• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I dont think Rashid should have been picked. Erratic selection is not the key to success. But whoever else was picked, there would be noone waving the "Should have picked Amjad" flag.

Just would not have happened.
Really?

I think Rashid should not even have been in the squad and I think that Amjad was called-up as a replacement is a rank joke along the lines of Plunkett, Mahmood and plenty others in the last 3-4 years.

However, this game, the choice was between Rashid and Amjad. Thus, whichever one failed, there'd almost certainly have been some people, somewhere (probably who didn't know much about cricket) saying the other one should've played.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nash may have had it relatively easy in his test career so far but he does look a pretty decent player. Not too sure myself how someone with such a solid looking technique and good composure averages only 31 in FC cricket.
Just a late developer, it seems.

Was a very moderate player for a long time (not helped by not having massive numbers of chances what with Jimmy Maher, Clint Perren, Stuart Law, Martin Love, Andrew Symonds, Lee Carseldine etc. ahead of him) but got better after going to WI and deservedly got his Test chance.

Anyway, he's finally gone there.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think they got the big decision right in picking five bowlers here. They also got picking the two main spinners right. The fifth bowler was never going to make a great difference, but Amjad was probably the right shout because he gave them something they didn't already have.

That's out of the squad of course, as i said before I'd have gone for Kabir Ali out of everyone.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Daren Ganga? Averages even less.. Very composed and correct, never scores many runs
Think Ganga averages a fair bit more in first class cricket. His problem is that, for whatever reason, he can't handle the step up, whereas indications are that Nash most certainly can. Greater mental fortitude perhaps?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nash clearly has what Ganga lacks (ie, temperament for Test cricket), but equally for a long time Ganga had what Nash lacked (ie, the basic physical batting ability).

If you put Nash in a Test team 2 years ago, never mind 4 or 5, he'd have failed completely. Nash has gotten a lot better in a very short space of time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just a late developer, it seems.

Was a very moderate player for a long time (not helped by not having massive numbers of chances what with Jimmy Maher, Clint Perren, Stuart Law, Martin Love, Andrew Symonds, Lee Carseldine etc. ahead of him) but got better after going to WI and deservedly got his Test chance.

Anyway, he's finally gone there.
He was always a better player than his First Class average for Queensland indicated. He's a great example of how you can fail to see the best of a player if you don't give him an extended run and put him under the pressure of playing for his place every time he's at the crease. I also think it shows that sometimes good players just don't produce what they should for little fault of their own when they go up a level, for whatever reason, and that this doesn't neccessarily just mean they aren't good enough or can't take the step up.

Obviously he's improved a fair bit since he left Queensland as well, but not really as much as you'd think.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Graeme Swann finally takes that middle order wicket I promised you all :ph34r:

oh hang on, it was Broad, d'oh

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He was always a better player than his First Class average for Queensland indicated. He's a great example of how you can fail to see the best of a player if you don't give him an extended run and put him under the pressure of playing for his place every time he's at the crease. I also think it shows that sometimes good players just don't produce what they should for little fault of their own when they go up a level, for whatever reason, and that this doesn't neccessarily just mean they aren't good enough or can't take the step up.

Obviously he's improved a fair bit since he left Queensland as well, but not really as much as you'd think.
I guess WI are just very lucky Qld had a strong side for most of Nash's career.

As most indications seem, then, that had they had a weaker side and had Nash got a good run, he'd have grabbed a place in Qld's team, and thus clearly Nash would not have gone to Jamaica.

And in other news, Chanderpaul surely should be out there.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Think Ganga averages a fair bit more in first class cricket. His problem is that, for whatever reason, he can't handle the step up, whereas indications are that Nash most certainly can. Greater mental fortitude perhaps?
Well one could argue that Nash failed to take the step up from Brisbane First Grade cricket to Australian First Class cricket. I'm telling you now, it's not because he wasn't technically equipped either.

As I said in my last post, sometimes it just doesn't work out for certain players in certain environments, for whatever reason. It's perhaps a little bit hard to argue with the Ganga situation specifically given not only the number of chances he was given but the faith he was shown to be given an extended run each time, but I don't think you can just put it all down to mental fortitude.

sammy2

Banned
atherton has no damn shame ... Freaking thief, no wonder Eng will get beaten and it's clear the ball is missing the bat.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I guess WI are just very lucky Qld had a strong side for most of Nash's career.

As most indications seem, then, that had they had a weaker side and had Nash got a good run, he'd have grabbed a place in Qld's team, and thus clearly Nash would not have gone to Jamaica.
Don't know whether that's true. Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Nash simply go to watch some cricket there at the 2007 world cup and love it so much he decided to stay?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Don't know whether that's true. Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Nash simply go to watch some cricket there at the 2007 world cup and love it so much he decided to stay?
Yeah came over for the World Cup and talked to some people and decided to move.