• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

ozone

First Class Debutant
I actually believe Third Man can be a useful position, but it does seem odd to have one given the current situation.

Sarwan is looking unbelievably good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I actually believe Third Man can be a useful position, but it does seem odd to have one given the current situation.
If there's ever a time not to have one it's now, true, but I'd still be in favour.

You wouldn't believe how dispiriting it is for a bowler to see even just a couple of deliveries edged down there. Especially on a deck as relatively unforgiving as this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FFS, Pietersen's inability to get a ball in his hand and not throw it (to use David Gower's phrasing of the matter) does irritate the hell out of me. OK, mostly it doesn't cost runs, but there's just no sense in it. None whatsoever.

ozone

First Class Debutant
FFS, Pietersen's inability to get a ball in his hand and not throw it (to use David Gower's phrasing of the matter) does irritate the hell out of me. OK, mostly it doesn't cost runs, but there's just no sense in it. None whatsoever.
Ha, its quite an Australian/South African thing, but it is annoying to do it when it is that needless.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If there's ever a time not to have one it's now, true, but I'd still be in favour.

You wouldn't believe how dispiriting it is for a bowler to see even just a couple of deliveries edged down there. Especially on a deck as relatively unforgiving as this.
I'd always have one to Sarwan. Always. And to Cook. Some players just score all their runs down there. A lot of edges down there wouldn't get cut off by a third man though.

Malcolm Marshall refused to bowl without one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd always have one to Sarwan. Always. And to Cook. Some players just score all their runs down there. A lot of edges down there wouldn't get cut off by a third man though.
If you placed him well, in conjunction with the slips, I'd bet about 65-70% would be.
Malcolm Marshall refused to bowl without one.
Not for no reason was he the best seam-bowler ever. Part of a bowler's skill is cutting-off common run-scoring areas.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BTW, haha at Anderson almost tripping Ryan Hinds up as they ran one.

And if there's any Barbadians here, do Barbadian batsmen tend to be good players of spin? Or are they like Jamaicans?

Obviously Trinidadians and Guyanese are famous for their skill against spin. Almost as famous as Indians.

shivfan

Banned
BTW, haha at Anderson almost tripping Ryan Hinds up as they ran one.

And if there's any Barbadians here, do Barbadian batsmen tend to be good players of spin? Or are they like Jamaicans?

Obviously Trinidadians and Guyanese are famous for their skill against spin. Almost as famous as Indians.
Historically, Barbadians are supposed to be better players of pace....

But Hinds bowls spin, so you'd think he'd have some idea how to play against it.
:unsure:

ozone

First Class Debutant
Is it just me, or would Pietersens sunglasses look more at home on Liam Gallagher?

EDIT: Quite seriously, looking at that replay, the way they glint in the sun might be quite distracting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I dunno, but I do know that Pietersen's introduction normally means a few nice easy runs for whoever wants them.

FFS, Umpires have absolutely no right to tell the fielders how to throw the ball. None whatsoever. Rubbing dust on it being outlawed is ridiculous enough, without trying to tell the fielders they must keep the ball off the ground.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Goooooonnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeee. Is that caught silly-point or lbw? It's the former, because the catch wasn't taken.

Interesting replays, suggesting it might've missed leg, but obviously right not to use the referral because that'd have been upheld without the predictive part of HawkEye.

shivfan

Banned
Yep! Hinds always was a walking wicket....

If he can't scure runs here, he won't score runs anywhere. He should be dropped.
:@

sammy2

Banned
WI players are always given out for half chances. No fear of giving out a WI batsman wrongly it seems. Im sick of the cheating.