• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Finally Pietersen has referred something for something other than "how dare they give me lbw?"

FFS, why is this taking so long? It patently pitched outside leg, just get the bloody decision reversed.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
So how was picking the only 11 players available poor selection? It's either one or it's the other, it cannot be both.

If the pitch allows it to work, it's fair enough to try. If it doesn't, it's a wholly stupid approach. Of course, there are other things which impact on whether it'll work, but it is not a bad idea automatically, regardless of all circumstances.

That's a different matter. However, one has to ask - which is more important to fans? Victory, or interesting cricket? The former usually seems to be the answer to me.

I have thought that, truth be told. I often wonder whether anyone would truly dare to employ such a strategy.
Can't get the multi-quote thingy to work so you'll have to make do.

Firstly, have we established that Benn was unavailable for selection? Even if he wasn't, I'm criticising the selectors for the original squad selection and would regard them as partially culpable for the Taylor situation in terms of not ensuring/insisting on additional fast bowling cover.

On the pitch not being the sole determinant of whether selecting a side to not win a test match is a valid approach, I think you're agreeing with me. On whether I'm saying a negative aproach is never the right way to go, it's partly a question of semantics. I certainly don't think you should ever set out to be entirely negative before the game's even started, but a - let's say - conservative approach is certainly valid in circumstances like this. Balance is still required though, and the balance here is not right (unless you want to go the whole hog, as discussed). I think that - when Pietersen arrives at the crease - the folly of West Indies' selection may become more apparent.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Looked well outside leg in the first instance to be honest. Decent referral but really poor umpiring itfp
With Russell Tiffin and Daryl Harper in the middle, dunno what anyone's expecting.

The delay was due to the radios not working, apparently. :wacko:

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
Was scepitcal at first when he called for the physio, but Shah's hand actually looked pretty bad once he took his gloves off. I'm sure that after half an hour or so physio work on them he will be ready to come back in next though.
But all that stuff he was drinking will probably make him sick!

King Pietersen

International Captain
You'd have thought Shah would be used to his batting style now, and the fact he grips the bat so hard. You'd think he'd know exactly how much fluid he needs to avoid cramp in such conditions, surely he's played in humid hot conditions before? =/

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't get the multi-quote thingy to work so you'll have to make do.
Just use the [QUOTE] and [/QUOTE] tags before and after what you want to be separate.
Firstly, have we established that Benn was unavailable for selection? Even if he wasn't, I'm criticising the selectors for the original squad selection and would regard them as partially culpable for the Taylor situation in terms of not ensuring/insisting on additional fast bowling cover.
That's fair enough to an extent - but those errors were made earlier rather than this morning. I presumed you were thus terming them "administrative errors". That was what I meant it had to be one or the other of. If Benn was indeed dropped for disciplinary reasons (thus unavailable) then the only errors came a little while ago, rather than today.
On the pitch not being the sole determinant of whether selecting a side to not win a test match is a valid approach, I think you're agreeing with me.
Pretty much. But it's certainly the overwhelming force in whether or not a match can be drawn.
On whether I'm saying a negative aproach is never the right way to go, it's partly a question of semantics. I certainly don't think you should ever set out to be entirely negative before the game's even started, but a - let's say - conservative approach is certainly valid in circumstances like this. Balance is still required though, and the balance here is not right (unless you want to go the whole hog, as discussed).
I suppose "negative" automatically has, well... negative connotations (no other way to put it). Conservative is probably a better term. The whole point of taking a conservative rather than proactive approach to whatever result you're looking for though is that you're going to throw-out the balance. I know this is an unbalanced team - the question is, is deliberately not picking a balanced team fair enough? I think probably so, in this case.
I think that - when Pietersen arrives at the crease - the folly of West Indies' selection may become more apparent.
Well he's here now, and hasn't been dismissed despite Russell Tiffin's best attempts. I don't feel all that confident about his ability to force the pace on this pitch TBH. We shall see.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You'd have thought Shah would be used to his batting style now, and the fact he grips the bat so hard. You'd think he'd know exactly how much fluid he needs to avoid cramp in such conditions, surely he's played in humid hot conditions before? =/
I think he's cramped-up just about every time I've seen him do so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well he's here now, and hasn't been dismissed despite Russell Tiffin's best attempts. I don't feel all that confident about his ability to force the pace on this pitch TBH. We shall see.
Started pretty well... 8 off 10 so far.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Brendan Nash really has changed quite a bit between the ages of 24 and 30.

Can only just recognise it's the same guy.