• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

ozone

First Class Debutant
I reckon England need at least 5 more wickets between now and tea to give themselves a better chance at the win. New Ball will then be available and hopefully will let us knock the tail over fairly quickly. We should still be over 200 ahead and have the choice to enforce the follow-on.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha. First 50 in 23 test innings (!!!) for Smith brought up with a meaty edge that would've been straight down second slip's throat.

Why don't we have one?!?!? FFS, I thought we needed to take wickets, but maybe it's just me. :mellow:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why, when we are 500 runs ahead, do we have no second slip?!
I don't mind about having just 3 fielders in the cordon (it's unlikely you're going to get anything much edged wider on this sort of deck), but I do generally prefer to have them in a row rather than spaced-out. I'm a Botham\Holding POV merchant rather than a Hussain\Atherton one.

If anything only because it's less frustrating for a bowler to see one going well wide of all three than just between two. But I do think - although clearly I'm no logger and there are people who are paid good money to do that job so have presumably noticed the important patterns - that more edges just tend to go through second\third-slip than fourth-slip\gully.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ha. First 50 in 23 test innings (!!!) for Smith
IIRR that's the exact same number Mark Butcher went without a half-century for, between 1998/99 and 2001. Striking similarities as well - highly talented left-hand openers who were often made to bat three and had many barren Test spells.

And Devon Smith now given out and referred.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't mind about having just 3 fielders in the cordon (it's unlikely you're going to get anything much edged wider on this sort of deck), but I do generally prefer to have them in a row rather than spaced-out. I'm a Botham\Holding POV merchant rather than a Hussain\Atherton one.

If anything only because it's less frustrating for a bowler to see one going well wide of all three than just between two.
The batsman can pick gaps to third man really easily in a three slips+no gully field. But I don't understand having a gap between 1st and 2nd slip.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Important innings for Hinds.

As much as I think he's a good batsman, though, and as much as I think he deserves his place, I don't feel very confident about his chances today at all.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FFS, it must've taken 2 minutes to get the replay that showed the ball hit in line. Why the blazes couldn't that have been done sooner?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The batsman can pick gaps to third man really easily in a three slips+no gully field. But I don't understand having a gap between 1st and 2nd slip.
You reckon? You're playing very dangerous games indeed trying to hit the ball to third-man with more than 2 catchers (wherever they are) behind the bat.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You reckon? You're playing very dangerous games indeed trying to hit the ball to third-man with more than 2 catchers (wherever they are) behind the bat.
Not on the drive, that would be suicidal, but every single cut shot would go for four if the bowler dropped even marginally short.