at international level....

In addition, Lendl Simmons, Dale Richards and Darren Bravo have played less matches than Barath, for one reason or another, but all three also average over 50 this season so far. I also think the younger Bravo needs to play some more first class cricket.

However, Simmons and Richards have enough first-class experience to have a run of sorts at international level, IMHO....
Agree with most of this.
Give me a young player who is good versus the short ball these days... Still a bit unusual for a Windies player to be weak off the back foot, sign of the times perhaps.

Well in an ideal world he would have to average at least 50 to get into the test side, but there ain't too much competition in WI cricket right now, he certainly averages more than his competitors.
Look at the stats first eh?

shivfan

Banned
I meant career averages.
Yeah, I think that shows what potential this young man has....

However, I think he needs to take a domestic season by the scruff of the neck to force the selectors to sit up and take notice. Unfortunately, he hasn't done that this season.

I'm scared of throwing him in too early in his career, and wrecking it as a result, the way the selectors shattered the confidence of a young Xavier Marshall the first time around. I think Barath needs to be eased into the side, hopefully for a home series.

Or maybe he could accompany the side to England, and take part in the three warm-up matches, to get experience of English conditions. I would like to see the selectors giving Barath an education, the way the English selectors are treating Adil Rashid.

pskov

International 12th Man
If I was the WICB I'd take him along for the England tour as a second batting backup who won't play in the tests unless there is an injury crisis, then help him find a spot in league cricket where he could play as an overseas professional for a year. I think a season in the Lancashire League or similar could do him the world of good.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If I was the WICB I'd take him along for the England tour as a second batting backup who won't play in the tests unless there is an injury crisis, then help him find a spot in league cricket where he could play as an overseas professional for a year. I think a season in the Lancashire League or similar could do him the world of good.
TBH, Im not sure that is a good gig for him or if it would be a good signing for a Lanacahire League team.

Pros carry a heavy burden and Barath is still a kid. Also West Indians are out of fashion and bigger, more experienced names are available.

Unless WICB pay his wages, I think he would have to look below the Lancs League level.

I could be wrong though. I dont know if he has summered in England previously.

ozone

First Class Debutant
From an English PoV, who gets dropped for big Fred for the next ODI then? Harmison for my sixpence, might leave us with a **** load of batting, but thats never a bad thing. Would also drop Prior, ATM, he is hopefully not going to be batting at a stage when he needs to score significant runs (i.e. only coming in to smack it about at the end), so surely it would be better to pick the better keeper?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
From an English PoV, who gets dropped for big Fred for the next ODI then? Harmison for my sixpence, might leave us with a **** load of batting, but thats never a bad thing. Would also drop Prior, ATM, he is hopefully not going to be batting at a stage when he needs to score significant runs (i.e. only coming in to smack it about at the end), so surely it would be better to pick the better keeper?
Davies is a better OD batsman in any case. Not really any noise coming out of the England camp regarding a change of wicketkeeper though so we may be disappointed.

Anyway, rumours are that it might be Anderson to make way for Flintoff...

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Davies is a better OD batsman in any case. Not really any noise coming out of the England camp regarding a change of wicketkeeper though so we may be disappointed.

Anyway, rumours are that it might be Anderson to make way for Flintoff...
You have to be taking the piss, surely?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
May as well get rid of Batty. Can't field or bat and his bowling is less effective than a part-timer. If England go seamer heavy then at least they might not overbowl Flintoff.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I get the feeling that Anderson could take 20 wickets in a Test/10 in an ODI and his name would still be first when discussing who to drop.

FBU

International Debutant
I get the feeling that Anderson could take 20 wickets in a Test/10 in an ODI and his name would still be first when discussing who to drop.
:)

Well he is the leading wicket taker so far 5 wickets at 15.20 econ 4.47 s/r 20.4.

In the summer against SA we had Anderson, Broad, Harmison, Flintoff and Patel.

tooextracool

International Coach
What is the deal with Narsingh Deonarine? I cannot honestly see how some of the players who have gotten selected off late are better players than him and yet he cant quite get a decent gig with the WI side. I was fairly impressed from the little I saw off him in SL but its been 3 years since and he hasnt played another test

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Because he wasn't doing too hot in FC if I remember correctly plus considering why he was selected....Has come back into contention this season though and might be up for a recall soon.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
May as well get rid of Batty. Can't field or bat and his bowling is less effective than a part-timer. If England go seamer heavy then at least they might not overbowl Flintoff.
God, yes, Scaly.

I have never been convinced that Batty deserves a place in Castle Donington Town 2nd XI, let alone an England team.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
God, yes, Scaly.

I have never been convinced that Batty deserves a place in Castle Donington Town 2nd XI, let alone an England team.
I remember being at a reception for the England team. Some were very good at mixing (Giles), some were popular (Flintoff), some were shy (Harmison), some were rude and aloof (Key) and poor old Batty and Foster were virtually ignored and on their own.

I thought Id make the effort and went to chat. I asked Batty "So are you one of the offspinning Battys from Castleford", "No, Bradford"

Kind of killed the conversation (and reflects on his talents) that he wasnt the first Yorkshire born offspinner called Batty that came into my mind. :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You can all carry on mocking Batty! But the guy has done Worcestershire proud! :@

Wisden - 2008 - The County Cricketer's Year: Gareth Batty nice little read too.
Stopped reading after the first few lines

Gareth Batty is as spry as a rabbit, bright eyes glancing about, absorbing everything. He has a round face with fair eyebrows and a small, pointy chin. His hair, auburny in spring, is blond by the end of even a wet summer

To be polite, its a little overdone.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Stopped reading after the first few lines

Gareth Batty is as spry as a rabbit, bright eyes glancing about, absorbing everything. He has a round face with fair eyebrows and a small, pointy chin. His hair, auburny in spring, is blond by the end of even a wet summer

To be polite, its a little overdone.
:laugh: