• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Evermind

International Debutant
Like we exclude minnows when looking at a batsman's average, I propose also dropping all games which end up in draws and where at least one side scores 600+ in an innings. The best bowlers in the world can be made to look toothless on a road.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
That was cracking shot for 6 by Taylor. Expecting us to bat until the first drinks break and assess from there. If no wickets are lost I'd expect us to try and bat until tomorrow then declare after the first hour.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Like we exclude minnows when looking at a batsman's average, I propose also dropping all games which end up in draws and where at least one side scores 600+ in an innings. The best bowlers in the world can be made to look toothless on a road.
There's no way matches like the mentioned should have Test status stripped from them, as games involving Bangladesh, SA before 1905/06, NZ before 1960/61 and Zimbabwe since 2003 should.

However, to ignore matches such as from batsmen's averages is fair enough. Not that massive achievements like Sarwan's and others' should be excluded, not at all, they're remarkable feats of endurance whatever the pitch. But they shouldn't be treated as the same as Tests where there's a genuine-ish contest between ball and bat.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Guess it was worth dropping Harmison then for not being hostile enough on two slow pitches where the ball will sit up to be smashed if he had bowled even slightly short.

Where do England keep finding these talentless know-nothing selectors who can't do even a half-decent job?

Bell and Donkey Panesar have repeatedly been picked when they don't deserve to be, the pointless kneejerk changes in this series.The repeated ****-ups of picking the wrong bowlers for the pitch they're playing on. Picking 3 and a half popgun bowlers in this match that was crucial to win.

Completely directionless and clueless.

roseboy64

Alternatively we could just go for the slog after tea and try to make quick runs and put England in with 15 overs or so at them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That'd be the approach for me. Would be crazy to bat for any longer than neccessary. Just have a slog, get out and get bowling at a team who've been in the field for 6 sessions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Depends how confident Gayle will be of the pitch holding up on the last day.
If you don't feel confident of this pitch holding up you'll never feel confident of any pitch lasting five days - and I've seen some that'll last seven or eight.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Should be a couple of overs' time and England's four bowlers will emulate West Indies' and concede 100+.

roseboy64

Didn't see Sarwan's interview. More to do with if he'd feel able to chase down a score if England set one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One thing's fo' sho' - it makes no sense at all for WI to be poking around and leaving now. They should swing and swing hard, and get out quickly.

pskov

International 12th Man
I think this is anyone who made a triple hundred that averaged less than 40 before the match, with their average after the match listed too.

Graham Gooch: 37.92 --> 40.68 (333 vs IND in his 79th test)
Chris Gayle: 36.71 --> 40.04 (317 vs SA in his 50th test)
Bob Simpson: 35.93 --> 41.87 (311 vs ENG in his 30th test)
Gary Sobers: 34.24 --> 48.84 (365* vs PAK in his 17th test)
Sanath Jayasuriya: 38.13 --> 46.29 (340 vs IND in his 25th test)
Hanif Mohammad: 29.90 --> 39.09 (337 vs WI in his 19th test)
Len Hutton: 29.50 --> 66.66 (365 vs AUS in his 6th test)
John Edrich: 28.33 --> 54.16 (310* vs NZ in his 9th test)
Andy Sandham: 24.00 --> 38.21 (325 vs WI in his 14th test)