• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I cannot possibly foresee Benn doing anything of remote note in the two Tests at Lord's and The Riverside. The pitches there are exceedingly unlikely to turn, and we've seen already that England are not afraid to attack Benn on a non-turner nor are likely to get into trouble when doing so.

Thus the only possible role you could argue for his selection - containment - would almost certainly not be likely to come to pass.

West Indies absolutely have to consider an all-seam attack if they're to have a hope in England this spring.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I cannot possibly foresee Benn doing anything of remote note in the two Tests at Lord's and The Riverside. The pitches there are exceedingly unlikely to turn, and we've seen already that England are not afraid to attack Benn on a non-turner nor are likely to get into trouble when doing so.

Thus the only possible role you could argue for his selection - containment - would almost certainly not be likely to come to pass.

West Indies absolutely have to consider an all-seam attack if they're to have a hope in England this spring.
:blink:

Thing is, almost without exception, the successful FC bowlers are spinners. Cricinfo - Records - Season 2008/09 in West Indies - First-class matches - Most wickets. Two fast bowlers in the top ten (ranked =4th and 10th).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In terms of what transpired, fine.

I hated seeing it, though. England had absolutely dominated the Aussies with attacking play so to see them pick an extra batsman was a disappointingly defensive move. Even in the context of the weather to come. Just personal preference, I prefer all-out attack.
TBF though, the choice came down to picking Collingwood or Anderson, and Anderson was out of sorts. If there was another seamer knocking about that they felt could have done the business, I think they'd have picked him. I mean I geuss you can say that's a cautious attitude in itself, but I don't think there was a conscious decision from the outset to play seven batsmen.

Maybe I'm just naive though :laugh:

****, how awesome was Jimmy this match? Unstoppable.
If they ever drop Jimmy again there will be consequences for sure, he was brilliant

Oh, and in general, I'm not too disheartened by yesterday's efforts, and the fact that we've probably played the better cricket for the bulk of the series counts for nothing, we failed to take 20 wickets at any point and deserved to lose. Well done to the West Indies.

WI fan

Cricket Spectator
Hooray Windies

It has been a long time since I last posted but I have been reading the comments on the board nevertheless.

I was at the Queen's Park Oval for the end of the England innings yesterday and of the West Indies last two sessions at bat. Let me say for the record that nothing can beat Test cricket!!!!

In your typical ODI or 20/20 the tension only comes down in the last few overs or balls.

Yesterday the anxiety started with the first ball of the West Indies 2nd innings. It was high drama and PRESSURE until Fidel Edwards negotiated the penultimate ball of the scheduled last over. So everyone was on pins and needles for nearly 5 hours.......5 hours of highs and lows, friendly banter with the members of "The Barmy Army", singing, cheering, heckling of players and supporters (all good natured mind you) and large amounts of alcohol to steady the nerves!

I do not think that too many England supporters should criticize Strauss' strategy. He quite rightly made a game of it and we knew he would bat until lunch and give us the last 2 sessions.

The bounce on the pitch was highly variable. There were deliveries from the England spinners that rose very awkwardly off of full lengths and others that were "ratting" around the ankles. Coupled with the obvious trepidation by the West Indies batsmen because of the condition of the pitch and the state of the series all made for riveting viewing and I am glad that I skipped work to be there.

Well done Windies and well played England.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:blink:

Thing is, almost without exception, the successful FC bowlers are spinners. Cricinfo - Records - Season 2008/09 in West Indies - First-class matches - Most wickets. Two fast bowlers in the top ten (ranked =4th and 10th).
What's the Blink smiley directed at? What in my post was so surprising? :unsure:

And yes, I realise that most West Indian bowlers who have success are spinners - conditions in most of West Indies at the current time are spin-friendly much sooner than being seam-friendly. In England, however, seam still retains a much more dominant position over spin, even though England is currently nowhere near so seam-friendly as it mostly has been down the years and should be.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's the Blink smiley directed at? What in my post was so surprising? :unsure:

And yes, I realise that most West Indian bowlers who have success are spinners - conditions in most of West Indies at the current time are spin-friendly much sooner than being seam-friendly. In England, however, seam still retains a much more dominant position over spin, even though England is currently nowhere near so seam-friendly as it mostly has been down the years and should be.
Because West Indies have been notoriously reluctant to give spin a chance in tests. And it's surreal to hear someone say, "they need to pick more fast bowlers".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I didn't exactly say "they need to pick more fast bowlers", just "spin won't help them at either ground they're playing at this spring, so they'd do best to pick all-seam".

WI fan

Cricket Spectator
Bloody hell. 3 years and 4 months since your last post in CC. :blink:
Not so long actually. Last time was during the World Cup in 2007.........just under 2 years!

I hope to be at the 20/20 match this Sunday and I will probably do some "live" posts from my laptop just like the World Cup. The atmosphere at matches in the Caribbean is fantastic and I can well understand why so many English supporters make the trip.

WI fan

Cricket Spectator
The World Cup discussion wasn't in Cricket Chat though; it was in its own forum. Richard's technically correct.
I think I will have to ask for a referral on that one....seing that it is technical and all. hmmmmm who to adjudicate ..... umpire Dar or Hair?????:laugh::laugh::laugh:

WI fan

Cricket Spectator
At your service. :yes:
.....in the absence of any evidence to the ruling on the field Umpire Harper reverses the decision of Umpire Prince EWS and WI fan is allowed to continue his innings on the CC.

Asked why he had overturned the standing umpire's decision Mr. Harper replied,

"Well in keeping in the spirit of the game and notwithstanding the two bottles of Demerara Distillers 25 year select rum donated (charitable tax write off) WI fan is a decent enough chap to keep around."

So there we have it folks. Another "questionable" ruling by the 3rd umpire but then that is cricket!:laugh:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
As a fielder but his batting or bowling isn't even close to world class.

XI for England...

Gayle
? - Ganga :ph34r:
Sarwan
Nash
Chanderpaul
Bravo
Ramdin
? - Sammy/Hinds...
Taylor
? - Anyone but Powell or Benn
Edwards

Looks pretty decent. If they could find a decent opener and a 3rd quick who isn't awful then they would be very competitive.
Bravo aint a good enough test # 6, Ramdin despite his hundred on that road would never be a good test # 7 & # 4 is definately too high for Nash.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
"It is a graveyard for fast bowlers, county cricket. We need some pace from somewhere."
Nasser Hussain lets fly after England lose another series

Mar 10, 2009
I have to disagree with Nasser here, there were seaming decks throughout last season.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have to disagree with Nasser here, there were seaming decks throughout last season.
Think that might be the very nub of Nasser's gist tho. Our green, sappy pitches offer prodigious seam movement, especially in the spring and early summer, and our overcast conditions keep the swing bowlers interested. It's possible to be a successful seam-up bowler in England whilst being a way off real "pace".

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Think that might be the very nub of Nasser's gist tho. Our green, sappy pitches offer prodigious seam movement, especially in the spring and early summer, and our overcast conditions keep the swing bowlers interested. It's possible to be a successful seam-up bowler in England whilst being a way off real "pace".
Perhaps, but 'building' tracks which aid genuine pace outside of areas of natural occurance like Australia, South Africa, New Zealand is most difficult. We had a damp summer, not much can be done about that; it is not as if quick bowlers did not play well, Napier, Harmison, Kabir Ali, Simon Jones, Robbie Joseph are all 85mph+ and bowled well - so calling it a graveyard may be inaccurate.

Moreover, there would have been reports if there was a bowler of 90mph, or several, who have been languishing in mediocrity due to the pitches. Frankly, Meaker may have been clocked at 95mph, but he seems the only example of such and it appears apparent that he is merely quite raw rather than punished by the pitches.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Perhaps, but 'building' tracks which aid genuine pace outside of areas of natural occurance like Australia, South Africa, New Zealand is most difficult. We had a damp summer, not much can be done about that; it is not as if quick bowlers did not play well, Napier, Harmison, Kabir Ali, Simon Jones, Robbie Joseph are all 85mph+ and bowled well - so calling it a graveyard may be inaccurate.

Moreover, there would have been reports if there was a bowler of 90mph, or several, who have been languishing in mediocrity due to the pitches. Frankly, Meaker may have been clocked at 95mph, but he seems the only example of such and it appears apparent that he is merely quite raw rather than punished by the pitches.
I'm sure preparing bouncier strips with pace is made harder by our weather conditions, but it's not impossible. Old Trafford always has bounce and if a track that offers help to Harmy-style bowlers can be made in a city with the average rainfall of Manchester I reckon it can be done more or less anywhere.

There's a chicken-and-egg side too tho; if your bowlers are medium-fast seamers it pays to prepare tracks that offer something to them. It also means that sadly a lot of our bowlers are rather neutered on less response decks.