• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
During my recent visit to UK (end Feb) I bought a Sunday paper. The Sports Section had 20 pages, 8 devoted to soccer, eight to rugby, 2 to cricket and 2 to all other sports.

I would suppose being a cricket journalist in UK is getting to be frustrating as well as a bit insecure (jobwise). No ?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
For a start Liverpool isn't northern.
**** off. The only un-northern thing about Liverpool is those stupid ****ing accents.

During my recent visit to UK (end Feb) I bought a Sunday paper. The Sports Section had 20 pages, 8 devoted to soccer, eight to rugby, 2 to cricket and 2 to all other sports.
Would much appreciate it if you said rugby union, rather than just rugby. Never seen a whole page in a national paper devoted to league in my whole life.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

I would suppose being a cricket journalist in UK is getting to be frustrating as well as a bit insecure (jobwise). No ?
No surprise considering it is the football and rugby season. Two pages are pretty good for February. Expect the pages to double or even treble (if England does well) once the Ashes begins.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Shah basically a londoner though.

Anyway, was picking people off our current ODI squad, and only found four people I'd consider 'southerners' - Strauss, Shah, Prior and Bopara. Six northerners (plus one withdrawn), three from the midlands (plus two withdrawn) and three brought up abroad. So I don't really see this huge bias for southern players.
England best cricketer in eons is from the South (Africa).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
England have been picking Yorkshireman and Lancastrians in a disproportionate level to their population for decades.
But arguably less than the players deserved.

I still get angry that John Childs of Essex played Test cricket but Phil Carrick didnt.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Didn't you even consider that maybe - just maybe - the reason you think the whole world has an anti-Northern-England bias is because you actually have a pro-Northern-England bias, and not because of some absolutely massive chain reaction?
I don't think Harmison gets dropped because he's from the north, but Scaly is right that the south is generally preferred by the media. Some journalists don't realsie that England expands outside of just London.

For a start Liverpool isn't northern.

And Liverpool players get incredibly positive press because there's a load of ex-Liverpool players working at the BBC.

McClaren was savaged by the press from day one.
**** off. The only un-northern thing about Liverpool is those stupid ****ing accents.
It clearly is northern Scaly, what are you on?

And steds, really, you're not in a position to talk about stupid accents, pipe down hey ;)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The problem, as usual, is people do not have a clue when it comes to perceiving his performances. He's been okay in WI, nothing special but then nobody would be in the circumstances. Instead we have haters bitching about how rubbish he's been because of the inbuilt bias kicking in. The media hate pretty much everyone from up north so they negatively report everything, then people like you jump on the bandwagon. Everything he does is downgraded, every time his pace drops a little or he bowls a wide delivery or bad over it's jumped on.
So he pretty much gets the same treatment from the media as Monty gets from you then ?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sheffield isn't a proper northern town/city no. Close but not quite.

A lot of people up here wouldn't even consider Hull a northern town/city.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anywhere that's level with Wales is not northern. End of story.
On what exactly are you basing this?

I actually agree with your general principle RE Southern bias, but as Goughy said you seem to make it hard to agree with you. Merseyside, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Greater Manchester etc are all clearly in the north of England. If you were talking about the island of GB as a whole then you might have a point, but in terms of England, Liverpool is clearly in the north, where Wales is situated is irrelevant.

Steulen

International Regular
Sheffield isn't a proper northern town/city no. Close but not quite.

A lot of people up here wouldn't even consider Hull a northern town/city.
You remind me of that guy who sat on the North Pole and called everyone a Southern Pansy.

Good Omens it was, what a book.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So basically to be northern you have to live on the Scottish border :laugh:

Hey Scaly, did you know that it wasn't for you and the folk of Northumberland & County Durham todecide where the north is, it's more a matter of geography