• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well one could argue that Nash failed to take the step up from Brisbane First Grade cricket to Australian First Class cricket. I'm telling you now, it's not because he wasn't technically equipped either.

As I said in my last post, sometimes it just doesn't work out for certain players in certain environments, for whatever reason. It's perhaps a little bit hard to argue with the Ganga situation specifically given not only the number of chances he was given but the faith he was shown to be given an extended run each time, but I don't think you can just put it all down to mental fortitude.
My opinion of Ganga, as with Bell, is just that he's quite simply not good enough. Not everything in a batsman's ability is obvious to the naked eye. He could suffer from issues with concentration, hand-eye co-ordination, reaction times, whatever. But when he doesn't score runs it's because of ability. The whole "mental issues with the step up" thing is a bit of a cop-out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't know whether that's true. Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Nash simply go to watch some cricket there at the 2007 world cup and love it so much he decided to stay?
He'd already lost his Queensland contract by that time. I think it'd be fair to say that without either event (ie, the WC2007 visit and the loss of contract) his playing for WI wouldn't have happened. It was both or nothing - if he'd gone there with a Qld contract he'd probably have stayed where he was; if he'd lost his contract and not visited during WC2007, he'd probably have either given-up professional cricket or tried to get with SA or Tasmania or another weaker state.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He'd already lost his Queensland contract by that time. I think it'd be fair to say that without either event (ie, the WC2007 visit and the loss of contract) his playing for WI wouldn't have happened. It was both or nothing - if he'd gone there with a Qld contract he'd probably have stayed where he was; if he'd lost his contract and not visited during WC2007, he'd probably have either given-up professional cricket or tried to get with SA or Tasmania or another weaker state.
So in a way the 2007 WC actually did do some good for West Indies cricket. Just not in the way they expected.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
if I get ban, eng will still get beaten by WI and thats the only thing I care about.

You're a liar if you can't admit that the ball clearly missed the bat.
I'm far more bothered that the forums stop getting spammed by you than the result of this series really.

As to whether bat hit ball, there's no way of knowing without the Snickometer, which we don't have in that series. It certainly isn't obvious that it didn't; it certainly isn't obvious that it did.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
My word, could the English commentators be any more biased, don't really think that decision was as clear and as categoric a Beefy was making it out to be, from the close up you could clearly see the ball missing the bat, you could see space! Just English commentators trying to convine themselves that it was a wicket... Good decision by Aleem...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My word, could the English commentators be any more biased, don't really think that decision was as clear and as categoric a Beefy was making it out to be, from the close up you could clearly see the ball missing the bat, you could see space! Just English commentators trying to convine themselves that it was a wicket... Good decision by Aleem...
If n\o was the original decision, that'd be fair enough. As it was, the decision to overturn the original decision was a poor one. There's no two ways about that.

There is no way anyone will ever know whether Chanderpaul hit that or not.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
My opinion of Ganga, as with Bell, is just that he's quite simply not good enough. Not everything in a batsman's ability is obvious to the naked eye. He could suffer from issues with concentration, hand-eye co-ordination, reaction times, whatever. But when he doesn't score runs it's because of ability. The whole "mental issues with the step up" thing is a bit of a cop-out.
Not really. You can have two players of similar ability and yet one will succeed and the other won't. That's mental aptitude for Tests. You can't doubt that Sarwan has the ability to be scoring loads of runs yet it took a different mental application for him this series than his previous series for that ability to show.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The bat hit the shoe, the side on view showed that clearly. The sound was after the ball hit the bat. Botham needs to get his head out of his arse.

sammy2

Banned
It's disgusting.

Wisden Trophy stays in the Carib

ozone

First Class Debutant
Disagree completely. It was no way clear cut, but it was given out and so, unless evidence that he didn't hit it was obvious, this decision should have stood. There was no way of saying from the replays that were given that the ball definately missed the bat, therefore the decision should have stood and Chanderpaul should have been out.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
If n\o was the original decision, that'd be fair enough. As it was, the decision to overturn the original decision was a poor one. There's no two ways about that.

There is no way anyone will ever know whether Chanderpaul hit that or not.
Will have to disagree. I could tell from all the replays that it didn't edge. If it didn't edge then the original decision is wrong.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
There was space between the bat and ball in the close up, I suggest you visit specsavers, two for one on all designer pairs...

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Will have to disagree. I could tell from all the replays that it didn't edge. If it didn't edge then the original decision is wrong.
Agreed. The side on view showed the sound was after the ball was a good distance from the bat. Moreover, the close in front on view showed that the sound was exactly as the bat thudded against the boot.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't think so TBH. Bell and Ganga's careers are totally different. Ganga has failed against all sorts of utterly poor Test bowling. Bell has generally succeeded against the easy and failed against the more difficult - at both domestic and international First-Class level.

Ganga is a simple case IMO of lacking the temperament for Test cricket - he's had a little success at Test level against some very good attacks and some less good ones, but has also had lots of failure against both good and bad; Bell is a more questionable one, and your theory is a perfectly plausible possibility (though I don't think we can know for certain).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There was space between the bat and ball in the close up, I suggest you visit specsavers, two for one on all designer pairs...
Well my picture is not of excellent quality and I didn't bother trying to discern whether it did based on it, because that'd have been impossible. I've simply gone on what people have said.

And the only thing I can tell is that, until Manee's post above, everyone who's saying it's obvious it didn't hit bat is a West Indies fan.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Notice how opinions are split between the two teams and the only impartial party i.e. Manee agrees with the West Indian boys, showing that England are trying to make themselves feel hard done by when the right decision was made...