• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm still baffled as to how Panesar is more likely to force a positive result than Rashid. You've already got one finger spinner who's doing a much better job than Panesar.

England's selections are so abysmal. There needs to be a clear-out, get someone in who doesn't talk crap, knows what they're doing and has a proper character. Not Boycott specifically, but someone with his virtues. Cut down the number of selectors and get Samit Patel a personal trainer because with each time Shah bats he seems to get worse.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Anyone got any ideas the last time we played two finger-spinners outside the sub-continent? Must have been a good few years unless I'm missing something obvious...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I find that very surprising. Seems self-evident to me that it's a much too negative, unbalanced team. The injury to Taylor and speculation about Benn don't change that, other than to indict the whole WICB rather than just its selection panel.
If you're happy that Taylor and Benn weren't to play, your only grumble can be that sufficient cover was not arranged.

As for the negative selection, well, I've always had no time whatsoever for this line of thinking employed by so many that negative is always bad. There are times when thinking negatively, in terms of aiming to draw rather than win, is the right approach. A draw in this Test is series victory for West Indies. If they think they can draw the game by picking this team, then well played to them. The danger in said approach - the only danger - is that the pitch you're playing on will not allow a draw, and in that case the fact you've an extraordinarily weak bowling-attack will mostly likely mean you lose rather than win.

Whether the selection is good or bad depends entirely on the pitch. If they've judged the pitch well, it's a good selection. If they've misjudged it, it's a bad one.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm still baffled as to how Panesar is more likely to force a positive result than Rashid. You've already got one finger spinner who's doing a much better job than Panesar.

England's selections are so abysmal. There needs to be a clear-out, get someone in who doesn't talk crap, knows what they're doing and has a proper character. Not Boycott specifically, but someone with his virtues. Cut down the number of selectors and get Samit Patel a personal trainer because with each time Shah bats he seems to get worse.
:-O Oh dear God, no. KP would be dropped for getting out playing an attacking shot (a cardinal sin, players are only allowed to get out nicking a ball while covering their stumps). Owais Shah would be thrown out of the squad for refusing to embrace Boycott's self-appointed Proper Way To Bat. The ODI side would hand a recall to Anthony McGrath, not only fulfilling the Yorkshire quota but also meeting the requirement of a few more batsmen with an ODI strike-rate below 50. The entire setup will recoil in terror at the hint of any excitement at any stage during a match.

Please retract your statement immediately.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyone got any ideas the last time we played two finger-spinners outside the sub-continent? Must have been a good few years unless I'm missing something obvious...
We certainly did at Old Trafford in 1998 and 1999 (Croft and Giles and Tufnell and Such respectively) but I think that's the last time we did in a home Test. Absolutely certain that we haven't in South Africa, Australia or New Zealand since then, and we didn't in West Indies last time either. So I think that's the last time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:-O Oh dear God, no. KP would be dropped for getting out playing an attacking shot (a cardinal sin, players are only allowed to get out nicking a ball while covering their stumps). Owais Shah would be thrown out of the squad for refusing to embrace Boycott's self-appointed Proper Way To Bat. The ODI side would hand a recall to Anthony McGrath, not only fulfilling the Yorkshire quota but also meeting the requirement of a few more batsmen with an ODI strike-rate below 50. The entire setup will recoil in terror at the hint of any excitement at any stage during a match.
Seriously, sometimes I think people only take notice of some of the stuff Boycott says and completely ignore others in order to get the impression of him that they want to get.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Pick another spinner maybe? Dave Mohammed? Amit Jaggernauth?
Mohammed's not been playing for T&T this season. Either because of Daren Ganga or his own free will. Jaggernauth's not been up to his usual standard this season. Miller, Odean Brown, Shane Shillingford and Anthony martin probably ahead of him. They're all averaging in the 20s and teens while he's averaging over 30. Better strike rates as well.

Season 2008/09 in West Indies - First-class matches

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
These two spells at the start of this match is about the most accurate I've ever seen Edwards bowl.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Both teams playing for the draw it would seem. WI understandably and England for no apparent reason. Well actually they are probably under the impression we need a 'solid base' (read 250 at the end of day one) because of one less batsman. Trouble is it takes a lot of time out of the game and we already know we'll be struggling for wickets. Show some initiative ffs

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
These two spells at the start of this match is about the most accurate I've ever seen Edwards bowl.
That and the 91mph bouncer he bowled may be emphasising that he perhaps has been demotivated into bowling slow due to the wicket, a sorry state of affairs.

sammy2

Banned
Both teams playing for the draw it would seem. WI understandably and England for no apparent reason. Well actually they are probably under the impression we need a 'solid base' (read 250 at the end of day one) because of one less batsman. Trouble is it takes a lot of time out of the game and we already know we'll be struggling for wickets. Show some initiative ffs
250 from here is looking impossible

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They have, really. It's just incredibly difficult to force the pace on this surface, because it's very difficult indeed to time the ball. Not going to get any easier either.

Anyway, another half-century for Strauss.