• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Amjad was picked before anyone knew Sidebottom was going to be unfit or what this pitch was going to play like though. The only reason he's playing this Test is because he was the only option.

The choice of a week-and-a-bit ago should've seen Kabir Ali and Davies picked ahead of Amjad without a moment's thought.
Amjad was never going to be picked as a front-liner though, it was always going to be as part of a five-man attack. That's why he was flown in to replace Flintoff.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Amjad was never going to be picked as a front-liner though, it was always going to be as part of a five-man attack. That's why he was flown in to replace Flintoff.
I'm not saying what you say about whether he was going to play as part of a four-man or five-man attack is meaningless, but when there's such an obvious difference in class between Amjad Khan and Kabir Ali \ Mark Davies, I'd have both of them in either a four- or five-man attack ahead of him.

Uppercut

I'm not saying what you say about whether he was going to play as part of a four-man or five-man attack is meaningless, but when there's such an obvious difference in class between Amjad Khan and Kabir Ali \ Mark Davies, I'd have both of them in either a four- or five-man attack ahead of him.
Me too in the case of Ali, perhaps not Davies but I'm not sure (never seen him). But it's not the most shocking decision you'll ever see.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Simmons seems to have improved his footwork a fair bit since I last saw him a couple of years back. Hopefully he can get off the mark soon though. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Amjad's arm does look somewhat superficial, rather like Murali.

Anyway, he still bowls plenty of normal-style no-balls, clearly.

pskov

International 12th Man
Nothing wrong with his action, but he needs to stop bowling two slower balls an over. Two in a spell is more than enough at test level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The sheer fact that we both considered the comparison though makes me think he's in trouble.
Haha yeah, It looks extremely similar to Bird's action from behind, but it looks perfectly fine from side-on. I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it's an illusion caused by his gather just before his delivery stride and his wrist position.

Uppercut

Amjad's arm does look somewhat superficial, rather like Murali.

Anyway, he still bowls plenty of normal-style no-balls, clearly.
I think he's hyperextending, more like Akhtar. Slowed down it looks okay, but in real time it looks bad.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's not Lendl Simmons. They've just put Greg Blewett in a WI helmet!
He's a bit old now.

Funny how everyone seems to think they're one and the same, though. I don't remember Blewett's exact style myself, else I presume I would as well.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He's a bit old now.

Funny how everyone seems to think they're one and the same, though. I don't remember Blewett's exact style myself, else I presume I would as well.
I wouldn't be too upset; there is more important things in life! :)

I don't remember much about Greg aside from when he and Waugh he-****ed the South Africans and then a spell of sick reverse swing bowling against the Windies.

Anyhow, seems like there is enough going for England still to fancy there chances which is good.

Top_Cat

Who knows, maybe it'd have meant ol' Phil was something more than an utterly awful Test opener?
Don't be so quick to judge. Early on, he was rated as having plenty of potential, his ton in Melbourne against the Aussies in 1992 for example. His career took a fairly quick turn for the worst when he was flattened by Sid Lawrence in England. Some players just aren't the same after a nasty hit.

EDIT: Not saying he was the second coming of Greenidge as many were at the time, just that he had the potential to be pretty decent at least.

Last edited:

ozone

First Class Debutant
Seriously, Monty has grown balls since he was dropped, he didn't so much as look at the batsmen before did he? Now he's laying into Simmons, and last night he was having words with Powell. WAG.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Okay, Monty's appeals can be a bit OTT. But I don't think Cozier needs to get so uppity about them being 'intimidating'.