• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Langeveldt

Soutie
How about Ponting's captaincy guys? Was brought up by BJ and I think he deserves some credit. Maybe still not the most tactically brilliant or innovative but still the psychological aspect of bringing in an incredibly new and young team, and winning the series against the main competition away at their home deserves kudos. People have said he's had it easy for years but this win proves he can do it even if the side was not full of all-time greats.
this

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Always felt that the hubbub of the demise of Australian cricket was overblown. Do think they will come back to the field a bit. But once Lee and Clarke come back to full fitness, id expect Australia to run over all but the stronger teams (India and RSA) esp at home.
:huh:

They've just run over one of the strongest teams in the world without either of those guys and with a brand new (albeit brilliant) opener and number 6. Absolutely no-one in the press was giving them a chance to compete and they've rolled SA. Whilst India have their batters, they're still above them, though.

Ah, good to see the South Africans returning to the bad old days of "OMGWTFBBQ, EVERYBODY PANIC!!!" Prince in as opener is a bit hasty, for mine.

Full credit to Ponting for captaincy too. He still has a tendency to bowl his best bowlers into the ground (and I think Aus are going to pay for it with regards Johnson soon) but still, great to see a distinct lack of blokes on the cover-point and mid-wicket fences and more behind the wicket. Interesting, Ponting's already been captain for 5 years and most Aussie captains don't last any longer than that. You get the feeling something like this will give him the motivation to push on for a fair bit longer.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
What are Jean Symes's credentials as a SA cricketer? Khan is a bit of a left field selection for mine, I'd have dropped Morkel but retained McKenzie

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
It was also great to see that, all the blokes who were picked to play, contributed in one way or the other, and its been this team effort that has really lifted the Australian side, and as has already been said, Ponting also deserves a lot of credit for this, he has done an excellent job, in lifting the spirits of the side and leading them from the front.
Hussey :ph34r:. Does a very scratchy 50 count?

But in general I AWTA. Particularly the bowlers. I honestly thought McDonald would be a bit of a passenger, but he contributed pretty well IMO.

Woodster

International Captain
****house has bowled too short this innings (also played Kallis in) and his swing is from the hand which makes him pretty 'easy' to read whilst his wicket in this game was with an outswinger which went terribly wrong. Siddle is different class and his length isn't much difference, bowls even fuller for mine.

Although, in saying that House should definitely tour England, better bowler than Bollinger but get Clark in for him and then go with Lee as the reserve test seamer or the 4th if you go with that composition for the Ashes.

Aus, if they wrap things up tomorrow should look into getting a McGain a gig in Cape Town.
I don't doubt Hilfenhaus bowled too short, and allowed Kallis the luxury of rocking back and pulling him to the boundary on a few occasions. My point was, if you were to take their natural lengths, I would suggest Hilfenhaus would be that bit fuller to get the best results for his swing bowling.

I like what I've seen from Siddle, a wholehearted performer that bangs the ball in back of a length at good pace and with decent accuracy.

Woodster

International Captain
I have been impressed with how the Australian bowling attack has worked as a unit, with Johnson and Siddle as the stand out bowlers. I thought their inexperience may be costly but they have certainly used the conditions well and proved their bowling depth is not quite as shallow as a few people anticipated.

Burgey

Hussey :ph34r:. Does a very scratchy 50 count?

But in general I AWTA. Particularly the bowlers. I honestly thought McDonald would be a bit of a passenger, but he contributed pretty well IMO.
Yeah, it does in the context of what happened to the Saffie batsmen on the same morning after his dismissal.

Burgey

Regarding Lee, I guess we won't know for sure how well he's travelling until he's got a ball in his hands. Anyone have any info as to when that's like to be? Can't see him squeezing in for the Ashes at this rate.
Saw him in Martin Place on Monday evening on the way home.

He certainly looks fit. Hasn't put any weight on anyways.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
What are Jean Symes's credentials as a SA cricketer? Khan is a bit of a left field selection for mine, I'd have dropped Morkel but retained McKenzie
Head above water at franchise level; but still not a consistent selection and he may even make way once Neil Mac returns. Khan’s not someone who I rate but his got the runs when no one else has.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
TTBoy - who do you think will be 12th man?

I don't know much about Khan or Parnell - but their first class stats aren't overly flattering.
I know Khan did well in the tour match - but that was on a slab of concrete right?

Is it possible that they take a leaf out of the Aussies book and Harris becomes 12th man? Duminy and Khan to handle the spinning duties?

Albertus at 7, Boucher at 8 and Parnell at 9 ought to give some batting depth....

To be frank, wickets were going to be a problem for the South Africans anyway unless Steyn fired anyway. So the pressure still remains on Steyn to take 10+ and hopefully the batsmen can score some runs and give the captain something to play with to apply pressure?
Parnell but both he and Ntini and club team-mates so if Wayne does the business this week and Ntini doesn’t, he may jump infront. Parnell can also hold a bat, batted top six/five when he was U19 captain. Given it is Cape Town and it has favoured over recent years the slower bowlers, Harris should get the gig.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
This has been a great series for Australia and might I say very impressive performance from their Captain and the young team. I am so looking forward to the future contests between India and Australia.

inbox24

International Debutant
Dunno why Prince is opening, he could give the SA middle order some much needed substance and hold it together. Should probably go with the following:

Khan
Amla
Kallis
De Villiers
Prince
Duminy
Boucher
Parnell
Harris
Steyn
Ntini

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Parnell but both he and Ntini and club team-mates so if Wayne does the business this week and Ntini doesn’t, he may jump infront. Parnell can also hold a bat, batted top six/five when he was U19 captain. Given it is Cape Town and it has favoured over recent years the slower bowlers, Harris should get the gig.
Ok - makes sense.

Harris has probably been the second most troubling bowler for the Aussies anyway. I know he's been smashed a few times, but he's generated some genuine chances too - so it would be harsh to make him 12th.

I figured Parnell would be 12th - are they just calling him in to get some national team experience then? Just so he can see what happens in the test camp?

Tsotsobe must be fairly upset at his timing - he's a terrific prospect and should waltz into the team when fit - the 'Morne Morkel' bowling slot is surely wide open right now.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Ok - makes sense.

Harris has probably been the second most troubling bowler for the Aussies anyway. I know he's been smashed a few times, but he's generated some genuine chances too - so it would be harsh to make him 12th.

I figured Parnell would be 12th - are they just calling him in to get some national team experience then? Just so he can see what happens in the test camp?

Tsotsobe must be fairly upset at his timing - he's a terrific prospect and should waltz into the team when fit - the 'Morne Morkel' bowling slot is surely wide open right now.
No I think he is in because there is genuinely not many options open to the South African selectors. Nel is Kolpak; Cackdeki is off having knee surgery, as is Tsotsobe.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Morkel is back playing in South Africa’s next test series. He started the season well domestically and I’m sure he will just return to the Titans and do the business and good thing for him is that the next series is until the back end of the year. Ntini is the one who should be concerned for he hasn’t got the ‘excuses’ that Morne has, Ntini really has been a big disappointment but anyone who has watched South Africa since the West Indian test series knows that he was getting carried and it became obvious during the England test series that he was nigh on finished. It will be interesting to see if South Africa does go down 3-0 whether they decide to leave Ntini stranded on 99 test caps…

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
:huh:

They've just run over one of the strongest teams in the world without either of those guys and with a brand new (albeit brilliant) opener and number 6. Absolutely no-one in the press was giving them a chance to compete and they've rolled SA. Whilst India have their batters, they're still above them, though.

Ah, good to see the South Africans returning to the bad old days of "OMGWTFBBQ, EVERYBODY PANIC!!!" Prince in as opener is a bit hasty, for mine.
'Panic' (or decent foresight) would be axing Boucher and Ntini, not making only two changes. Australia’s selectors were in some ways helped when they lost at home that the likes of Lee and Roy had external circumstances which meant the tough decisions didn’t have to be taken and Haydos jumped before he was pushed. Not as easy with the South Africans, the likes of Boucher and Ntini (maybe) won’t jump.

The South African selectors have only dropped a guy who can’t buy a run and bowler who couldn’t string a decent over together. It is hardly panic stations. Prince opening is dodgy, hasn’t done the job since he was an U19 batsman but similarly Katich got the Aussie gig after not opening domestically in either Aus or England.

irfan

State Captain
'Panic' (or decent foresight) would be axing Boucher and Ntini, not making only two changes. Australia’s selectors were in some ways helped when they lost at home that the likes of Lee and Roy had external circumstances which meant the tough decisions didn’t have to be taken and Haydos jumped before he was pushed. Not as easy with the South Africans, the likes of Boucher and Ntini (maybe) won’t jump.

The South African selectors have only dropped a guy who can’t buy a run and bowler who couldn’t string a decent over together. It is hardly panic stations. Prince opening is dodgy, hasn’t done the job since he was an U19 batsman but similarly Katich got the Aussie gig after not opening domestically in either Aus or England.
Katich opened for NSW in his record-breaking year IIRC..