• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
WTF, came home and checked stuff expecting some wholesale changes, but NO!!!

Kyle Mills is an abysmal test match bowler and his just living on his half ass ODI bowling which should never come into the question. Tim Southee I believe can be a little wayward at times but he still has the ability to get good batsmen out to good balls so I think he should be there if they want a 3rd genuine seamer. Jeetan Patel must play in Napier and his five-for last week should have him in good stead. Martin, O Brien, Vettori and Patel are our four best bowlers and if the top 6 do their job which you have to rely on then a long-ish tail shouldnt matter. In fact I have huge faith in Jeetan Patels batting he looks techniquely sound for tailender, very capable of holding up and end for a higher batsman. I think we pretty much all know that Tim McIntosh is not going to succeed at this level against any decent attach like India's. Sharma and Khan must like their lips when they see him strolling out to bat. This is all said when one man by the name of Jamie How is sitting in his Palmy living room is dismay that he isnt out there. He scores 190 against England A and backs that up with a first class century and we all know that he has the goods to succeed or at least be capable on the world stage, come on Glenn Turner what are you doing. James Franklin is NOT a number 6 but instead a handy number 8, if his bowling is not at full tilt then he shouldnt be in this side, scoring runs domestically is a lot different to this Indian attack.

Kiwi fans just take a look at the side that could take the field in Napier

Guptill
How
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Patel
O Brien
Martin

99*

International Debutant
Kiwi fans just take a look at the side that could take the field in Napier

Guptill
How
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Patel
O Brien
Martin
Swap Oram for Franklin and put him below McCullum, make him an opening bowler. IMO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Swap Oram for Franklin and put him below McCullum, make him an opening bowler. IMO.
AWTA strengthens the attack a lot.

Apparently we are going to have a very interesting pitch in Napier. Half of the original one and half of a new one. Due to fungus growth.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Some fantastic overreactions towards Mills in this thread. Suddenly he is completely rubbish, when not a long time ago he was our Number 1 Test seamer. He's in a bad run of form, but we all know (well those that are sane) that in good form Mills can be effective and dangerous.

So when people say things like this...

S.P. Fleming said:
Kyle Mills is an abysmal test match bowler and his just living on his half ass ODI bowling which should never come into the question.
...I die a little bit more on the inside.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
Ive personally never rated Mills as a test match option. Occassionally he is effective with the new ball but that is a rareity. He bowls to many four balls for my liking and gets most of his ODI wickets through batsmen errors which are not as common in tests. As a one day bowler he is good because he can bowl a new ball spell and a death spell which both suit him but when it comes to digging in with an old ball with not much to offer for the bowlers, he is just to unpenetrative for mine.

Evermind

International Debutant
I don't think green pitches are gonna help NZ because India's bowling is a lot stronger now than it used to be.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
i see some new zealand supporters here want greentops-i say bring it on.If we lose then its fair enough and we will know we have quite a long way to go before we become a good test touring side.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I don't think green pitches are gonna help NZ because India's bowling is a lot stronger now than it used to be.
In a greentop situation Tendulkar and Dravid give India a big edge in the batting department and now they have better seamers than NZ too. It might make the contest closer but India will still be big favourites. Can't wait for the test to start.

There seems to be a lot of support for Jeetan Patel but remember this is India he'll be bowling against in conditions that don't offer much turn, I'd expect the Indian batsmen to really target him, especially if it's nipping around.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed. They couldn't make 300 plus on decent batting wickets, so I'm not sure why they want a greentop. Worked when you had the best bowler on show (Bond) and a decent to good top order (Flem, Richardson...) but that is no longer the case.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Uh how many times did the bowlers get us out?

Guys like Taylor and Ryder have all the talent needed to play on the most difficult of pitches yet their mental game is usually what gets them out. The difficult conditions in Australia made Taylor a much better batsman as he had to have his mind on the game at every moment and he looked up to it. Ryder on the otherhand didn't even seem bothered and only got out when he was playing too aggressively in intensely difficult conditions. Flynn to is able to grind out on hard wickets and work partnerships.

The reason we can't score big on flat wickets is because we lack patience, we have the ability. On difficult wickets we have the chance to thrive.

We will never beat India on a flat wicket.

On a difficult one it reduces the difference between the teams much much more. As if Ryder, Guptill, Taylor or Flynn have a good day and score a 100 and see us to 300 we may well even see a first innings lead against the mighty Indian batting lineup.

Our bowlers are also more used to New Zealands green conditions, O'Brien and Martin would absolutely kill, and hopefully Franklin would too with the new ball.

One of our greatest assets would be Sharma's inexperience in what could be conditions perfectly suited for him. By the time he begins to come to terms with the pitch the new ball may have aged and we could have fought out of danger. While Zaheer and Munaf I expect to do as well as the very best New Zealand pacers in our conditions domestically.

I'm pretty sure we'll see this kind of situation occur in Wellington, and I have hopes of it for Napier too now.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Uh how many times did the bowlers get us out?

Guys like Taylor and Ryder have all the talent needed to play on the most difficult of pitches yet their mental game is usually what gets them out. The difficult conditions in Australia made Taylor a much better batsman as he had to have his mind on the game at every moment and he looked up to it. Ryder on the otherhand didn't even seem bothered and only got out when he was playing too aggressively in intensely difficult conditions. Flynn to is able to grind out on hard wickets and work partnerships.

The reason we can't score big on flat wickets is because we lack patience, we have the ability. On difficult wickets we have the chance to thrive.

We will never beat India on a flat wicket.

On a difficult one it reduces the difference between the teams much much more. As if Ryder, Guptill, Taylor or Flynn have a good day and score a 100 and see us to 300 we may well even see a first innings lead against the mighty Indian batting lineup.

Our bowlers are also more used to New Zealands green conditions, O'Brien and Martin would absolutely kill, and hopefully Franklin would too with the new ball.

One of our greatest assets would be Sharma's inexperience in what could be conditions perfectly suited for him. By the time he begins to come to terms with the pitch the new ball may have aged and we could have fought out of danger. While Zaheer and Munaf I expect to do as well as the very best New Zealand pacers in our conditions domestically.

I'm pretty sure we'll see this kind of situation occur in Wellington, and I have hopes of it for Napier too now.
20 times.:ph34r:

Athlai, India is a far more streetwise team then when they last toured. Sure they can be exposed on wickets with a bit of life, only happened just recently against South Africa but I’ll still take them on a wicket with life then the New Zealanders, especially considering the current attack New Zealand is fielding and they still have problems with their top order, opener and the sides composition.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Its been a long time since I saw a test match on a green wicket that assists swing bowling. So what if India lose? We would get an exciting exhibition of swing bowling in test cricket.

Athlai

Not Terrible
20 times.:ph34r:

Athlai, India is a far more streetwise team then when they last toured. Sure they can be exposed on wickets with a bit of life, only happened just recently against South Africa but I’ll still take them on a wicket with life then the New Zealanders, especially considering the current attack New Zealand is fielding and they still have problems with their top order, opener and the sides composition.
I still think India will be the better team on the green deck, but I also think we have our best chance of winning on that same deck.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Players I expect to fail on a green pitch:

Yuvraj Singh
Sehwag
Gambhir (If he does'nt stop poking at balls that are in the off-stump line)
Sachin (If Simon Taufel is not the umpire)

The most like ly to fail in that list is Yuvraj Singh. Just not a test class player.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the Kiwis shud take the chance.. At the moment, it is 50-50 on a green top for them but on a flat track, it is looking more like 90-10 India.. So better chance a green top, IMHO... They may still win.. The Indian boys have got talent but I am not sure if they have the ticker to guts it out on such tracks.. Sachin, Dravid and Laxman are the 3 I will hope on and I don't think Rahul is in good enough form and Laxman neither.. so it could be a very good thing for NZ...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Players I expect to fail on a green pitch:

Yuvraj Singh
Sehwag
Gambhir (If he does'nt stop poking at balls that are in the off-stump line)
Sachin (If Simon Taufel is not the umpire)

The most like ly to fail in that list is Yuvraj Singh. Just not a test class player.
Would love to know how Laxman has a better chance of scoring on a green top than Sachin (and I'm a massive VVS fan).

Evermind

International Debutant
I still think India will be the better team on the green deck, but I also think we have our best chance of winning on that same deck.
I actually think otherwise. I think a perfectly good deck will even out the odds.

Shane Bond during the last tour took 12 wickets in 2 games at 16.33. They don't have him anymore. Khan was almost as effective, and he's still around, and a much-improved bowler. Pace-wise, India have 2-3 good bowlers, better than last time, while the Kiwis have lost a world beater and have 2-3 decent bowlers.

On a green-top, India's bowling and batting both end up being superior, while on a flat wicket, the bowling of both sides is neutralised, and it's a contest of which team makes more mistakes. I feel that if they have a balanced wicket, and NZ don't play silly shots like in the first test, they have a much better chance. Do you really expect Vettori to make a century on a green-top? Where are the runs gonna come from?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I
On a green-top, India's bowling and batting both end up being superior, while on a flat wicket, the bowling of both sides is neutralised
I think you're forgetting that Zaheer and Sharma have been bowling predominantly on 'flat wickets' (Aus 07/08, 08/09 and Eng 08/09) and comes out as better bowlers. Zaheer was MOTS v England and the way he can reverse the ball consistently shows he has the skills to succeed on flat pitches, hell he's even become a much better bowler circa 3 years as a result of this and is what makes his 'second coming' even better.