• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indeed. I still find myself shaking my head in disbelief when I see he has more Test wickets than Jason Gillespie. Despite all his injuries, Dizz seemed so much better for so much longer that it just seems wrong.
I agree with this, although without looking them up I'd imagine there's a big difference in average favouring Gillespie.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
How about Ponting's captaincy guys? Was brought up by BJ and I think he deserves some credit. Maybe still not the most tactically brilliant or innovative but still the psychological aspect of bringing in an incredibly new and young team, and winning the series against the main competition away at their home deserves kudos. People have said he's had it easy for years but this win proves he can do it even if the side was not full of all-time greats.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
well played Australia-i didnt think they could do it but they deserve the no 1 title.south africa have a long way to go before they can claim to be no 1 .

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
How about Ponting's captaincy guys? Was brought up by BJ and I think he deserves some credit. Maybe still not the most tactically brilliant or innovative but still the psychological aspect of bringing in an incredibly new and young team, and winning the series against the main competition away at their home deserves kudos. People have said he's had it easy for years but this win proves he can do it even if the side was not full of all-time greats.
Probably his most satisfying series win apart from the 5-0 ashes, for all the reasons you said.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep. Credit where credit is due, he's been excellent!

pasag

RTDAS
Just so happy right about now. Simply incredible. I didn't think they would do it and have never been so happy to be proven wrong.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Big ups to Punter too, who has come in for plenty of criticism over his time in charge. He deserves a lot of praise for galvanising this young team and deserves the plaudits that will no doubt come his way now.
You're not fooling anyone Ikki, you big plagiarist. :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fair play to the Aussies, showing once again why they are the champions. They ain't ever giving up that #1 spot hey.

pup11

International Coach
Just so happy right about now. Simply incredible. I didn't think they would do it and have never been so happy to be proven wrong.
Exactly my sentiments, gave the guys absolutely no chance against this current South African side, especially when playing them in their own backyard, but I am really happy and proud of the whole team.

This series win has to be one the most sweetest and satisfying one's for me as an Aussie fan (and I guess, that might be the case with most of the Aussie fans), especially given the fact how tough and frustrating things have been for the team and the fans for the last 12 months.

It was also great to see that, all the blokes who were picked to play, contributed in one way or the other, and its been this team effort that has really lifted the Australian side, and as has already been said, Ponting also deserves a lot of credit for this, he has done an excellent job, in lifting the spirits of the side and leading them from the front.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Awesome effort by Aus, glad they came back so strong after the home series.

On a side note...saw a sign in the crowd that said "Hi Suzanne, Daddy loves you....Bilambil, N.S.W". That's just up the road from my place and I played cricket for a team whose home ground was at Bilambil so I'm wondering if it's someone I know.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
So you'd have:
?
Amla
Prince(?)
De Villiers
Kallis
Duminy
The reason why Neil Mac was asked to open was that there wasn't any viable alternatives and there still isn't that many strong candiates around.

Domestically, Imraan Khan is the inform opener, scored a century against Australia in the warm-up and has had a good season with the bat for the Dolphins but I've seen a lot of him and his a pretty limited cricketer.

I would be more inclined to give Dean Elgar a go. He hasn't had a good season with the bat in first class cricket but his a good talent and there is shades of Justin Langer about him. It would be a bold move to get him into the mix but I'll take him over Khan anyday of the week. Aside from those two, I like Rilee Rossouw, only 19, can open but has made most of his runs this year in the middle order. He will play for South Africa in the future, just a matter of when...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Ashwell Prince back for South Africa and will captain the side in Cape Town. Neil Mac and Morne Morkel have been dropped. Imraan Khan and Wayne Parnell are in...

Test squad: Ashwell Prince (Warriors, capt), Hashim Amla (Dolphins), Mark Boucher (Warriors), AB de Villiers (Titans), JP Duminy (Cape Cobras), Paul Harris (Titans), Jacques Kallis (Warriors), Imraan Khan (Dolphins), Albie Morkel (Titans), Makhaya Ntini (Warriors), Wayne Parnell (Warriors), Dale Steyn (Titans).

Could be the end of Paul Harris and Makhaya Ntini after Cape Town. Imran Tahir qualifies on April the 1st whilst if Ntini doesn't get some wickets he could be left stranded on 99 tests. Big fan of Parnell but his so raw.

And here is the 20/20 sqaud...

Johan Botha (Warriors, capt), Yusuf Abdulla (Dolphins), Hashim Amla (Dolphins), Mark Boucher (Warriors), AB de Villiers (Titans), JP Duminy (Cape Cobras), Herschelle Gibbs (Cape Cobras), Johann Louw (Dolphins), Albie Morkel (Titans), Justin Ontong (Cape Cobras), Wayne Parnell (Warriors), Robbie P (Warriors), Dale Steyn (Titans), Roelof van der Merwe (Titans), Vaughn van Jaarsveld (Lions).

Ontong, Louw, Robbie P, Boucher...:dry: