• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Steulen

International Regular
Haha...

Strauss: I read Richard's post and thought it a bit strange that Gayle was bowling so early...then switched to Cricinfo and saw it was Edwards...well done skipper!

And another well done to Owais Shah.

This might actually become a Test match if England insist on it.

Steulen

International Regular
Indeed. Chose the wrong man to take liberties with. Never a run in the normal scheme of things, but with some of the shoddy fielding we've seen he was maybe a bit unfortunate it went to Bravo.
You obviously haven't read Khaled Hosseini's biography of Shah: The S***e Runner.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed. Chose the wrong man to take liberties with. Never a run in the normal scheme of things, but with some of the shoddy fielding we've seen he was maybe a bit unfortunate it went to Bravo.
You're being generous. 2nd self-inflicted runout in the series, and his 3rd in a handful of tests. No-one that stupid has any right to be playing test cricket.

sammy2

Banned
Lolol@shah and lolol@the poster who suggest shah is right for counting on WI missing again. funny.

As ian bishop said, you can't keep bravo out of the game.

pskov

International 12th Man
You imagine not.
I can only imagine it's a pressure thing. Duncan Fletcher has written that the reason Shah never really got a chance when he was coach was because he didn't think Shah had a strong enough mentality to deal with test cricket. And tbh, nothing I've seen in this series so far has suggested he was incorrect.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I can only imagine it's a pressure thing. Duncan Fletcher has written that the reason Shah never really got a chance when he was coach was because he didn't think Shah had a strong enough mentality to deal with test cricket. And tbh, nothing I've seen in this series so far has suggested he was incorrect.
Yeah, have to agree. He's been told (apparently) that he was going to have a decent run but you only have to look at the snail's pace scoring to see he hasn't relaxed into his normal game.

Looks a bit short of the requisite class too, in all honesty. Very bottom handed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Looks a bit short of the requisite class too, in all honesty. Very bottom handed.
And that's been such a huge problem for Collingwood?

Shah's problem so far has indeed been apparent anxiousness. Strange, given that he played so well on debut. Either a suspect temperament or just the feeling that his time is short.

Sadly, such a feeling will probably be true - and the outcome has caused the cause, as it were. When you play your first Test as a first-choice at the age of 30, you're going to have to be an instant success to have much of a career.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
And that's been such a huge problem for Collingwood?

Shah's problem so far has indeed been apparent anxiousness. Strange, given that he played so well on debut. Either a suspect temperament or just the feeling that his time is short.

Sadly, such a feeling will probably be true - and the outcome has caused the cause, as it were. When you play your first Test as a first-choice at the age of 30, you're going to have to be an instant success to have much of a career.
Collingwood's bottom hand might be the dominant one, but it doesn't cause him to play across the line as often as Shah. Colly has a limited technique, but does at least have the virtue of playing straight.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Really? I've seen Collingwood play accross the line countless times (mostly successfully, occasionally unsuccessfully) - in fact his inability to play through the off-side off the front foot would be a severe hindrance if bowlers abounded who could exploit this.

The only difference between the two is that Collingwood has established that he can still be successful with that technique, Shah has not (yet... possibly).

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea Shah just doesn't have it. They've basically got a draw a line under him and Bell as Test players.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Great, draw a line under someone after 3 games.

Anyway, Prior managing something really fairly remarkable - scoring pretty quickly on a very difficult pitch on which to force the pace. 41 off 43 so far.