• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst batsman ever to score a Test match 100

Rant0r

International 12th Man
put it this way, he was still playing first class cricket and available for selection for another 2 years following the double hundred. much like caddick's last test where he took 10 for then wasn't selected again.

either way, i'm pretty sure it's hard to find someone making a double in their last test

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There are many contestants - There is Ivan Barrow, Jamaica and Windies keeper of early 1930's, Xenophone Balaskas of South Africa, CL Baddock of Australia but I think if we look at their first class record as well to determine their skills as batsmen, Saqlain comes pretty low. While he does have 2 Test 50's besides his hundred, much better than the others named here, its a function of his having played so many more Tests.

His first class average of 16.7 is just marginally better than his Test average of 14.5. I am still to come at a lower average than tat for a Test centurion. He has no other FC hundred. Again I dont know of any Test centurion with that record.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
He has no other FC hundred. Again I dont know of any Test centurion with that record.
He scored more than just one and was a far better player than Saqlain, but I'm pretty sure that Ian Healy's four Test tons were his only ones in FC cricket.

Would be interesting to know how many other players' only FC centuries came in Tests.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
without looking i think agarkar's average was pretty low too

i simply could not see how that guy could make runs, yet i seen him make that amazing 50..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He scored more than just one and was a far better player than Saqlain, but I'm pretty sure that Ian Healy's four Test tons were his only ones in FC cricket.

Would be interesting to know how many other players' only FC centuries came in Tests.
Jerome Taylor springs to mind. In fact, he's only made two scores of above 50 in First Class cricket and they've both been in Tests.

Candidate for this thread I guess but I think his record will improve providing he plays more domestic cricket. He's undoubtedly improved as a batsman in recent times.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Jerome Taylor springs to mind. In fact, he's only made two scores of above 50 in First Class cricket and they've both been in Tests.

Candidate for this thread I guess but I think his record will improve providing he plays more domestic cricket. He's undoubtedly improved as a batsman in recent times.
Good call, just looked at his FC average - 14.47, actually lower than Saqlain's. Though his Test average of 17.38 is higher. As you say though, it's difficult to see those numbers not improving.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The worst batsmen I have seen (as opposed to bowlers/keepers who can bat a bit) who have recorded test centuries are Adrian Griffith and Trevor Franklin
I saw the title of the thread and I had a feeling you'd go for Franklin, Fred. He gets my vote too.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Jason Gillespie is definitely NOT a contender.

It's humorous because he made 200 (and, as mentioned, is CLEARLY the worst to make 200) - but Dizzy could handle a bat pretty well - he has 3 first class centuries and 10 first class fifties, so he's not a complete mug.

It's just a shame that McGrath didn't turn that 61 into a century, because then there wouldn't even be a debate on this topic :laugh:

For mine it's between:
Agit Agarkar (diabolical at test level - someone sneaked another century at FC level)
Mohammed Rafique (no other FC centuries)
Saqlain Mushtaq (no other FC centuries)

Jerome Taylor probably has time on his side to chalk up further runs - but really he could go either way!

And in terms of a 'proper batsman' I'd suggest Kenny Rutherford! (just wanted to put him forward...)

Rant0r

International 12th Man
yeah poor ken, he never really recovered, then when he started playing well he was thrust into the captaincy of a very ordinary team against the aussies.

i don't recall gillespie making any hundreds before his double, i think he made them after that, but i could be wrong, but he's certainly not the worst to make a hundred, definitely the worst to make a double though

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
yeah poor ken, he never really recovered, then when he started playing well he was thrust into the captaincy of a very ordinary team against the aussies.

i don't recall gillespie making any hundreds before his double, i think he made them after that, but i could be wrong, but he's certainly not the worst to make a hundred, definitely the worst to make a double though
Both his other centuries after his double

But I don't think he improved that much as a batsman, just got moved up the order from 10 so that he actually had a chance to score the runs.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
bangladesh have a lot fo answer for, especially for stats/records lovers like me
Cannot agree more - matches against b'desh should be treated as purely first class matches though Graeme Smith and Neil mc kenzie will disagree and so will Murali

Actually Pat Symcox was a decent batsman and in any other test side would have come higher - his 100 vs pak was actually breathtaking and replayed on star sports many times.

my vote for the most improbable player to score a test hundred is Saqlain Mushtaq

Last edited:

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Wonder how many batsmen in test cricket have scored a maiden hundred and no half centuries in their career ?

Last edited:

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Wonder how many batsmen in test cricket have scored a maiden hundred and no half centuries in their career ?

Perhaps this is a pointer to the post query

From memory in the 70's onwards , i can think of Ajay Ratra and Ajit Agarkar from india ; Tony Mann from Australia and Irving Shillingford from West Windies - all with solitary ton and no half centuries

Adding Ali Naqvi from pakistan to this list