• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

shivfan

Banned
England should prepare a load of traditional green seamers on the return leg in retaliation - bring Mark Davies in, he'll basically bowl WI out for under 200 single-handed every innings, pick Sidebottom and Flintoff and have the rest batsmen. Should win each Test inside two days no bother.
Really? Edwards is pretty quick, and Taylor can generate a bit of pace too....
:)

ozone

First Class Debutant
The guy's action is totally fine, don't see what all the fuss is about tbh, Mikey Holding actually said that you can't fault his action... conclusive enough?

All he does is **** his wrist upon release which is actually a good thing for the bowler and at point of delivery his arm is straight
As was said on here before, his action probably is fine, its just the ****ing of the wrist that makes it look dodgy, along with the fact he straightens his arm a lot later in approach.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Really? Edwards is pretty quick, and Taylor can generate a bit of pace too....
:)
Not about pace TBH. If we prepare pitches to take swing and seam, theres no way the majority of the WI batsmen are going to be able to cope with it. And the WI only have two bowlers (on the evidence of this series) that look even troubling as pace bowlers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Amjad = One test wonder.
Don't count your chickens - could easily be gifted 3-130 and have people say he "did well to keep going on a lifeless track" and all the usual nonsense and then we'd be stuck with him either in or around for the next 2 years.

Anyway, I don't really wish I could say I was surprised, but the cliche doesn't really work unless say I wish I could... Amjad Khan was yet another utterly diabolical selection.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Imagine how much of a better spectacle this series would have been if England hadn't collapsed in the 1st Test..
Or if we'd taken that last wicket at the ARG.
England could easily still have lost had they not collapsed - WI were ahead of the game even pre-collapse. I do, obviously, wish we'd gotten that last wicket at The ARG, but I don't think anyone should imagine the Kensington Test would've been any different had that happened.

This one, though - beyond all question.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Don't count your chickens - could easily be gifted 3-130 and have people say he "did well to keep going on a lifeless track" and all the usual nonsense and then we'd be stuck with him either in or around for the next 2 years.
Bit harsh to judge the kid on this one performance TBH, especially when he's only bowled 4 overs. If he bowls crap today, fair enough, but last night, he was bowling in test cricket for the first time, was probably trying too hard and thus didn't bowl as well as he could have.

Lets wait and see, he might turn out to be an inspired selection, or he might end up as a one test wonder. Either way, we're stuck with him in this test and therefore need him to bowl OK for us to level the series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I said - I said his selection in the party (his selection in this Test was pretty much a no-choice scenario) was a shocker the minute it was announced, and it doesn't surprise me at all how diabolically he apparently bowled yesterday.

I've made my judgement on him long before yesterday.

ozone

First Class Debutant
As I said - I said his selection in the party (his selection in this Test was pretty much a no-choice scenario) was a shocker the minute it was announced, and it doesn't surprise me at all how diabolically he apparently bowled yesterday.

I've made my judgement on him long before yesterday.
Fair enough. As I've said before I've seen pretty much nothing of him in county cricket, so maybe you know something I don't.

Powell gone early, thats good for England. Whilst he was at the crease the game wasn't going anywhere, at least we can have a go at Sarwan early.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good spell of bowling this from Broad. I've been impressed. Just his problem seems to be his spells later in the day but his done ok this series given the surfaces.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Monty's LBW shout looked pretty good to me, I have to say. Hawkeye had it clipping the top of leg, but you see then given nowadays.

Another one in the debit column for Tiffin.

&, whisper it, but Broad's actually bowling pretty well too.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I think you're being harsh on Amjad. He had a good season last year, averaged 20 with the ball, taking a decent haul of wickets, and has had decent enough campaigns in the last 2 seasons. I'm not too sure who else could have come in and done a great deal better. Mark Davies has good domestic figures, but would he be effective at his pace and with no grass on the track? In England he should definitely be considered, but not in the West Indies. I say give Amjad a little more time, and if he bowls awfully again today, then bin him, but he only bowled 5 overs yesterday, abit early to judge.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think you're being harsh on Amjad. He had a good season last year, averaged 20 with the ball, taking a decent haul of wickets, and has had decent enough campaigns in the last 2 seasons. I'm not too sure who else could have come in and done a great deal better. Mark Davies has good domestic figures, but would he be effective at his pace and with no grass on the track? In England he should definitely be considered, but not in the West Indies. I say give Amjad a little more time, and if he bowls awfully again today, then bin him, but he only bowled 5 overs yesterday, abit early to judge.
If people are blasting Amjad Khan because he bowled four bad overs yesterday then yes, they're over-reacting. However, from what I can see, most of the people who have been criticial of him were in fact critical of the selection before he'd even stepped foot onto the ground as he's only had one convincing domestic season and never truly shown the consistency to deserve selection in the first place.

pskov

International 12th Man
Shocker of a drop from Collingwood there. Panesar is bowling well so far today, let's just hope Colly get's a chance to make amends.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Monty's LBW shout looked pretty good to me, I have to say. Hawkeye had it clipping the top of leg, but you see then given nowadays.

Another one in the debit column for Tiffin.

&, whisper it, but Broad's actually bowling pretty well too.
Monty's bowling really well as well. He's slowed right down.

And he should have had a wicket there, Collingwood would have caught that 99 times out of 100.