• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

biased indian

International Coach
Not a bad day at the end but could have been a lot lot better day .....if we had manged to get NZ out for 10-15 overs earlier for a score around 200 it would have been the perfect day ...with things as it is now they still have a relatively new new ball for tomorrow and the first hour could be crucial ..if we can get through that with out much damage ..we should be able to control the game from there on

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't think so.. Tomm morning the conditions will aid swing bowling and our guys have shown that they are still not that flash.. Men like Yuvi, Gambhir and even Sehwag and Dhoni are all very much suspect.. A lot will depend on Sachin, Rahul and Laxman again and even Laxman gets found out in such conditions from time to time... Basically, if Sachin and Rahul do well, we will get a good score with others batting and maybe hitting decent scores around them.. If not, we are gone for all money.

Still have NZ inches ahead as favourites at this point. Amazing knocks from Vettori and Ryder...

How the hell could they keep this guy out of the side for so long?

Craig

World Traveller
I don't know the NZCC would let guys like Dravid play in domestic cricket and play him into form. Would Cricket Australia let Kevin Pietersen play for an Aussie state team before the Ashes?

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't think so.. Tomm morning the conditions will aid swing bowling and our guys have shown that they are still not that flash.. Men like Yuvi, Gambhir and even Sehwag and Dhoni are all very much suspect.. A lot will depend on Sachin, Rahul and Laxman again and even Laxman gets found out in such conditions from time to time... Basically, if Sachin and Rahul do well, we will get a good score with others batting and maybe hitting decent scores around them.. If not, we are gone for all money.

Still have NZ inches ahead as favourites at this point. Amazing knocks from Vettori and Ryder...

How the hell could they keep this guy out of the side for so long?
We aren't ahead. You guys are in a much better position then we are. It's not 2002 where we had a pretty good bowling attack where conditions couldn't have suited us more. And don't be frightened about Vettori bowling you guys out in the last innings because he won't.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't catch highlights of the NZ innings on Max, only Bollywood movies. They've got out nearly all the top Kiwi batsmen out cheaply, but the time may have come to assess Vettori as a genuine batsman. I don't know how fast the Indians bowled, but to take out any batting side of decent quality for less than 300, with only four bowlers, within 90 overs, is quite an achievement. The question is, whether it can happen again. There doesn't seem much assistance to the seamers, and we saw Sehwag play himself into a start with little difficulty.

The batting will take care of itself, though the Kiwis have five arms to aim at the Indians, and with the batting strength they possess, the task is not too tough. Gambhir can turn the strike over time and again, and let Sehwag's bat do the talking. Dravid played himself into form in a first-class match in the lead up to this one, and Sachin may have recovered fully, on the back of that massive innings. Yuvraj is a dangerous player when he gets going, and can do what Ryder did for the Kiwis. The only suspect player here is Laxman, but the pitch is flat enough and the bowling may wear out by the time he's in. Getting the Kiwis out for a low score once again, however, will be a tough ask.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Haven't been able to catch any of the action today, but I'd imagine India are still in the drivers seat despite the New Zealand fightback. A first innings score of 400 should put the game sorely in our favour but never rule out an Indian collapse on a track offering something to the seamers.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know the NZCC would let guys like Dravid play in domestic cricket and play him into form. Would Cricket Australia let Kevin Pietersen play for an Aussie state team before the Ashes?
Maybe because Ind/NZ isn't an Ashes...there's hardly any rivalry between these teams, though Ishant tried to start some...

Howsie

International Captain
I only had one class today so I wen't down to Seddon Park, and today was easily the best day of Test cricket I have seen live. I don't know how many people were there, maybe around 3000-4000 thousand which wasn't to bad for a work day. But everytime Ryder or Vettori scored a run most of the crowd clapped, the whole crowd just seemed to get in right behind them. And when Vettori brang up his 100, oh that was great. Vettori and Ryder just batted so well.

Oh and Chris Martin blocking out those five balls, Classic.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aye. But for some extreme amount of luck, NZ would have folded out for 150 or so. Ryder was awesome. But Vettori was the star today.
Yeah the NZ batsmen were soooo lucky, particularly Flynn being strangled down the legside, Taylor being bowled off his pad & Franklin being given out caught behind off the pad.
8-)

FFS man, have some balance to your statements, yes Vettori was lucky, but those mentioned above definitely were not

Flem274*

123/5
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS Ryder gets a hundy.

Pretty balanced game atm, the two big questions are A) how will India fare with the bat and B) is this NZs customary once a series collapse or will it be a trend like the Australian tour?

Going to be such an awesome test, Vettori, Ryder, Ishant and Zaheer having excellent games so far.

adharcric

International Coach
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS Ryder gets a hundy.

Pretty balanced game atm, the two big questions are A) how will India fare with the bat and B) is this NZs customary once a series collapse or will it be a trend like the Australian tour?

Going to be such an awesome test, Vettori, Ryder, Ishant and Zaheer having excellent games so far.
Zaheer was rather ordinary (especially by his standards) after his opening spell.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
[

India can only blame themsleves for some poor field placings and also dravid dropping a chance, gambir missing run out. Test cricket at its best today though offered a bit of everything

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
Great first day, ya had to love that, India on top, but NZ fought hard, the blackcaps owe so much to Vettori, how many times has he done this now? He comes out and saves his country from embarrassment.

If New Zealand can keep India's lead to less than 100, then set them a target of 250+, it will be a thriller of a test.

adharcric

International Coach
No one has ever stated he doesn't have talent.

Its his commitment and consistency that people have problems with.

Let's see how he goes for the rest of the series.
Haha, I was just playing the token "told you so" card but Munaf did show some great commitment today.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
but the time may have come to assess Vettori as a genuine batsman..
If you look at his record in the last 4 years you'd have to say he's definitely a genuine test allrounder

In this time he's played 30 test 1589 runs at 41.81 including 2 hundreds and taken 92 wickets at 29.4

Also, surely he's close, if not the best regular no.8 batsman in test history

Precambrian

Banned
Yeah the NZ batsmen were soooo lucky, particularly Flynn being strangled down the legside, Taylor being bowled off his pad & Franklin being given out caught behind off the pad.
8-)

FFS man, have some balance to your statements, yes Vettori was lucky, but those mentioned above definitely were not
Hello what? Genuine dismissals all those, apart from Franklin.

Did you count the number of edged 4s and 6 that Vettori had? I stopped counting after 6.

What about the two dropped catches?

See, am not taking away anything from Jesse's or Vettori's performances today. They were awesome. But to say their partnership was without substantial amount of luck would be deceiving yourself.

Flem274*

123/5
If you're reffering to Vettori's cuts through gully, he always plays those, its his best shot.

Anyway I didn't see the innings, but from the sounds of it the luck was spread evenly between the two sides.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
See, am not taking away anything from Jesse's or Vettori's performances today. They were awesome. But to say their partnership was without substantial amount of luck would be deceiving yourself.
There's a substantial amount of luck in your still being here, given your tirade in that "leaving thread" but you don't see anyone going on about that.

By the way, how much luck was involved in the first Indian catch (was it Dravid?) he dropped it, and the ball happened to land in his hands after he'd hit the ground! I've never seen a catch like that before today. Incredible luck.