• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
"Ah applause for the 100 partnership. A very knowledgeable crowd here in Trinidad". [in simpering, patronising tone]

Thanks for that Athers. Another contender for the Commentary Cliche Hall of Fame.

I imagine the knowledgeability of the crowd may have something to do with the fact that the 100 partnership had just been announced on the big electronic screens visible to the entire crowd, you complete muppet.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Aghhhhhhhhhhh I am sick of the commentators saying it was negative stuff by Gayle... he ahd no damn choice...

Once Taylor got injured we had no coice but to do what we did... why would we at Benn at 8 when all we need is a draw, the English commentators need to wake up and realise Gayle did the only thing he could do...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yup. Even worse pick than Pattinson, tbh.
Not really you know. Both of course weren't inspiring picks by any means yea. But at least given the state of our bowling attack right now Amjad Khan does make sense.

Although of course Matthew Hoggard comes into consideration, i struggle to think on these flat decks he still has what it takes replicate his Adelaide & Nagpr 06 performances.

Pattinson though was straight ignorance.

This series really no doubt has really highlighted some big issues in the England's bbatting & bowling going into the Ashes.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
"Ah applause for the 100 partnership. A very knowledgeable crowd here in Trinidad". [in simpering, patronising tone]

Thanks for that Athers. Another contender for the Commentary Cliche Hall of Fame.

I imagine the knowledgeability of the crowd may have something to do with the fact that the 100 partnership had just been announced on the big electronic screens visible to the entire crowd, you complete muppet.
Yup but to be fair, the croud has been knowledgable today, chearing solid defensive strokes and berating unnecessery attacking ones, the only thing they are slightly ignorant about is the whole Khan chucking thing, but that could be forgiven...

You're quite synical when it comes to commentators arn't ya?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This series really no doubt has really highlighted some big issues in the England's batting & bowling going into the Ashes.
Well, we have barely a clue about our best bowling lineup. The batting's more straightforward apart from the number 3 position. Our top 6 aren't great, but there's no real debate about most of them.

But the bowling is becoming anyone's guess.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
You're quite synical when it comes to commentators arn't ya?
We invite these people into our living rooms and our lives for hours and days at a time. When there's a good commentator - and for me the best are CMJ, Aggers, Vic Marks and Jeremy Coney - I really do enjoy listening to them. But, yes, it irritates the hell out of me when they're rubbish, poseurs or cliche merchants.

Sky seem to take the view that ex-Test stars make good commentators. And almost without exception they don't, as Sky proves repeatedly.

I'm happy to have a quality commentator with an ex-player as an expert pundit to be turned to for some analysis. But with Sky it's "star" appeal over quality every time. And given how soul-destroying the cricket has been during this series, I'm in an unforgiving mood.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Not really you know. Both of course weren't inspiring picks by any means yea. But at least given the state of our bowling attack right now Amjad Khan does make sense.

Although of course Matthew Hoggard comes into consideration, i struggle to think on these flat decks he still has what it takes replicate his Adelaide & Nagpr 06 performances.

How can it make sense to pick such an inadequate bowler? Whatever Hoggard or Harmison can no longer do they're both infintely superior to such a poor bowler who can do nothing..........least of all bowl two consecutive balls on a good length.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
We invite these people into our living rooms and our lives for hours and days at a time. When there's a good commentator - and for me the best are CMJ, Aggers, Vic Marks and Jeremy Coney - I really do enjoy listening to them. But, yes, it irritates the hell out of me when they're rubbish, poseurs or cliche merchants.

Sky seem to take the view that ex-Test stars make good commentators. And almost without exception they don't, as Sky proves repeatedly.

I'm happy to have a quality commentator with an ex-player as an expert pundit to be turned to for some analysis. But with Sky it's "star" appeal over quality every time. And given how soul-destroying the cricket has been during this series, I'm in an unforgiving mood.
Well, they tried putting in a non-test playing commentator, i.e. Tony Cozia and look how that turned out... Agree with you, re. star quality but don't think the commentators on sky are as bad as you're making them out to be... liked Holding, Bishop and Gower, it's quite hard to commentate on things people are seeing right infront of them and thus cant really be compared to those you have on your list up there...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, they tried putting in a non-test playing commentator, i.e. Tony Cozia and look how that turned out...
I used to like Tony Cozier but, as with Richie Benaud, either I've grown out of him or he's grown too old.

liked Holding, Bishop and Gower, it's quite hard to commentate on things people are seeing right infront of them and thus cant really be compared to those you have on your list up there...
It's not hard to commentate on what's on the screen - it's just a different skill to radio commentary. Simon Hughes, for instance, is a rubbish radio commentator but an outstanding TV commentator in that he actually looks at the pictures and adds some worthwhile analysis to them. A golden rule is that if you can't add to the pictures, keep your trap shut. And the vast majority of TV commentators ignore that rule.

Holding is the best of those you've mentioned, and probably the best on Sky. He has some slightly odd-ball views and suffers from being penned with Botham (who tries to be his mate and calls him Mikey all the time) rather than some competent fellow-commentators. In better company, Holding could be outstanding.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
BP Nash - Shouted Out - MS Panesar - 72 (206)
Nash has gone for a referral and Steve Bucknor is deploying the decibel-ometer and... oh this one's taking a while... no, he's reprieved him, the shout wasn't quite loud enough and Nash lives to block the life out of the game a little bit more

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Well, they tried putting in a non-test playing commentator, i.e. Tony Cozia and look how that turned out.
I used to like Tony Cozier but, as with Richie Benaud, either I've grown out of him or he's grown too old.
Cozier was pretty good back in the day I'm sure. The last year or so he's fallen off. Should be thinking about retiring soon and stick to just writign articles. Fazeer Mohammed would be a good replacement if he feels like giving up radio.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Sure enough, another four byes through the bloke standing behind the stumps avoids the follow-on. ffs - most of us typing here could stop more deliveries than Prior.

Gee, I can cope with losing the series, but the level of incompetence is more than I can stomach. Test cricket it ain't.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Nash is like the white Chanderpaul, love watching these two bat.. Sorts the really devoted cricket fans from the rest :)
Depends who you're supporting. I love seeing my own team grind the runs out. I can't bear it when it's the opposition. Slow torture.

I'm just off to slit my wrists.