• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
They can keep on criticising Strauss for being slow, but we lost this run chase because KP, Shah and Collingwood have contributed 35 runs between them.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Gareth Batty must be one of least effective players ever to feature in a odi for us. One wicket every 2nd game and a batting average of 2 is spectacularly poor.

EDIT
And sure enough he runs himself out too. Nicely done mate.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Anyone think Ian Botham massively over-rates Sulieman Benn? He had 1 good game in the Test series, where he looked threatening at Jamaica. But as soon as England started attacking him, he looked nothing more than average. He's a good Twenty20 bowler, but to be as impressed with him as Botham is confuses me.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone think Ian Botham massively over-rates Sulieman Benn? He had 1 good game in the Test series, where he looked threatening at Jamaica. But as soon as England started attacking him, he looked nothing more than average. He's a good Twenty20 bowler, but to be as impressed with him as Botham is confuses me.
Yeah, I thought he was rubbish when I saw him in an ODI before. One of the Australia ones last year.

King Pietersen

International Captain
More woeful running from England, great fielding from Miller, but poor running from Batty. So he's not good enough to bowl his 10 overs on a slow bowlers paradise, he's ridiculously slow in the field, and he can't bat. Cracking selection, why the hell wasn't James Tredwell brought in? He was 2nd to Swann a while back, but has seemingly been forgotten. Certainly a heck of alot better than Batty.

Time for Harmison to smack a few runs like he did with Plunkett (iirc) in the Pro40 last season.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
More woeful running from England, great fielding from Miller, but poor running from Batty. So he's not good enough to bowl his 10 overs on a slow bowlers paradise, he's ridiculously slow in the field, and he can't bat. Cracking selection, why the hell wasn't James Tredwell brought in? He was 2nd to Swann a while back, but has seemingly been forgotten. Certainly a heck of alot better than Batty.
As is Blackwell.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Am I the only one thinking Strauss has actually batted quite well? If those around him hadn't fallen apart, England could quite possibly be needing 30 off the last 8 with Strauss having played the anchor role. Even with the situation, he's made sure he's stuck around whilst the others have crumbled. People who criticise him for not adjusting and smacking the ball about having lost the wickets are looking for reasons to drop him.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Am I the only one thinking Strauss has actually batted quite well? If those around him hadn't fallen apart, England could quite possibly be needing 30 off the last 8 with Strauss having played the anchor role. Even with the situation, he's made sure he's stuck around whilst the others have crumbled. People who criticise him for not adjusting and smacking the ball about having lost the wickets are looking for reasons to drop him.
Agreed - there's room for one guy to bat like this. It's not as if we're chasing 300+

alw1971

Cricket Spectator

I agree!

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, you're right, he's done nothing wrong. He just hasn't looked remotely fluent at any stage. Missed and edged and such quite a bit.

King Pietersen

International Captain
As is Blackwell.
Blackwell's a decent shout actually. Good with the bat and handy with the ball, not going to run through a side with his spin, but still better than Batty. Why on earth Rashid's in the ODi squad is beyond me as well. Sure he's got potential, but he's got 17 List A wickets, would just be Panesar Mk II, and it's not like he's run through county attacks either. This ODi squad is not big enough, and includes far too many players that shouldn't be there. Rashid, Batty, Strauss, Bell and Prior should not be in there. Picking guys like Tredwell, Blackwell, Trott, Napier, Foster, Bresnan, Wright, Joseph and Key could all be considered. We're just not picking OD players, but just the same old Test players that aren't performing. Just glad Alastair Cook's not in the ODi squad anymore.

Although saying Strauss, he is batting very nicely today. Has been a lone ranger out there, would be magnificent if he could somehow lead England to a win here.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Blackwell's a decent shout actually. Good with the bat and handy with the ball, not going to run through a side with his spin, but still better than Batty.
The odd thing about Blackwell's odi career was that his bowling was far better than his batting. But at least he has the potential to make some runs and probably needed the confidence of managing it once or twice. Batty's always been a dud, and I don't get his slection at all.