• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hello what? Genuine dismissals all those, apart from Franklin.
So you can't be unlucky to be out if it was a genuine dismissal ?

FFS, any knowledgeable cricket fan know it's bloody unlucky to be strangled down the

leg-side as Flynn was. Most would also acknowledge there's always an element of

bad-luck to be bowled off your pad, especially when the ball was heading down leg-side,

clips the pad & hits off-stump as with Taylor's dismissal.

And I'm sure you'll agree Franklin was well & truly sawn-off

Did you count the number of edged 4s and 6 that Vettori had? I stopped counting after 6.
Any where exactly in my previous post did I suggest Vettori wasn't lucky in that innings ?

What about the two dropped catches?
Dropped catches is generally poor play on the oppositions part as opposed to bad luck,

but yes, obviously NZ benefited from those

Zinzan

There's a substantial amount of luck in your still being here, given your tirade in that "leaving thread" but you don't see anyone going on about that.

By the way, how much luck was involved in the first Indian catch (was it Dravid?) he dropped it, and the ball happened to land in his hands after he'd hit the ground! I've never seen a catch like that before today. Incredible luck.
True true, forgot to allude to that one :cool:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Haha, watched a bit until lunch when NZ were down at 61/6. Got back home after days play and turned on the news channels and none of them carried the score at stumps. Should have known there would have been a fightback. That said, if India were told before days play that NZ would effectively end up 250/10 at days end, they'd have surely taken it.

profernity

U19 Debutant
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS Ryder gets a hundy.

Pretty balanced game atm, the two big questions are A) how will India fare with the bat and B) is this NZs customary once a series collapse or will it be a trend like the Australian tour?
I thought NZ's customary collapses happened in the 3rd innings :ph34r:.

Precambrian

Banned
There's a substantial amount of luck in your still being here, given your tirade in that "leaving thread" but you don't see anyone going on about that.

By the way, how much luck was involved in the first Indian catch (was it Dravid?) he dropped it, and the ball happened to land in his hands after he'd hit the ground! I've never seen a catch like that before today. Incredible luck.
:tongue: Ignores first paragraph as irrelevant to the topic of discussion.

Sure, India had too their moments of good luck, like that Dravid's catch etc. I never said India were completely unlucky.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Bloody hell, go to bed at 61/6, thinking game's in the bag, Ryder and Vettori just had to ruin my morning. Still, Sehwag's looking pretty ominous and if they see off the new ball NZ could be in a spot of bother.

Zinzan

:tongue: Ignores first paragraph as irrelevant to the topic of discussion.

Sure, India had too their moments of good luck, like that Dravid's catch etc. I never said India were completely unlucky.
Look, its always the same. It comes down to what eye-patch you have on. I was watching the highlights after work thinking some of those dismissals were damn unlucky - but hey I'm a NZ supporter. You were watching Vettori edging deliveries down through gully thinking - damn, that guy's lucky. The reality is overall both sides had their fair share of good & bad luck & my only point was that your earlier statement lacked balance.

Precambrian

Banned
So you can't be unlucky to be out if it was a genuine dismissal ?

FFS, any knowledgeable cricket fan know it's bloody unlucky to be strangled down the

leg-side as Flynn was. Most would also acknowledge there's always an element of

bad-luck to be bowled off your pad, especially when the ball was heading down leg-side,

clips the pad & hits off-stump as with Taylor's dismissal.

And I'm sure you'll agree Franklin was well & truly sawn-off
1. I'd blame stupidity and error of judgement on part of Flynn and Rossco respectively than luck for their dismissals. The batsmen is to be blamed than pitied for in such cases.

2. Franklin's was genuinely unlucky.

Any where exactly in my previous post did I suggest Vettori wasn't lucky in that innings ?
You seemed to be upset with my post. And you gave quite a strong looking but inherently weak counterargument to it.

Dropped catches is generally poor play on the oppositions part as opposed to bad luck,
It is definitely Good Luck from the batting point of view right?

but yes, obviously NZ benefited from those
Aye. Convergence finally.

Zinzan

You seemed to be upset with my post. And you gave quite a strong looking but inherently weak counterargument to it.
So pointing out your post lacked balance was weak ? I thought it was bang-on since so didn't allude to any of India's good luck or Franklin being sawn-off in that initial post :p

It is definitely Good Luck from the batting point of view right?
Yes & bad luck for the bowler, but not bad luck for the fielders, just bad play :)

Precambrian

Banned
So pointing out your post lacked balance was weak ? I thought it was bang-on since so didn't allude to any of India's good luck or Franklin being sawn-off in that initial post :p
Why should I post about India's good luck, when I am making a completely valid point about Vettori and Ryder's luck? It was after all a specific observation than a summary of the day's play.

Yes & bad luck for the bowler, but not bad luck for the fielders, just bad play :)
Bad luck for the bowler and good luck for the batsmen.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Why should I post about India's good luck, when I am making a completely valid point about Vettori and Ryder's luck? It was after all a specific observation than a summary of the day's play.

Bad luck for the bowler and good luck for the batsmen.
How was Ryder lucky?

And I reckon you're overstating Vettori's 'luck' sure there were a few genuine edges past the slips, but also quite few controlled ones.

Precambrian

Banned
I saw a few edges that flew through slips. And I have both eyes open.

You clearly know piss all about cricket then.
No. Flynn has only himself to blame for that dismissal.

It is the same case like getting a juicy fulltoss and hitting it straight to the lone fielder in the deep. You cannot put down that to bad luck.

Precambrian

Banned
Hardly comparable to Vettoris luck though.
Who said it is comparable. I said both batsmen had their fair share of luck, particularly Vettori.

Again, I couldn't care less about such a stupid debate on such a trivial thing. Dan the man showed his top order batsmen (again) what to do. And despite being on the receiving end, I enjoyed every bit of the partnership.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
You know, the amazing thing about Ryders innings in particular, is that previous NZ batsmen, would have done the hard work, made a start then got out when a century was in the offing.

Lose this test match, I'm not too concerned, as the above example bodes well for future NZ cricketers. Dig in, have some faith in your partner at the other end, get the rewards. They will know they can compete internationally in tests as well as ODI's - just takes some adaption to the scenario.

Unfortunately I don't think McCullum is going to have it. Guptill, Ryder, Flynn are showing the way.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
No. Flynn has only himself to blame for that dismissal.

It is the same case like getting a juicy fulltoss and hitting it straight to the lone fielder in the deep. You cannot put down that to bad luck.
No, it's completely different. It's pure bad luck hitting one slightly too fine and the keeper getting to it. When playing a leg glance off that sort of ball you don't try to place it anywhere, you're just trying to get something on it down to fine leg for a single or a boundary. If it goes that fine then it's just unlucky.

Precambrian

Banned
Not at all. The fact that you got such a ball at such an early stage to get your timing and confidence right means you were lucky. But then, due to your own mistake you fail to put enough meat on it and end up edging behind. That has nothing to do with bad luck. Only poor batsmanship.

Otherwise every dismissal in the world can be termed as unlucky from the pov of the batsman. Including McCullum's.