• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Flem274*

123/5
Okay. :)

But very few bowlers bowl so fast as to not be able to swing at least at the very end of the flight of the ball (which is why they need to pitch up to make it swing) and if it does, they can be lethal like Waqar at his fastest was.

You need to get your grip and action right of course.
Yeah action would be pretty important. Not sure where I heard that (probably TV). Thought it seemed logical (ball goes faster=less time for ball to swing big) so tested the water without risking looking stupid (Shut up Athlai).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah action would be pretty important. Not sure where I heard that (probably TV). Thought it seemed logical (ball goes faster=less time for ball to swing big) so tested the water without risking looking stupid (Shut up Athlai).
Although its a long one, you might want to read up on the pages I scanned and posted from Bradman's Art of Cricket on how and why the cricket ball swings.

Nutter

U19 Debutant
isn't there some theory that the slower you bowl the more time the ball has to swing, hence really quick bowlers are really dangerous because the ball swings late?
That would make sense, the longer the ball is in the air, the more it will be affected by air friction. Bowl full and it will swing more. Bowl slower and it will swing more. Bowl fast and it will swing less, but late, when it starts to lose velocity. Bowl too slow and there won't be enough air friction to change the directional velocity of the ball.

Athlai

Not Terrible
A Massey Student looking stupid?

Never would I believe such a thing to be true!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So it looks like Flynn's out and How's in. I'm kind of ambivalent about this. I think Flynn is definately a better (or at least more disciplined) batsman than How, and our top 3 looks much more fragile without him. At the same time I think How is a considerably better batsman than McIntosh, and an exhibition of that in a match may speed up Timmy Mac's withdrawal from test cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Who'd have thought a year ago that New Zealand would actually be selecting three openers in one game?!

But yeah, hopefully How gets a few so we can see the end of McIntosh. I really do think McIntosh deserves a longer run than what he's probably going to get, but in saying that I don't think he should have been picked in the first place.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
What does everyone have against McIntosh ? He deserves to be given a go in the side and has a better FC record than most of the other openers going around.

Polo23

International Debutant
What does everyone have against McIntosh ? He deserves to be given a go in the side and has a better FC record than most of the other openers going around.
His terrible technique probably. Yes he deserves a go, but I think people know he will fail and will be replaced in the near future.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think a lot of people think of Martin as being our #1 because he's been in the side and around for so long that he must be the best, when really he's a pretty darn good workhorse who has managed to stay relatively free of injury, while the rest of the attack chops and changes due to form or injury (and perhaps even ICL bans).

In Mills first 4 Tests he was fairly ordinary taking just 3 wickets. He was dropped IIRC, then recalled in 2006 against the West Indies and between then and now he has taken 41 wickets @ 28.78, including the 2.33 series he's been out of form in (Bang, WI and current Indian).

Certainly in my mind he was our best bowler in the period between West Indies in 2006 and England in England last year.

O'Brien has taken over now though, no question.
You have a fair point. I never would have thought Mills' average during that period (or any other) was as low as 22, so that's pretty impressive.

In saying that, Mills played 10 matches in that period to Martin's 17, so whether you could call Mills the #1 bowler I'm not sure. Can't remember why Mills missed those games - whether was injury or not selected. Also noticed that Martin took a hammering in the games that Mills didn't play, so they were probably fairly difficuly wickets/opposition. If you look at only the games that both of them played Martin averages about 28.

Anyway, fairly moot point - would be nice if Mills could regain some of that form though.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So it looks like Flynn's out and How's in. I'm kind of ambivalent about this. I think Flynn is definately a better (or at least more disciplined) batsman than How, and our top 3 looks much more fragile without him. At the same time I think How is a considerably better batsman than McIntosh, and an exhibition of that in a match may speed up Timmy Mac's withdrawal from test cricket.
AWTA

Only thing I would add is it should say "our top 3 looks much more way way far far more fragile without him (Flynn) and so does the rest of our top 6, because when our number 3 gets out early we end up 61/6".

thierry henry

International Coach
Mills would be a lot better if he could maintain his accuracy while bowling at somewhere near O'Brien's pace, rather than the high 120's to low 130's. He bowls a lot of good balls that batsmen have too much time to react to.
Mills, O'Brien, Franklin and Martin all bowled at a pretty similar pace in the Hamilton test.

There seems to be this obsession with saying that Mills is not a test bowler because he is somehow too slow. Truth is, Mills bowled a number of balls in the Hamilton test between 135kph and 138kph. His max was either 138kph or 139kph, I forget which.

Funnily enough it's actually about the fastest I've ever seen him bowl in a test, apparently when his rhythm is shot....

Nutter

U19 Debutant
There seems to be this obsession with saying that Mills is not a test bowler because he is somehow too slow. Truth is, Mills bowled a number of balls in the Hamilton test between 135kph and 138kph. His max was either 138kph or 139kph, I forget which.
Mills reminds me of a right arm version of Vaas. I noticed he put on about 3-5kph above his usual during the last ODI, which was impressive. He is already easily our most accurate and consistent bowler (in ODIs anyway, barring Vettori), and I really do think he is infinitely more dangerous with a touch more pace. If he could develop an inswinging delivery, then that would be even better.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Okay. :)

But very few bowlers bowl so fast as to not be able to swing at least at the very end of the flight of the ball (which is why they need to pitch up to make it swing) and if it does, they can be lethal like Waqar at his fastest was.

You need to get your grip and action right of course.
waqar younis is overrated,Before his stress fracture many would have you believe he was
the fastest bowler in the world and got late swing while the truth is he only got late
reverse swing and His stats against good teams is average.

funnygirl

State Regular
waqar younis is overrated,Before his stress fracture many would have you believe he was
the fastest bowler in the world and got late swing while the truth is he only got late
reverse swing and His stats against good teams is average.
Have u actually seen him in that period or just putting opinion as facts ? Because some of us are old enough and have actually seen waqar in that period :)