• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If they score 350 in 100 overs in the first dig they'd be mad to enforce the follow-on, so you can't be expecting an innings victory.
Nonetheless, they'll have to go back out there and score the runs they're currently scoring now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nonetheless, they'll have to go back out there and score the runs they're currently scoring now.
However, it's better to get them in the second-innings when you've got 10 wickets in hand than trying to get them in the first-innings when essentially another wicket now and that's one end to bowl certified dot-balls at.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
However, it's better to get them in the second-innings when you've got 10 wickets in hand than trying to get them in the first-innings when essentially another wicket now and that's one end to bowl certified dot-balls at.
Stuart Broad/Graeme Swann are certified dot balls? News to me. If the run-rate stagnates at any stage, obviously it's time to declare. I'm as bored as the next guy but the fact is that this is the right thing to do. One and a half intense hours to go at them with 600+ runs behind you is all you need.

Howsie

International Captain
Guys whats the pitch like, If Tim Ambrose is making runs the West Indies are either bowling badly or the pitch is as flat as hell.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Stuart Broad/Graeme Swann are certified dot balls? News to me. If the run-rate stagnates at any stage, obviously it's time to declare. I'm as bored as the next guy but the fact is that this is the right thing to do. One and a half intense hours to go at them with 600+ runs behind you is all you need.
1-et-demi is fine, but an hour or less isn't enough IMO.

As for Swann and Broad, Broad's a left-hander so he could easily have dot-balls bowled at him by aiming down leg-side, and Swann doesn't have the ability to hit the short delivery so just bang it in at him.

They're neither of them top-order batsmen so they can't be expected to pace themselves like one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Guys whats the pitch like, If Tim Ambrose is making runs the West Indies are either bowling badly or the pitch is as flat as hell.
Not neccessarily, but Ambrose was indeed dropped. There's not a lot in this pitch either and West Indies gave-up the ghost a fair while ago. You couldn't really wish for much more ideal circumstances under which to bat.

Bopara finally is caught at long-leg off Edwards... and by Taylor as well. :happy:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep.

And if England aren't intending to enforce the follow-on if they get the chance (which would be utterly barmy) then there's even more reason to bat on. England scored at barely more than 4 an over in their 2nd innings in the last match. They're scoring at 6s here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And as such they should be able to do that in the second-innings, as this pitch is unlikely to become two-paced.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And England wave goodbye to some win percentage with bad declaration and then later slow over rates.

For a start they should have batted out the rest of that over, that's 4 free deliveries that will vanish.

Woodster

International Captain
Great effort from the boys. Thrilled with Bopara's maiden Test century, who gave a chance early, but thereafter batted excellently. He's duel with Edwards was fascinating, he plays the pull/hook shot very well and was willing to take his chances in their confrontation (maybe once or twice too often). Has an excellent temperament, and plays spin very well.

Ambrose's cameo simply added to WI's woe, who will now feel like they've been well and truly trampled on. However, they hold the lead in this series, and it is now down to the batting to hold onto that lead. Going to be a decent passage of play here, let's see if Jimmy and the boys can get any kind of movement out there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anderson to bowl the opening over and Smith to face the first ball. Extraordinary. Neither have ever happened before in partnership with those they're opening with (ie, Sidebottom and Gayle). Well, there is 1 exception - Lord's 2007.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Cue England to skittle WI twice and win by an innings, but this is possibly the most pop-gun England attack I have seen in many, many years.